Aklan is the oldest province in the Philippines dated since 1213 AD. It is located in the northwestern part of Panay Island in Western Visayas Region. This province is the home of the country's version of Mardi Gras Ati-Atihan Festival and gateway to the world’s finest beach, the Boracay Island.
Aklan is subdivided into 17 municipalities namely:
- Batan - the historic and oldest capital of Aklan
- Kalibo - provincial capital and air gateway (ICAO: RPVK, IATA: KLO), Home of the famous Ati-Atihan Festival
- Malay - another air gateway (ICAO: RPVE, IATA: MPH) to Boracay Island
- Nabas - nature lover's haven, venue for Bariw Festival offers products of mat and hat made of native woven grass
- New Washington - known for its Sampaguita Garden and Pink Sisters Convent
- Tangalan - launches its project Bugna it Tangalan which showcases eco-tourism project from reforestation to beaches
- Residence of His Eminence Jaime Cardinal L. Sin, the late Catholic Archbishop of Manila located at the heart of the poblacion. It contains a chapel & houses several pieces of paintings presented to him as price of the church.
- Immaculata Adoration Chapel & Convent- the Pink .
- Sisters Convent in Barangay Polo is interesting in the sense that it is the only contemporary nunnery in Aklan & in the whole region VI.
- Beach cottages/restaurants... Lyca, Sampaguita Gardens, Sikini & others. These restaurants offer delicious foods consisting of fresh fishes, shells, crustaceans etc. Swimming pools are featured at Aklan Sampaguita Gardens Resort and Spa including a convention center, precious moments gallery, hotel rooms, 43- ft aquarium, butterfly farm, the Thai Mansion that exhibits beautiful furniture, paintings & home decor.
Nabas has one of the last remaining low elevation intact rainforest that is home to various endemic flora and fauna. Nabas also cradles numerous waterfalls providing soothing and interesting recreationa area. A perfect place for ecotourist, it has several therapeutic cool dipping basins.
- Basang cave
- Igpangi Falls
- Magirok Falls
- Magsulong Falls
- Pinatuad Falls
- Sakaan Falls
- Sayaw Falls
- Tagubtub Falls
- Tagororoc Community Based Ecotourism Site
- Sumalaysay Falls
- Well-preserved cold springs Huromhurom
- Fern Valley
- 21 km. long winding coastline
- Subongcogon Diving Point
Festivity The Nabas Bariw Festival which is celebrated (every May 12 15).
- Bakawan Eco-Park
Treat yourself to an extraordinary nature thrill as you tour around the eco-park that features the multi-awarded 75-hectare mangrove reforestation considered as the Best in Asia and recipient of the Golden Eagle Award for Excellence in environmental preservation.
An "eco-walk" made of bamboos will take you into the heart of the mangrove plantation.
Discover and explore Libacao‚ a fourth class interior municipality 29 km. southwest of the capital town of Kalibo. It has a vast land area, a relatively colder weather condition and beautiful natural scenery consisting of green valleys, upland farms, high mountain ranges, virgin forests,tropical flora, fauna and wildlife, numerous waterfalls, natural springs and creeks.
Rich in natural resources and blessed with fertile soils favorable to agriculture, this town has become the leading producer of Abaca fiber in Western Visayas. Almost all 24 barangays are now accessible to transportation using motorcycles except for the two farthest barangays, Oyang and Dalagsaan which could only be reached by foot for 2 3 days.
Libacao is emerging to be discovered as an adventure destination of the province where extreme physical challenge awaits visitors. The wild river near the mouth of the Aklan river are ideal for bamboo rafting and kayaking that would compliment the experience of the "white beaches" of Boracay.
The Aklanons primarily speak Akeanon. The people also speak English, Tagalog, Hiligaynon, and Cebuano.