- For other places with the same name, see Alta (disambiguation).
Alta is also known as "the Aurora Borealis city".
The tourist information seems to move around on a daily basis, so the first thing you might do is wind up traveling all over Alta looking for it. As of June 2012, the information center is in the Nordly hotel, on the left, just as you enter town from the South. (You may notice other information signs as you travel through Alta, but almost all of them point to centers that have closed.)
Alta Airport is the busiest airport in Finnmark. Widerøe  provides services from regional destinations including Kirkenes and Hammerfest while Scandinavian Airlines  and Norwegian  has depatures from Oslo and Tromsø.
Fastest from south Scandinavia to Alta: E4 to Luleå, then E10 and 392 and 403 past Pajala to the border to Finland, then E8 and road 93.
Search http://www.177finnmark.no/ for bus connections.
Alta is not a large city, but distances inside it are larger than might be expected. E6 is 12 km long inside the densely populated area.
- Prehistoric rock carvings - UNESCO World Heritage Site. Rock art is found in five separate areas in Alta, the largest being at Hjemmeluft/Jiepmaluokta, where Alta Museum is situated. This is the only area available to the public. In the summer season, groups are offered guided tours to the rock carvings. In the winter, the rock carvings are covered with snow, and not available to the public. The rock carvings in Alta were made by hunters and fishers in the Late Stone Age/Early Metal Age, between 6200 and 2000 years ago.
- GLØD, Klekkeriet – Kulturnæringshus, Vesterhaugveien 1, Bossekop – Alta, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Local organizer of Aurora Borealis hunting expeditions. Also offers: cross country skiing, snowshoeing,canoeing and mountain biking guided tours.
Search sites such as booking.com find around 5 places for accommodation in or near Alta.
- Alta Hostel, Kvenvikmoen, 9518 Alta, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Summer only. This hostel is about 14km from Alta, so it is hard to get to without a car. A public bus passes it once in the morning on the way to Alta, and there is one bus back in the afternoon.
- Mid range
- Best Western Nordlys Alta, Bekkefaret 3 (2 km west of city centre), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- High end
- Rica Alta, Løkkeveien 61 (in city centre), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
|Routes through Alta|
|Kirkenes ← Lakselv ←||N S||→ Skibotn → Narvik|