Ambala is essentially a twin city consisting of Ambala Cantonment and Ambala City, 3 km apart, which between them are home to around half a million people. Established in 1843, it is one of the oldest cantonments in India and one of the oldest district of India: the first commissioner took charge in 1855. It is famous for its food, wholesale and cloth markets.
Ambala does not have a civilian airport; the nearest civil airport is at Chandigarh which is well connected by air to other Indian cities, approximately 40 km away via the Ambala-Chandigarh Expressway.
Ambala Cantonment junction is one of the most famous and biggest junctions of north India. It is connected with high speed rajdhani or shatabdi trains or express trains to all major cities of India. it is the headquarters of division railway which is spanned in 4 states. 4 broad gauge rail lines touch ambala. 1. towards DELHI ( via panipat) 2. towards delhi ( via saharanpur, meerut) also connects to dehrudun, haridwar etc. 3. towards kalka ( for chandigarh and himachal) 4. towards amritsar/ jammu
Ambala is situated on a confluence of major highways. Most important is NH 1 Delhi - Amritsar, apart from this NH22 from Ambala to Shipkila international BORDER via Shimla starts here. same way Amabala-Jodphur NH 65 originates here which goes up to Pali. NH 72 to Dehradun via Himachal and NH 73 also goes past Ambala.
|Driving distances from Ambala|
|New Delhi||200||NH1 (6/4 lane wide)|
|Chandigarh||50||Connects with 4 lane Ambala - Chandigarh Expressway|
Ambala Cantonment bus stand is situated on the main national highway . it is just opposite the railway station of Indian railway system which makes is most appropriate. it is well connected interstate bus terminus. here one can get buses from udhampur in kashmir to kota in rajashtan or gwalior or bhind in m p. . ALL SORT OF LUXURY, AC, VIDEO COACH BUSES are available round the clock for all destination in northindia.
In Ambala local transport depends upon in which part of city you are. At all the major road, local buses both government and private are playing. parallel to that auto rickshaws are also playing . apart from that you can take cycle rickshaw for short distances
- definitely well kept roads, serene cool localities, parks, galaxy mall in Ambala city.
- Holy Redeemer Church, on commercial road.
- St. Paul church, on Alexendra road. Christian cemetery on same road.
- Ambala Air Force Base. One of the oldest airbases in world, the home base of Jaguar Squadron.
shopping in ambala city.
Buying clothes and fruits
- Halwai Bazar, Union Bank, Nicholson Road.. "Golgaps and Chat: Unforgettable experience with original with 7 flavours", Kishori Lal at Halwai Bazar, Ki Kachori, Pahalwan Ki Khasta Kachori, Omi Ke Chole Bhature at Vijay Ratan Chowk.
- Puran Singh Ka Dhabha, On the service road next to the flyover. Non-veg Menu. The original Puran Singh Ka Dhabha is next to the bus stand, the ones facing the highway are copies. Puran Singh's son and widow now run the restaurant.
Kakoo Zee's Ice Cream shakes at Gol Chakker, Near GMN College, Ambala Cantoment this college have love line try to sit on this .
budget hotels are available in the main market some good hotel are also available
- BATRA palace (near main Cantonment bus stand).
- Amra Pali Resort, Ambala (sena nagar crossing).
- a p residency (kalka crossing).
- Kingfisher Hotel, National Hwy 1, ☎ . , HTDC (government-run) hotel.
it is a generally safe city
- Leelawati Hospital, inder nagar (near Arya Chowk), ☎ . Multi Speciality Hospital, Cashless Mediclaim Facility Available but most of the time they will not accept any policy and finally patient have to suffer