This is a calendar of events and festivals for the month of April.
Events in April
What is going on in:
- Festival de Cannes: 13-24 May 2015 Cannes. The most famous film festival in the world takes place in mid-May every year. The worlds biggest celebrities are on hand to walk the red carpet, and thousands of films are screened in the festival and the Marché du Film, the world's biggest film market.
- Kanamara Matsuri (金まら祭り): 5 April 2015 Kawasaki. also known as the Festival of the Steel Phallus
- Cherry Blossom Festival: April annually . held throughout Japan, with Kyoto and Yoshino being the best locations.
- Thingyan Water Festival: 13-17 April annually .
- National Science Festival: 18-24 March 2015 Grahamstown.
- Cheese Festival: 25-27 April 2015 . Normally held on one of the cheese/wine farms surrounding Paarl
- Pink Loerie Mardi Gras: 29 April - 3 May 2015 Knysna. gay festival
- Lusito Land Festival: 24 April - 3 May 2015 Johannesburg. annual fund raiser event for the Mentally and Physically Handicapped with a distinct Portuguese flavour, at Wemmer Pan in Johannesburg
- Grand National: 11 April 2015 Liverpool. at Aintree Racecourse
- London Marathon: 26 April 2015 London.
- Edinburgh Science Festival: 4-19 April 2015 Edinburgh.
- Merrie Monarch Festival: 5-10 April 2015 Hilo.
- Cherry Blossom Festival: 20 March - 12 April 2015 Washington, D.C..
- Boston Marathon: 20 April 2015 Boston. the world's oldest marathon held annually
- New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival: 24 April - 3 May 2015 New Orleans.
- Kentucky Derby Festival: 18 April - 1 May 2015 Louisville.
- Carnival: 1 May 2015 U.S. Virgin Islands.
National public holidays and religious dates in April
Date to be aware of when travelling.
- ANZAC Day: 25 April annually Australia. a public holiday in Australia and New Zealand. Dawn and morning commemorative services at war memorials and other places in both countries as well as in Gallipoli in Turkey.
- Buddha's birthday: 4 May 2015 Cambodia. The Buddha's birth, enlightenment and passing beyond life and death are all celebrated in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand, on the 15th day of the 6th month of the lunar calendar - which is usually in April according to the Gregorian calendar.
- Vappu (Walpurgis day): 30 April annually Finland.
- Walpurgis Night: 30 April annually Sweden.
- Golden Week: 29 April - 5 May 2015 Japan. an extremely popular time to travel — best avoided as transport and accommodations are often booked solid.
- King's Day: 27 April annually Netherlands. Formerly Queen's Day, now King's Day, the birthday of King Willem-Alexander of Orange-Nassau is the reason for the Dutch people to celebrate. If 27 April is a Sunday, King's Day will be celebrated the Saturday before because many Christians still consider Sunday a resting day. Wear orange clothing, go to Amsterdam (or elsewhere if you're afraid of crowds) and stroll through the city centre for bargains. Expect the Dutch to be funny and weird on this day, some will try to sell you trash they found in their attic.
- Freedom Day: 27 April annually South Africa. Public holiday in South Africa. In celebration of South Africa's first non-racial democratic elections in 1994.
- Chakri Memorial Day: 6 April annually Thailand. is a public holiday
- Songkran (สงกรานต์): 13-15 April 2015 Thailand. is the Thai New Year (celebration dates are fixed, but vary slightly regionally)
|Calendar of events and festivals|
|January | February | March | April | May | June|
|July | August | September | October | November | December|