This is a calendar of events and festivals for the month of April.
- ANZAC Day: 25 April annually Australia. a public holiday in Australia and New Zealand. Dawn and morning commemorative services at war memorials and other places in both countries as well as in Gallipoli in Turkey.
- Buddha's birthday: 4 May 2015 . The Buddha's birth, enlightenment and passing beyond life and death are all celebrated in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand, on the 15th day of the 6th month of the lunar calendar - which is usually in April according to the Gregorian calendar.
- Vappu (Walpurgis day): 30 April annually .
- Festival de Cannes: 13-24 May 2015 Cannes. The most famous film festival in the world takes place in mid-May every year. The worlds biggest celebrities are on hand to walk the red carpet, and thousands of films are screened in the festival and the Marché du Film, the world's biggest film market.
- Golden Week: 29 April - 5 May 2015 Japan. an extremely popular time to travel — best avoided as transport and accommodations are often booked solid.
- Kanamara Matsuri (金まら祭り): 5 April 2015 Kawasaki. also known as the Festival of the Steel Phallus
- Cherry Blossom Festival: April annually . held throughout Japan, with Kyoto and Yoshino being the best locations.
- Thingyan Water Festival: 13-17 April annually .
- King's Day: 30 April annually Netherlands. Queens Day used to be on the 30th of April (or Saturday 29th if 30th fell on a Sunday): Queens Day, but Queen Beatrix resigned from office on the 30th of April 2013. Starting from 2014, the 27th of April should become 'Kings day', as it is the birthday of King Willem Alexander van Oranje-Nassau. This is however celebrated on Saturday the 26th of April 2014, to avoid disturbing the Sunday rest that many Christian people still observe. Wear orange clothing, skip Amsterdam if you're afraid of crowds, stroll through any city centre for a bargain and expect the Dutch to be funny and weird on this day, while others attempt selling you all the trash they found in their attic. The royal family will usually visit a village, but rumour has it that this tradition might be changed by the new king.
- ANZAC Day: 25 April annually New Zealand. a public holiday in Australia and New Zealand. Dawn and morning commemorative services at war memorials and other places in both countries as well as in Gallipoli in Turkey.
- National Science Festival: 18-24 March 2015 Grahamstown.
- Freedom Day: 27 April annually . Public holiday in South Africa. In celebration of South Africa's first non-racial democratic elections in 1994.
- Cheese Festival: 25-27 April 2015 . Normally held on one of the cheese/wine farms surrounding Paarl
- Olive Festival: 24-26 April 2014 Prince Albert (South Africa). (date needs updating)
- Pink Loerie Mardi Gras: 29 April - 3 May 2015 Knysna. gay festival
- Lusito Land Festival: 24 April - 4 May 2014 Johannesburg. annual fund raiser event for the Mentally and Physically Handicapped with a distinct Portuguese flavour, at Wemmer Pan in Johannesburg (date needs updating)
- Walpurgis Night: 30 April annually .
- Chakri Memorial Day: 6 April annually . is a public holiday
- Songkran (สงกรานต์): 13-15 April 2015 . is the Thai New Year (celebration dates are fixed, but vary slightly regionally)
- Grand National: 11 April 2015 Liverpool. at Aintree Racecourse
- London Marathon: 26 April 2015 London.
- Edinburgh Science Festival: 4-19 April 2015 Edinburgh.
- Merrie Monarch Festival: 5-10 April 2015 Hilo.
- Cherry Blossom Festival: 20 March - 12 April 2015 Washington, D.C..
- Boston Marathon: 20 April 2015 Boston. the world's oldest marathon held annually
- New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival: 24 April - 3 May 2015 New Orleans.
- Kentucky Derby Festival: 18 April - 1 May 2015 Louisville.
- Carnival: 1 May 2015 U.S. Virgin Islands.
|Calendar of events and festivals|
|January | February | March | April | May | June|
|July | August | September | October | November | December|