Baler is a small town in Aurora Province on the East coast of Luzon in the Philippines. It is situated between the Sierra Madre mountain range and the Pacific Ocean, in the vast plain at the mouth of Baler's Bay.
Founded in 1609 by Franciscan missionaries, Baler is also the last place hold by the Spaniard until they got kicked off in 1899. In 1951, Baler became the capital town of the new province of Aurora. It has around 30,000 inhabitants.
Get in and around
Genesis Transportation provides the only direct bus from Manila (along EDSA in Pasay city) to Baler and one way cost P394. Alternately, you can catch a bus from Manila to Cabanatuan and jump on a van to Baler at the Central Bus Station there (leave when it's full). Slower than the Genesis bus as it goes through the sinuous dust road and not the new sealed one, but better if you're sick on air con buses in the mountains. There is one 7AM bus everyday that goes along the Aurora coast from Baler through Dipaculao, Casiguran until Dilasag.
- Baler's Museum
- Bahia de Baler/Sabang Beach on Baler's bay
- Ermita Hill - where locals took refuge from a tsunami. Now a pleasant small park with a view of the bay and a large cross at the top.
- Waterfalls - Ditumabo Falls and the smaller Culayan Falls. The latter is a nice and clean, good for a picnic and a dip. Both are technically in San Luis, slightly inland from Baler.
- Surfing - : there is many surfboard rental around the beach access.
- Gerry's Chinese and seafood restaurant : a good value popular among locals in the center of the city.
- Bay's Inn : has a restaurant by the beach, good value Filipino-western style meals.
- Bahia de Baler : more expensive than it neighbor Day's Inn but a bit more classy too.
- Kahea's Lodge : at Sabang beach, offers P350 rooms.
- Little Girl's Surfer Lodge : next to Kahea's, offers P400 rooms and surfboard rental.
- MM Lodge : after the two first ones at Sabang Beach, P400 rooms.
- Carlito's Inn : though it is far from the coast at the eastern tip of the city, Carlito's offers nice air-con/fan rooms with bathtoom, cable TV for P500 to P900.
- Amihan Lodge : in the center, this old hotel offers the best value rooms (P150) but also the less comfortable : sometimes no mattress, and basic "bus stop" like bathroom.
- Post office : is in the Bus Station area.
- Hospital : there is a reliable hospital facility at the east of town (on the way in/out).