- Bellinzona’s castles. In 2000, the Castles of Bellinzona were included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Take the postal bus from the FFS train station up to Artore where the Sasso Corbaro Castle dominates the city from 462 meters. It was built in only six months in 1479 as the highest fortification in Bellinzona. Descend to the Montebello Castle, the most picturesque of the three. Probably built in the 13th century and restored in the 1970s, the Montebello Castle is a spectacular example of a medieval castle and houses a very interesting civic and archeological Museum. Steps along the old city walls lead the visitor to the Piazza della Collegiata; from here follow the San Michele path up to Castelgrande, remodeled in the last years by Aurelio Galfetti with bold architectural solutions, among which the elevator in the rock and the helicoidal ramp to reach the summit directly from the Piazza Mario della Valle.
There is a historical Museum in one wing of the castle with an architectural section as well as an artistic-historical one. In the south building there is an elegant restaurant with its annexed wine cellar where almost all of Ticino's wine production can be tasted. From Castelgrande follow the wall, also restored, which once went all the way to the Ticino River. A footbridge crosses the part, which was knocked down to allow transit on the Viale Portone. The view from the wall sweeps over the very modern buildings, the pride of Ticino's architects (Casa del Portone, Casa Bianca, Casa Nera, Casa Fabrizia) with the green background of the Sports Center with its public pool and tennis courts on the river's edge. From the walkway return to the station either through Città Vecchia from via Orico, or following the Viale Portone or via Mirasole.
- Lido di Arbedo (beach bar on the Ticino River), Castione-Arbedo (go north along the Via San Gottardo. Just before you get to the Highway exit Bellinzona Nord, on your left hand side, there is a stair leading down to a parking with signs to the beach and it's bar.). estimated: Mon - Wed:12:00 - 18:00; Thu:10:00 - 22:00; Fri - Sat: 12:00 - 03:00; Sun:10:00 - 01:00. Beach bar, where the Moesa river from Graubünden joins the Ticino River, which gave the canton it's name. Only open in Summer. Drinks, music, possibility to barbecue and swim. Beware of the strong current and the cold water. free.
- Giardino, Via Orico (On the corner of Piazza Governo, South West (or left turn) down Viale Stazione from the main train station.). Hidden ristorante/pizzeria frequented by locals offering good quality medium-priced Italian cooking only 7 minutes walk from the main train station.
- Hotel Internazionale, Piazza Stazione 35 (Directly opposite the train station), ☎ , fax: +41 91 826 13 59.
- Hotel Gamper, viale Stazione 29, ☎ .
- There is a possibility to stay in old historical houses at the Humanità Hostel in Cabbiolo, about 25 km from Bellinzona. +41 91 830 14 81, firstname.lastname@example.org