Access is primarily by private vehicle. Fly to Charlotte (CLT), Raleigh (RDU), Asheville (AVL), or Greensboro (GSO). From Charlotte, take I-77 north to US-421 and go west or I-85 South to US 321 North at Gastonia. From Raleigh or Greensboro, take I-40 west to US 421 west at Winston-Salem. From Asheville, take I-40 east to US 321 at Hickory and head north to Blowing Rock.
See also Craigslist Ridesharing Board 
AppalCART currently has eight bus routes running in Boone. The buses are free to use within city limits.
The downtown area is very compact and easily walkable. The remainder of town is well provided with sidewalks and some bike lanes, making non-automotive transportation a reasonable idea.
- Boone Taxi 828-266-3860
Boone Taxi provides all daytime transportation guided by the client. Rides anywhere in town average about five dollars per person. Boone Taxi also provides nightlife guidance and nighttime transport as well. Airport transport also available anytime. All information pertaining to Boone Taxi provided by the owner.
- Blue Ridge Parkway. The parkway crosses hwy 421 east of Boone and hwy 321 to the south of Boone. If you head south on 321toward Blowing Rock you'll soon come upon it.
- Howard's Knob. This is a short drive up the mountain and a great experience as it affords the most commanding view of all of downtown Boone. As you are riding in on either hwy 421 or hwy 321 you will not be able to miss the huge mountain sticking up out of the surrounding landscape. Howard's Knob park is up at the very top and it's easy to get to, you just have to know which road to turn onto off of King St. Heading west on 421, you will turn right onto Cherry St. Keep heading uphill and when you come to an intersection go in the direction that looks like it's leading uphill and before you know it you will come upon the park.
- Appalachian State Football, Kidd Brewer Stadium. One of the winningest programs in college football. 2005, 2006, 2007 NCAA Division I (FCS) National Champions
- Moses Cone Memorial Park and Flat Top Manor. Located off the Blue Ridge Parkway between mile posts 292 and 295 the park offers 25 miles of hiking and horse trails. The grounds preserve the country estate of Moses Cone, a prosperous textile entrepreneur, conservationist, and philanthropist of the Gilded Age. Its centerpiece is Flat Top Manor, a 20-room, 13,000 square foot mansion built in 1901 which is now home to the Parkway Craft Center
In skiing season, there are several nearby mountains that offer skiing.
- Ski Beech, 3363 Beech Mtn Pkwy, Beech Mountain, NC, ☎ . 10AM-10PM, seasonal. $50-$150.
- Appalachian Ski Mountain (Between Boone and Blowing Rock), ☎ .
- Ski Sugar (Sugar Mountain, near Banner Elk), ☎ . 8:00AM - 5:00PM, seasonal. $50-$150 per day.
- Hawksnest, 1778 Skyland Dr, Seven Devils, NC, ☎ , fax: +1 828-963-6564. There hasn't been skiing there for the past couple of seasons, but they have upgraded their lodge and now exclusively offer tubing.
- Footsloggers, 139 South Depot Street (At the corner of Depot Street and Howard Street), ☎ . For all kinds of weather and through every season, Footsloggers offers the finest in apparel, equipment and footwear for every outdoor setting; be it backpacking, camping, climbing, water sports or winter activities. From natural fiber and organic cotton to the latest in technical fabrics, Footsloggers can help you travel and arrive in comfort and style….whatever or wherever your destination.
- Mast General Store, 630 W King St., ☎ . M-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su 1PM-5PM. Mercantile goods, groceries, candy, and outfitters with atmosphere.
- Los Arcoiris, 168 Boone Heights Drive, ☎ . Collectively owned mostly authentic Mexican food in the mountains of NC - you've got to love this place, and you've got to try the Chile Verde! $.
- Black Cat Burrito, 127 S Depot St (Downtown). Since the year 2000, Black Cat has been serving some of North Carolina's finest food: Legendary burritos the size of a football, or an abnormally small child. For the majority of those eight years, Black Cat has also been home to some of Boone, North Carolina's finest live music, drawing both from the fantastic local music scene as well as artists from around the country and around the world. $.
- Boone Bagelry, 516 W. King St, ☎ . Up early and need a tasty and bagel-filled breakfast? On King Street and need a quick lunch? Boone Bagelry serves the best of both! $.
- Macado's, 539 W King St, ☎ . Known for sandwiches. $$.
- Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, 2124 Blowing Rock Road (On the right as you head toward Blowing Rock, just after the entrance to the Fairfield), ☎ . Communal dining with up to eight people per table seated around a hibachi grill. A separate sushi bar may provide quicker seating when there's a line waiting to get in the steakhouse section. $$.
- Mellow Mushroom, 957 Rivers St, ☎ . College town pizza restaurant $$.
- Mountain Bagels, 211 Boone Heights Dr., ☎ .
- Game Keeper in Foscoe has excellent wild game.
- Daniel Boone Inn, 130 Hardin Street (at intersection of King Street), ☎ . for good southern food served family style (i.e., they bring a bowl of everything and you eat as much or as little as you want). The trick is to call and order takeout for much cheaper. Note that the Daniel Boone Inn does not accept credit or debit cards. $$.
- Stick Boy Bread Company, 345 Hardin St., ☎ . m-fri 7AM-6.30PM, sat. 7AM-5.30PM, closed Sunday. Great bread, pastries, coffee, etc. $.
- Pepper's Restaurant and Bar, 240 Shadowline Dr., ☎ . m-fri 11AM-9PM, Sat&Su 11AM-10PM. $$.
- Cafe Portofino, 970 Rivers Street, ☎ . $$.
- Casa Rustica, 1348 Hwy 105, ☎ . Homeade Italian and American $$$.
- Crave, 203 Boone Heights Dr., ☎ . Tapas and martini bar $$.
- Red Onion Cafe, 227 Hardin Street, ☎ . 11AM-??. Great variety of amazing food. The quesadillas are awesome! $$.
- Bare Essentials Natural Market, 273 Boone Heights Dr, ☎ . M-Sa 9AM-7PM, Su 12PM-6PM.
- Murphy's Restaurant & Pub, 747 W King St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Lunch and Dinner, 7 days a week. $10-$15.
- Espresso News, Howard St.. Great coffee shop with a large variety of books upstairs.
- Bald Guy Brew, 368-4 Hwy 105 By-Pass, Boone NC 28607, ☎ . A socially responsible micro-roaster of single origin, eco-friendly coffees, dedicated to making a difference in the world one pound at a time!
- Peabody's Wine and Beer, 1104 Highway 105, ☎ . 10AM-12AM m-th, 10AM-1AM fri&sa, 10AM-10PM sun. Large selection of imported and domestic beer and wine.
- Boone Saloon, 489 West King St, ☎ . Where the App State upperclassmen and professors tend to drink.
- Country Inn and Suites, 818 E King St., ☎ , fax: +1 828-264-4104, e-mail: email@example.com. High speed internet access, fitness center.
- Fairfield Inn and Suites, 2060 Blowing Rock Road, ☎ , fax: 1-828-268-0723. Check-in: 3:00 PM, check-out: Noon. Three-story building with interior corridors, elevator and easily accessible stairwells, small lobby. Wifi. Complimentary continental breakfast with heatable breakfast sandwiches available. Adjacent to Chick-fil-A, Applebee's, and a gas station/convenience store that sells snacks, sodas, ice cream, and the Winston-Salem and Charlotte newspapers. Ruby Tuesday walkable. Convenient to Watauga Medical Center. $70≤≥$170.
- Holiday Inn Express, 1943 Blowing Rock Road, ☎ . Check-in: 3:00 PM, check-out: 11:00 AM. Five-story property with interior corridors, elevators, large lobby with fireplace. Suites available with gas fireplace, wet bar, microwave and separate bedroom. Wifi in all rooms. Convenient to Watauga Medical Center. Complimentary breakfast with hot and cold items served in lobby each morning. Burger King, Los Arcoiris, Long John Silver's walkable; one block from Greenway Trail. $80≤≥$250.
- Lovill House Inn, 404 Old Bristol Rd., ☎ . Built in 1875 by Captain E.F. Lovill, a Civil War hero and State senator, offers private baths, TV and VCR, and wireless internet access. $130-$210.
- Stone Pillar Bed and Breakfast, 144 Pine St., ☎ .
Watauga Lake Cabins, 803-524-5185, .offers a range of cabins from simplistic to high-end, this cabin rental company has been offering vacation homes to visitors of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Appalachia for nearly ten years. Cabins that are perfectly centric to the great Watauga Lake, Cherokee National Forest and the town destinations of Boone and Blowing Rock. Call (803) 524-5185 for details.
Most locations that offer skiing also have resorts. They tend to be more expensive than lodging in town, but will keep you closer to the activity.
- Sugar Ski and Country Club, 100 Sugar Ski Dr., Banner Elk, NC (Near Banner Elk), ☎ . $100-$250 per night.
Mill Ridge Resort in Banner Elk on NC 105. offers 1-5 bedroom homes available for rent which include tennis, Swimming Pool, Hiking and much more. They have very reasonable year around rates. millridgeresort.com
|Routes through Boone|
|Lexington ← Bristol ←||W E||→ Wilkesboro → Winston-Salem|