Chełmno is a town in northern Poland with 22,000 inhabitants (1995) and the historical capital of Chełmno Land. Situated in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999, Chełmno was previously in Toruń Voivodeship (1975–1998), near the Vistula River.
The first written mention of Chełmno is known from a document allegedly issued in 1065 by Duke Boleslaus II of Poland for the Benedictine monastery in Mogilno. In 1233 Chełmno was granted city rights known as "Chełmno rights" (renewed in 1251), the model system for over 200 Polish towns.
The town is an interesting tourist attraction but not yet popular.
Do not confuse this town with the village of Chełmno nad Nerem in Koło County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, where the Nazis built (and eventually destroyed) the Chełmno extermination camp, nor with the village of Chełmno in Szamotuły County, Greater Poland Voivodeship.
- Old Town full of monuments:
- Museum of the Chełmno Land, Ratusz - Rynek 28 (Gothic-Renaissance City Hall). Tue - Fri: 10am - 4pm, Sat: 10am - 3pm, Sun (from 1st March till 30th Nov): 11am - 3 pm, Mon: closed. 3 zł.
- Seven Gothic churches
- City walls with watch towers and Grudziądzka Gate
- Karczma Chełmińska, ul. 22 Stycznia 1B, ☎ . 240zl for a midweek double, cheaper at weekends.
- Pensjonat Stary Spichrz, ul. Podmurna 7, ☎ . 179zl for a double.