Coimbatore is a major industrial city in Tamil Nadu, often likened to being the Manchester or Detroit of Southern India. It's famous for the manufacture of motor pump sets and varied engineering goods.
Coimbatore is known for its various industries, engineering goods, textile mills, educational institutions, health care facilities, pleasant weather, friendly culture and hospitality. There is a significant minority of people of North and West Indian origin in Coimbatore which gives it a cosmopolitan outlook. The Tamil spoken here is called Kongu Tamil. Other languages spoken include English, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada. Very friendly & courteous people in South India. Except for early summer it otherwise has a very pleasant climate throughout the year, similar to a resort town. It's one of the upcoming Information Technology Hub with new initiatives from the State Govt. Has the pride of having the world's second tastiest water "Siruvani Water" after Nile. Coimbatore is an orthodox city. It has developed in terms of wealth, however the general populace is still down to earth. People here don't have a flashy lifestyle, they are generally very content. Most of all the Coimbatoreans are known for the respect displayed in language towards everyone.
Tamil is the mother tongue of majority of the people in Coimbatore though there are people who speak Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and Hindi. Unlike other cities in India, very few people in Coimbatore can speak Hindi. English is understood and spoken by most of the people in the City.
The city has six major arterial roads and three National Highways, NH-47 (Kanyakumari-Salem), NH-67 (Nagapattinam-Ooty) and NH-209 (Bangalore-Dindigul) passing through the city. The city has a civil airport at Peelamedu and an Airforce base at Sulur. Broad Gauge trains connect to all parts of India. A by-pass tollway was built recently to avoid unnecessary traffic into the city.
Coimbatore Airport is approximately 7 kilometers from the center of the city, connections are mainly done with airport's own prepaid cabs. The airport currently has two operational terminals one for departure and one for arrival. Coimbatore airport has regular flights from many Indian cities and some international destinations like Singapore and Sharjah.
Coimbatore Junction, the major station in the city is well connected by trains from all major cities including Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, New Delhi and Thiruvananthapuram. Other train stations in the city include Podanur Junction and Coimbatore North Junction.
There are five major bus stations in Coimbatore from where bus services are available to all major places in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Pondicherry and Andhra Pradesh. All the bus stations are inter connected with local bus services all through the day.
- Central Bus station at Gandhipuram (for buses going to East and North East to Erode, Gobichettipalayam, Tirupur, Salem, Sathyamangalam and surrounding areas)
- Singanallur Bus station (for buses to Madurai, Trichy, Karur, Tanjavur and the towns around them)
- Moffusil Bus Station at Gandhipuram (for Express buses to Other states and also to far places like Chennai, Bangalore, Hydrabad, Pondicherry, Tirupati
- Ukkadam Bus station (for buses to Palakkad, Trichur, Cochin, Trivandrum, Palani, Pollachi, Udumalpet and other nearby places)
- MTP Road Bus station for buses going toward Mettupalayam, Ooty, Gudalur
Getting around Coimbatore is easy. There are public transport buses, auto rickshaws and plenty of taxis available. Minimum charge for Cabs is 40 INR and 16/12 per KM for different operators. The Public transport is available through Buses operated by State Owned TNSTC and other private operators.
Temples in and around Coimbatore are:
- Anjeneyar Kovil, Esso Bunk, Peelamedu. This Temple was recently constructed in one of the calmest localities.Offers great peace of mind and is open in the morning till 12.00PM and opens again from 5.00PM for public. Don't miss various alangaarams done for the God.
- Anubhavi Subramaniar Temple, Chinna Thadagam. This temple has a natural outflow, which spouts water all through the year. For this reason, the temple is quite popularly known and people never fail to make their visit. There must be 100s of steps to get to the temple, and no mechanical help available. This place is frequented by elephants and hence do not plan to visit the temple during evening hours. Don't forget to visit the Lalithambikai temple situated at its foothills.
- Asia's biggest statue of Lord Ganesha temple in Puliakulam.
- Eachanaari Vinayaga Temple in Pollachi road
- Marudhamalai Murugan Temple, Arulmigu Subramaniyaswamy Thirukoil (15 km north west of Coimbatore), ☎ . A huge temple complex, at least 1200 years old, located on a picturesque hill, you should not miss it.
- Perur Pateeswarar Temple (Tamil: அருள்மிகு பட்டீஸ்வரர் திருக்கோயில்) is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva located at Perur.
- Sri Naga Sai Temple in sai baba colony matupaliyam road,( oldest Sai Baba temple in south India)
- Sri Ranganathar temple in Karamadai,
- Then Thiruppathi a nice place to visit with family which is located near Mettupalayam.
- Velliengiri hills and temple is a famous temple with a long lasting history, which is also known south Kailash. Other temples are Ayappan Pooja Sangam in Ramnagar and Ayyappan temple in New Siddhapudur, Sringeri Saradha Koil, Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Saibaba colony, Koniamman temple and Ramar temple in Ramnagar near Gandhipuram bus stand. Isha Yoga Center's SHIVA TEMPLE - Worth visiting -20 km from city.
- Athar Jamad Masjid (Located in Big bazaar street). A famous 100 years old Masjid
- G.D.Naidu Museum (Located in Avinashi Road). 8AM to 4:30PM except on sundays. A must visit for all science history enthusiasts. Interesting collection of inventions by G.D.Naidu who is also referred as Edison of India. Interesting science experiments. One can also see the history of Industrialisation in Coimbatore. Also on display an old motor bike which G.D.Naidu learned to assemble from a British officer after which he interested in engineering. A Germany Gift shop is attached with the museum where one can buy interesting Toys from Germany. Children will enjoy a lot. Entrance free.
- VOC park (Located near Gandhipuram). The popular park includes zoo and children's park. Evening is the best time to visit the park. Fee: Adult - Rs 3, Child - Rs 2. Nehru Stadium is situated nearby and also there are few small playgrounds for Basketball, Tennis, Badminton, etc.
- There are three good water theme parks Black Thunder Near Ooty foot hills Kovai Kondattam en route to Siruvani Dam and Maharaja Water Theme Park near Neelambur, Avinashi Road. The entry fees are 300 to 350 for adults, while children get a discount of Rs 50-100 per head.
ATMs are available in most parts of the city with most concentrated in the commercial areas like R.S.Puram, Trichy Road and Avanashi Road.
Shopping in Coimbatore is concentrated in the areas of RS Puram, Cross-Cut Road and the Town Hall Area (Oppanakara St, Big Bazaar St, Raja St). Coimbatore, known as the Manchester of South India, is famous for textiles. Visitors to Coimbatore must not miss the dazzling array of shops selling Kanchivaram, Benares and designer sarees at Cross-Cut Road. Coimbatore is also known for its numerous jewelry stores situated along Cross-Cut Road and Town Hall Area. Leading global brands like Lee, Arrow, United Colors of Benetton, Levi’s Reebok, Adidas, Puma, Crocodile etc., have retail outlets in D.B.Road. There are several huge textile showrooms in the city (RmKV, Pothys, The Chennai Silks, Shree Devi Textiles, Sri Ganapathy silks, Kalyan Sarees) that sell ethnic wear, catering to the needs of the entire family.
Brookefields Mall in Brooke Bond Road is the biggest shopping mall in Coimbatore consists varieties of branded shops for cloths, apparels, foot wears, eateries (including KFC), cloth showrooms (RmKV), etc. It has six screen multiplex cinema.
Nilgiris is South India’s leading chain of retail stores. They have an outlet in R.S. Puram and another at Trichy Road. They stock most of the up-market food items like frozen and tinned foods, offering a wide range of grocery, general merchandise and personal care products. They also stock gourmet cheeses like Gouda, Colby, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Havarti, Feta, Haloumi and Camembert made by Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farm which is located in Coonoor.
Sri Krishna Sweets, that specializes in Indian sweets, is famous for its Mysurpa (a sweet made from lentil flour and ghee).
When you visit Coimbatore don't forget to taste the Food & Siruvani Water. Coimbatore is an ideal stop if you want to take some rest while on the way to Ooty, Bangalore or Kerala. Don't forget to taste the best of South Indian Idlis, Dosas, Vada, Chutney and Vegetarian rice meal from the Annapoorna Chain of Veg Restaurants, Aaryaas Veg Restaurant and Non-vegetarian food from Kovai Biriyani Hotel, Angannan's, Anjappar, Sampoorna, Rayappas and Thalappas restaurants. Try Krishna Sweets too, the sweets chain had their origins in this town. The strong influence of the west has prevailed and resulted in numerous coffee pubs and fast food outlets.Chains like Subway,Domino's pizza,Pizza Hut,Baskin Robbins Ice cream,Marry Brown,Barista,Cafe Coffee Day,Boomerang etc., have made their presence felt among the city's elite and emerging middle class.
- Ajmir, Near TownHall ManiKundu. Serves excellent mutton(Beaf) and chicken. Don't forget to taste their mutta poriyal and chicken fry that is great. Not only for beef lovers for chicken lovers also this is a place to be. 250.
- Brookfields Plaza, Brookbond road, R.S,Puram. Has everything from dresses to food like KFC, Rmkv, lifestyle, relaince Trends.
- Burma Bai Barotta Kadai, Nehru staduim (Near Boomerang Ice cream). Only in the evening. Serves excellent non-veg varieties. their speciality is barotta that can be made crispy or softy depending upon the user wish. Don't forget to order their pepper chicken and tomato chicken - This restaurant is closed now and a new restaurant named Madurai Amma Mess is functioning at this place. Not sure if this is the same famous Madurai Amma Mess or a local restaurant using the same name. By the way, never felt Burma Bai Restaurant deserved to be given a thumbs-up though. The rates were too high and food quality very poor. No surprise that they have closed down 350 for two.
- China town, Nehru staduim in the road between the park gate (ParkGate Ground it will be on a thalluvandi). Only in the evening. Serves excellent Chinese items like chilly pork, dragon chicken, and their lumpfu soup price 400 for two.
- Dhabas. Dhabas are very famous in coimbatore. You can have a good variety of foods with the facility of attached bars. There are many dhabas in coimbatore. There was a dhaba near maharaja world and one near ramani's mayuri, chinnavedampatti. These places were so peaceful and a good place for boys to have treats. Most of the bars have individual huts where it accommodates around 10 members. Its a best hangout place at nights.
- Four season, Non sakthi highway at karattumedu. Only in the evening till 12 in night. Serves excellent veg and non veg items even u can geta beer there nice place for party guys. Don't forget to eat their kerala chicken,kudal. price 300 for two.
- FUN Republic, peelamedu, near krishnamal college. Has the coimbatore's first McDonald's restaurant.
- Hari Bavan, RTO Road & Gandhipuram 4th Street & SO Bunk, Peelamedu. Serves excellent non-veg varieties. the lunch with 4 types of gravy (fish, mutton,chicken and Nattu Kolli gravy) is famous. Don't forget to taste their karandi (omlet) and their side dish. Available only for lunch.
- Hotel Blue Berry (I), Opposite VLB Arts College, Kovaipudur., ☎ . 8AM to 10PM. Specialist in Biriyani (Mutton, Chicken and Fish). Serves excellent varieties of Non Veg curries. Takes function orders and entertains home deliveries. You will be addicted to their Chettinad and Chengudu Chicken. Price 200 for Two.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), R.S.Puram. Seems to be a big hit among the locals here. Always crowded. Difficult to get in on the weekends. It has opened its other branch in Brooke Fields Mall also.
- Paati Amma Dosai Kadai, Near Gem Hospital or archana darchana theater GandhiPark (go via senthil hospital in gandhi park). only in evening and night. Serves a wide variety of dosas and sevai like chola,kambu,tomato,ragi,cauliflower, mushroom,babycorn, panner dosai and seva. Don't forget to order butter appam yummy .The place was so small but the taste was the best. 250 for 2.
- Seasons, under SKC, R S Puram. It is a place where you get good, healthy vegetarian stuff very cheaply. The good items here are corn and spinach sandwich and all fruit juices. It's usually crowded. The ice creams are so nice.
- The Village, Near Gem Hospital or archana darchana theater GandhiPark (go via senthil hospital in gandhi park). only in evening and night. Serves a wide variety of dosas and sevai like chola, kambu, tomato, ragi, cauliflower, mushroom, babycorn, paneer dosai and seva. Don't forget to order their muttai chappathi. It's delicious. 250 for 2.
Liquors cannot be found in the Departmental Stores or Shopping malls. It is reguralised by the state government of Tamil Nadu and it is available through retail outlets controlled by state owned body TASMAC and in some star hotels and Bars. These shops will be usually closed around 23:00 hrs and it is hard to find some overnight party house in the city. Speaking of liquors and drinks, we have to mention the Siruvani water in Coimbatore which is considered as one of the tastiest natural unprocessed waters in the planet.
There are a lot of budget hotels near the railway station and bus stand with single room between 150-350/day.
- Dunag Springs Service Apartments (Dunag Springs), 12/24 Dunag Springs, Padmanabha Nagar, Civil Aerodrome, SITRA, Coimbatore (200 Mtrs from Coimbatore Airport), ☎ . Check-in: -, check-out: -. Dunag Springs Service Apartment , Coimbatore's Largest & Luxurious Hotel Apartment having 29 furnished apartments spread over 3 Locations (Airport, Nehru Nagar, Ramanathapuram) in town on daily rental. Wifi enabled 25 Seater A/C Conference Hall & Gym Facility Available with In House Pantry Services. 1250 onwards.
- Guestlines Service Apartments, Sivaram Nagar, Sungam bye pass road,Coimbatore, ☎ . Guestlines Service Apartments has 15 fully furnished rooms with free wifi & gym. Guestlines is just about 1.5 km from the coimbatore railway station. 2000.
- Hotel City Tower, 56 Sivasamy Road, ☎ . standard A/C double room Rs.1250/- deluxe A/C double Rs.1500/.
- Kanimani lodge, 427, 100 Feet Road Gandhipuram Coimbatore (opposite to karpagam complex), ☎ . , one of the best and cheapest lodge located near bus stand. well maintained and good service. located opposite to karpagam complex.just five minutes walk to cross cut road.
There any many 4 and 5 star hotels in Coimbatore, below are a few:
- Aloft Coimbatore, Singanallur 483, Kamarajar Road,Upplipalayam (Post),, ☎ .
- Le Méridien Coimbatore, 762 Avinashi Road, Neelambur Village, ☎ .
- The Residency, Coimbatore, 1076, Avinashi Road, ☎ .
- Vivanta by Taj - Surya, 105, Race Course Road, ☎ .
- Churches in Coimbatore include Infant Jesus Church in Kovaipudur, where devotees throng on Thursdays for attending the Noveena, St.Antony's Church in Puliakulam, where many devotees offered their prayers on every Tuesday, CSI Immanuel, and Intouch Fellowship at the YWCA Hall. Other places of worship include Kottai Hidayathul Islam Safia Jamath Mosque in Kottaimedu.
Coimbatore city is relatively safe compared to other cities in Tamil Nadu. Watch out for pickpockets at bus stands. While travelling by bus, keep your valuables safe.
- Coimbatore is surrounded by hill ranges and hence several picnic spots for one-day drive and back exist around Coimbatore. Some of them are: Kovai Kutrallam water falls(45 km), Monkey falls(75 km), Athikadavu stream(40 km), Kallar river banks(55 km), Topslip town(90 km), Malampuzha dam(60 km),Thirumurthy waterfalls(90 km), Dhyanalinga Yogic temple & Isha Yoga centre(35 km), Velliangiri hill temple(37 km), Marudhamalai Hill Temple(20 km), Vydehi Water falls(35 km), Bhavani Sagar(55 km), Kodiveri(75 km) etc. Most of them are not very well known to outsiders and if you go on a working day, the tranquility would be an added advantage. And most of these roads are good, compared to Indian standards.
- Botanical Garden which is situated opposite to Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, which is situated on the way to Marudhamalai temple.
- Crocodile Park in Amaravathi is near Udumalpet (65 km). This no longer exists. the park has been shutdown and now you can meet the crocks at the Chennai crocodile park
- Hill stations are Ooty (80 km), Valparai near Pollachi having no of sight seeing and picnic spots, Kodaikanal (180 km).
- Sanctuaries are Mudumalai Wild Life Sanctuary(150 km), Anamalai Wildlife Sanctuary(100 km), Top Slip.
- Silent Valley national park inside Kerala is just one hour's drive from Coimbatore.
- Waterfalls include Monkey falls on the way to Valparai hills, Kovai Kutralam near Siruvani. There are a few others on the way to Vaalpaarai and Ooty hills, and the Thirumoorthi falls near Udumalpet(65 km).