"Dumbarton is a brutal concrete sprawl, fulfilling every last hellish cliche about post-war planning and architecture" - so says the 1994 edition of The Rough Guide to Scotland. However the town does has some attractions, notably the castle, which is on a districtive hill like Edinburgh and Stirling castles. The Denny Tank Museum is also worth a visit, but there is not a great deal to be seen in the modern town centre. The town could be comfortably explored as a day trip from Glasgow.
The population is just over 20,000. You may have seen the town on BBC television in Scotland as the set for the Soap River City, a northern version of Eastenders. Whisky blending and bonded storage is a major industry in the town. The bonded warehouses can be seen as you enter the town from the East.
Electric Trains serve the three stations in Dumbarton, from Queen Street station (low level) in Glasgow, with about four trains per hour, going to Helensburgh or Balloch. Some trains also provide a direct service from Edinburgh. Dumbarton Central is the station nearest the town centre, and also has occasional West Highland Railway trains on the Glasgow - Oban / Fort William Route. Dumbarton East is the nearest station for the castle. Dalreoch is closest to the picturesque Levengrove Park.
- Dumbarton Castle, Dumbarton (take the A82 south), 01389 732167. It features a castle on top of a rock, overlooking the Firth of Clyde. It was an important royal refuge. Historic Scotland information
- Denny Ship Model Experiment Tank, Castle Street, G82 1QS, ☎ . Mon to Sat 10:00am - 4:00pm. A shipyard model test tank built in 1882. Now part of the scottish martime museum, but still used occasionally for real tests. Adults £2.00
- Levengrove Park, gifted to the towns people by the Denny shipbuilding family. Large mature parkland, dramatically positioned between the Rivers Leven and Clyde. Contains many play areas for children, mature trees and flower beds. Dramatic views of the Castle can be found at the bottom of the park. Remains of an old parish church can be found in the park.
- Geilston Gardens. A National Trust for Scotland Garden in Cardross.
- Overtoun House and Gardens
- Watch Dumbarton Football Club. At the Bet Butler Stadium next the Castle.
Bed And Breakfasts
- Dumbuck Hotel, Glasgow Road, Dumbarton.
- Travelodge Dumbarton, A82 Stirling Road Milton, Dumbarton