Fayetteville (North Carolina)
Fayetteville is a city in Cumberland County, in the western part of the North Carolina Coastal Plain region. It is the county seat of Cumberland County, and is best known as the home of Fort Bragg, a major U.S. Army installation northwest of the city. Fayetteville has received the prestigious All-America City Award from the National Civic League three times, more than any other city. According to the 2011 United States Census estimate, the city has a population of 205,678. It currently ranks as the sixth-largest municipality in North Carolina. With an estimated population of 374,157, the Fayetteville metropolitan area is the largest in southeastern North Carolina, and the fifth-largest in the state.
Fly in to the Fayetteville Regional Airport , located north near the Coliseum.
Or, fly in to the Raleigh-Durham airport. The drive south to Fayetteville is between one and one-and-a-half hours long.
There is an Amtrak station downtown, with routes leading to points along the East Coast.
Public Transportation The Fayetteville Area System of Transit (FAST) serves the Fayetteville and Spring Lake regions, with ten bus routes and two shuttle routes.
Airborne and Special Operations museum - located in downtown Fayetteville - It displayed several eras of this nation's primier warriors - Free (but a donation would not hurt)
Museum of the Cape Fear and Arsenal Park is full of exhibits and information abour local history. 801 Arsenal Avenue
The Downtown area of Fayetteville (Hay Street) has undergone a massive clean-up over the last few decades and now provides a few blocks of tourist-friendly shops and restaurants.
Festival Park, a few blocks away from downtown, is a natural community gathering place featuring weekly outdoor concerts with a Southern, hometown atmosphere.
Carver's Falls. Carver’s Falls is a virtually untouched 55 acre area of forest located in the Sandhills of North Carolina. The area is named after the waterfall that is over 150 feet wide and two stories tall nestled in the heart of the property. For centuries, Carver’s Falls has been closed to the public and few even knew of its existence. The falls are privately held, but can been seen as part of the ZipQuest Waterfall and Treetop Adventure
Go to Raleigh. Raleigh, located slightly more than an hour north of Fayetteville, has a lot to offer - good food, a flourishing nightlife, a strong university scene, and a large population of the young and wealthy.
Crosscreek Mall is the only mall in Fayetteville, and serves as a home for many major fashion retail chains.
Smaller shops and antique shops can be found near downtown on Hay Street.
Fayetteville also has several flea markets, located on Bragg Blvd, Raeford Rd and Macpherson Church Rd, all of which sell various eclectic goods on weekends.
Luigi's, 528 N. McPherson Church Road, has been named the best Italian restaurant 10 years running by the Fayetteville Observer.
Hamont Grill, 1304 Morganton Rd, is an historic restaurant located in the Haymount neighborhood. (The story goes that when the restaurant opened in the 1950's, the owner was trying to save money by leaving out some expensive neon letters. Now the sign is a historic landmark and cannot be fixed.) Hamont grill serves steak, Greek specialties, and southern diner food. Their cakes and pies are especially well regarded.
Mi Casita (several locations) is a popular local Mexican chain.
Beef O'Brady's - a small Irish-style bar and restaurant with a great reputation.
The Mash House Brewery on Sycamore Road offers a wide range of brews from Heifeweizen, IPA and Porter. Reasonable prices, a large restaurant area including an outside dining area, and an interesting mix of people in the bar.
- Congos. Latin Club. good on sat night
- Huske. Downtown Club great on Sat night. Usually filled with skanky married women looking to cheat on their deployed husbands
- Caddilac Ranch. Country club. Wed is $1 special night
- Lidos. Downtown Club - nice setup
- Big Apple. Urban Club. Wed is latin night
- Itz. Club/Bar/Restaurant
- Speak Easy. Urban Club. Fri is Latin night
- The Dog House. Bar/Club. Thur is $1 specials. Tons of ppl
- VIA 216. Urban Club. Fri is Latin night
- Paddy's. Irish Pub. Good on Thur and the weekends
- Marriott Courtyard Fayetteville, 4192 Sycamore Dairy Road, Fayetteville, North Carolina 28303, ☎ .
- Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, 3719 Bragg Blvd., ☎ . Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 12pm. Free wireless high-speed Internet access 126 rooms.
- The Wingate Inn on Sycamore Dairy Road is centrally situated (along with some other chains) and accessible to the Fort Bragg area as well as downtown. Large, clean rooms with excellent service at both the front desk and housekeeping. Complimentary breakfast from 6AM-9AM. Small fitness room and whirlpool.
|Routes through Fayetteville|
|Richmond ← Benson ←||N S||→ Lumberton → Savannah|