- For other places with the same name, see Franconia (disambiguation).
Franconia (Franken) is a region of northern Bavaria, a state of Germany, that was formerly a separate kingdom (a duchy) of the Holy Roman Empire. The history of the area stretches back over a thousand years. Franconia encompasses three administrative regions of Bavaria: Lower Franconia (Unterfranken), Middle Franconia (Mittelfranken), and Upper Franconia (Oberfranken). Culturally Franconians identify themselves as being different from Bavarians. Within Franconia are the historically important city of Nuremberg, the UNESCO World Heritage town of Bamberg, and a huge range of outdoor activities in the Franconian Switzerland and Franconian lake district.
- Upper Franconia - hilly region in north east, land of breweries
- Middle Franconia - round Nuremberg
- Lower Franconia - wineyards near river Main
- Bayreuth - is famous as the host of the Richard Wagner Festival, furthermore the Markgräfliches Opernhaus is listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List
- Bamberg - the whole old town of Bamberg is listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List
- Coburg - it has been the household name for some royal dynasties in Europe
- Erlangen — a university and medical centre city that has earned the nickname Franconian Berkeley
- Fürth – medium-sized town, next to Nuremberg in the north
- Nuremberg (Nürnberg) — a city of toys, famous for Christmas markets, the infamous Nazi Party rallies held there and the Nuremberg Trials against the main Nazi war criminals
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber — famous for its intact medieval city center (Altstadt) encircled by 13th century town walls
- Fichtelgebirge — is arranged like a horseshoe around an inner hill-landscape; the highest mountain is the "Schneeberg (Snow Mountain)" with 1053 m above sealevel
- Franconian Switzerland (Fränkische Schweiz) — castle ruins, hiking, canoeing
- Franconian Lake District (Fränkisches Seenland) — the Lake District comprises of 7 lakes; The total expanse of water is about 20 square km
- Franconian Wineland (Fränkisches Weinland) — wine tasting, hiking, biking, and more
Schäufele is a traditional dish in Franconia. It is made from the pork's shoulder meat. Normally it is then served with potato dumbling (Kartoffelklöße), sauerkraut (or red cabbage, or savoy cabbage) and gravy.