Franklin is a small community, having a population of only 3,171 according to a report by the U.S. Census Bureau conducted in July, 2011. It is known mostly for its quaint, estate-style neighborhoods as well as its old-fashioned downtown. Named after Benjamin Franklin by Elijah Bullock and other settlers in 1825, the town has many historic landmarks such as a fully-operational Cider Mill. The village’s collection of vintage architecture is uncommon in contemporary Metro Detroit.
Franklin is accessible from Detroit by the M-10 (John C. Lodge) Freeway and from other areas of the state by I-96. Downtown Franklin is located on Franklin Road between 13 Mile Road and 14 Mile Road.
Franklin is accessible from most areas in Southeast Michigan by the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation (SMART), the only regional busing service in the area. Although the bus doesn’t travel through Franklin, it travels to the edge of the town with stops on Maple Road and Northwestern Highway.
Even though there are no train stations in Franklin, there is an Amtrak station in the nearby city of Birmingham, roughly 5 mile miles away from Franklin.
Being located in Metro Detroit, Franklin is within proximity of the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, which is a major international airport in the United States. The airport is about 30 miles away.
Travel by car to any part of Franklin takes a very short amount of time. Traffic is extremely rare in the town. There are no parking meters due to the general lack of activity, there are usually available parking lots in town.
Franklin is pedestrian friendly, providing a sidewalk system through downtown as well as several surrounding areas. The only parts of the town without sidewalks are residential areas.
- Downtown Franklin. Being primarily a residential area, Franklin’s downtown area is the main attraction. Consisting primarily of original structure buildings, the downtown area is located on Franklin Road between 13 Mile Road and 14 Mile Road.
- Franklin Cider Mill. Definitely the most famous attraction in town, the Franklin Cider Mill was established in 1837, the same year that Michigan gained its statehood. It was originally built and opened as a gristmill by Peter VanEvery and it has changed ownership several times throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Known for its famous apple cider, the mill also sells a variety of other items such as baked goods, jams and butter, honey, pumpkins, and other apple products. The mill is open from the Saturday before labor day to the Sunday after Thanksgiving and it certainly draws a lot of visitors to town during this time period.
- Franklin Park. Built around the Franklin Community Church, Franklin Park is known as the community gathering place. Complete with a playground, tennis and basketball courts, baseball fields, nature trails, and a sledding hill, the park is a place residents and visitors come to relax.
- Glamour Puss Beauty Bar and Boutique. Housed in what was originally known as the Franklin Hotel. This building was built in 1830 by Dr. Raynale and served as the first store in the village. Glamour Puss offers unique clothing, accessories, jewelry, and gift items. The boutique also has a beauty bar, which provides natural ready to wear cosmetics and superior skin care products.
- The Franklin Village Boutique. Built in 1936, this building was originally an automobile repair shop and gas station. The Village Boutique carries one of a kind clothing and jewelry. This unique and stylish clothing store is known to be one of Franklin's best boutiques.
- La Spezia Flavor Market. This home was built in 1840 and for the past three generations has served as one of Franklin’s greatest markets. This market offers over 700 products to flavor; including spices, blends, infused extra virgin olive oils & 18 year old aged balsamic vinegars. They also offer gourmet soups, drink mixes, flavored sea salts, Hawaiian cane sugars, marinades, pure extracts and flavorings.
- Yanke Desings. Built in the 1930’s. Offers beautiful custom made fine jewelry. Yanke Designs provides great customer service and are determined to make each customer feel like family and friends. Other then great customer service, Yanke designs makes sure every piece of jewelry is treated with the best of care. If you love hand crafted jewelry then Yanke Designs is the place to visit when in Franklin.
- Franklin Grill and Tavern, 32760 Franklin Rd, ☎ . Originally built as a blacksmith shop in 1840, the Franklin Grill and Tavern was established in 2001. The family restaurant is best known for its seasonal dishes and lively atmosphere.
- Market Basket of Franklin, 32654 Franklin Rd, ☎ . A merged version of a grocery store, butchers shop, specialty food store, and pastry shop. Located downtown Franklin, next to Comerica Bank. Known for delicacy, to-go food, usually costing above what one may pay in other local grocers.
- Farmhouse Ice Cream and Coffee, 32644 Franklin Rd, ☎ . Taking the form of a renovated farmhouse, it is another destination in Franklin known for its atmosphere. The shop features original ice cream and coffee products as well as couches and picnic tables for people to relax on.
- Embassy Suite Hotel Detroit- Southfield, 28100 Franklin Rd, ☎ .
Approximately 2.7 miles away from Franklin, MI
- Holiday Inn Express Birmingham, 35270 Woodward Avenue, toll-free: .
Approximately 3.2 miles away from Franklin, MI
- Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Farmington Hills, 31525 West 12 Mile Rd, ☎ .
Approximately 3.0 miles from Franklin, MI
Franklin Public Library, 32455 Franklin Rd, (248) 851-5846 The Franklin Public Library is a great resource for information. It provides residents with public access computers, free Wi-Fi access, public telephones, and coping and fax machines. Aside from that, the library also has about 15,000 items available to rent, including books, audio books on CD, DVDs, and magazines.
Visit the largest city in the state of Michigan! Only a 30 minute drive from Franklin. Home to a metropolitan population of nearly 5.2 million people. Serving as a primary financial, cultural, and transportation center to the people of the Metro Detroit area, It is also home to world-famous museums, major sports teams, and an overall rich city life. Top places visited by tourists include Greek Town, Mexican Town, and one of the four large casinos, including one across the river in Windsor, Canada.
An affluent city and suburb of Detroit, Birmingham is located very closely to Franklin. Known as a great destination for shopping, it is also a great place to relax with several parks and many other attractions.
Another city located in Oakland county, it is home to a population of 57,236. With many restaurants and a vibrant downtown, it is a hotspot for tourists in Michigan. Known for several attractions, including the Detroit Zoo, the Woodward Dream Cruise and the Arts, Beats and Eats festival.