Frankston is a town 40km from Melbourne on the edge of Port Phillip Bay often referred to as the "Gateway to the Mornington Peninsula". Frankston is where the electric train line terminates. If you are a backpacker heading to the Mornington Peninsula, French Island or Phillip Island chances are you're going to go through Frankston. It has a beautiful beach, many restaurants, bars and shops.
Frankston is home to several festivals;
- Waterfront Festival in January.
- Ventana Fiesta, a Latin American, Portuguese and Spanish festival in March.
- Pets Day Out in October.
- Festival of Lights in late November.
A Sand Sculpting display runs from December to April.
- Frankston Visitor Information Centre, 7N Pier Promenade, Frankston Waterfront, ☎ , fax: +61 3 9768 1433, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 781 bus from Mt Martha via Mt Eliza, Mornington. 
- 782 bus from Flinders via Coolart Road, Hastings. 
- 783 bus from Hastings via Coolart Road. 
- 782/783 combined from Hastings/Flinders via Coolart Road. 
- 788 bus from Portsea via Dromana, Rosebud, Sorrento. 
- 901 bus from Melbourne airport. 
- Frankston and Peninsula Airport Shuttle - a much faster more expensive option than the 901 bus. 
- Frankston Taxis, ☎ .
- Frankston Arts Centre, Davey Street, Frankston, ☎ , fax: +61 3 9784 1766, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Frankston Library, 60 Playne St, Frankston, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Books, CD's, DVD's, Kids Storytime, Internet.
- George Pentland Botanic Gardens, Williams Street, Frankston. November to March 7am-9pm April to October 7am-6pm.
- McClelland Gallery & Sculpture Park, 360 - 390 McClelland Drive, Langwarrin, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tuesday to Sunday 10am-5pm Closed on Mondays and some Public Holidays.
- Barefoot Bowls, Cnr Yuille & William Streets, ☎ . Every Friday Night at 6.00pm [weather permitting] until dusk, during daylight savings. It’s a fun night for families and a sausage sizzle is included. $8.00 per adult and $2.00 for children.
- Centenary Park Public Golf Course.
- Frankston Golf Club.
- Long Island Country Club.
- Bruce Park Tennis Club, Bruce Park, Margate Avenue, Frankston, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Overport Park Tennis Club, Corner Overport & Somerset Roads, Frankston, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Yamala Park Tennis Club, Corner Ithaca Road and Bowes Street, Frankston South, ☎ .
- Cycling. There are several bicycle paths around Frankston, the longest follows the train line from Frankston to Baxter
- Frankston Reservoir.
- Upper Sweet Water Creek Reserve.
- Seaford Skate Park, 50R Railway Parade, Seaford.
- Seaford BMX Racing Track, Old Wells Road, Seaford.
- Seaford Farmers Market, Station Street, Seaford (adjacent to the Seaford Community Centre). The third Sunday of each month from 8:00am to 1:00pm. Fresh produce.
- Frankston Sunday Market, Young Street, Frankston, ☎ . Sundays 8:00am to 1:00pm. Art and craft, plants, second hand goods, jam donuts. Entry $1.00.
- Kasturi Indian Restaurant, Shop 5, 20A Beach Street, Frankston, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Dinner: 5pm to 10.30pm 7 Days, Lunch: 12pm to 2.30pm Thur and Fri.
- Los Argentinos Charcoal Grill Restaurant, 14 Beach Street, Frankston, ☎ . Dinner 7 Days 5pm to 11pm, Lunch Saturday and Sunday 1pm to 3pm.
- Sofia, Frankston Pier, Frankston, ☎ .
- Waves On The Beach, 2/1N Long Island Drive, Frankston, ☎ . 7 Days, 11am till late.
- B'Artiste, 2/12 Young St, Frankston, ☎ .
- Davey's Bar, 510 Nepean Hwy Frankston, ☎ . Sun-Thu: noon-10pm Fri-Sat: noon-5am.
- Flanagans, 508 Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ .
- Epiphany nightclub, 480 Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ .
- Grand Hotel, 499 Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ .
- Ha'penny Bridge, Cnr Thompson and Wells Street, Frankston, ☎ .
- Pint & Pickle Tavern, 448A Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ .
- Robin Hood Tavern, 506 Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ .
- Shakespeare's Tavern, 101 Young Street, Frankston, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Lunch & Dinner 7 days a week. Live Music Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun nights. Artwork from local artists on display.
- Strike Bowling Bar, Wells St, Frankston, ☎ . 10am-late. Ten Pin Bowling. Thursday's Drink 2 Bowl deal offers a free game with any drink purchased.
- TwentyFirst Century, ☎ .
- BIG4 Frankston Holiday Park, 2 Robinsons Road, Frankston (Cnr Frankston-Flinders & Robinsons Rds), ☎ . Camp site for two adults $33 - $39.
Frankston station serves as a transit hub for bus and train services.
- Flinders - Bus 782 Frankston - Flinders via Coolart Road, Hastings. 
- Melbourne - By Train. 
- Melbourne Airport - 901 Bus  or Airport Shuttle - a much faster more expensive option than the 901 bus. 
- Mount Martha - Take the 781 bus via Mt Eliza and Mornington. 
- Portsea - Take the 788 bus via Dromana, Rosebud and Sorrento. 
- Stony Point - Take the train to Stony Point where ferry's leave for French Island and Phillip Island.