(Redirected from General Santos City)
General Santos City or "GenSan" is in the province of South Cotabato in the Philippines. It is a highly urbanized city located at the southern portion of South Cotabato, but perhaps its biggest claim to fame is that boxer Manny Pacquiao is a native. It is known as "The Tuna Capital of the Philippines". General Santos is also home to a lot of media practitioners and media companies.
The average temperature in the city is 28 degrees Celsius with a maximum of 36°C. There are only two seasons: the wet season starts in June and continues to October, the dry season then carries on to May. General Santos is outside the typhoon belt.
People from GenSan are mostly Roman Catholics. There are also a large number of Protestants and Muslims in the city. Every February, the city celebrates the Kalilangan Festival. And every September as also the celebration of the city chartered anniversary the Gensan Tuna Festival.
Cebuano is the main language spoken in General Santos City and the surrounding communities. Filipino based on Tagalog is spoken as the National Language. English is also widely used.
General Santos is served by the General Santos International Airport, the second largest airport in the country. It has daily flights to/from Manila and Cebu.
Cebu Pacific airlines also has flights to from General Santos to Iloilo 4 times per week
GenSan Seaport no longer has ferry trips to and from Manila, Zamboanga, or Iloilo. To get a ferry you need to travel to Cagayan de oro or Iligan city ports.
- Yellow Bus Lines - travels for Davao City, Koronadal City and the Upper Valley areas.
- Holiday Bus - travels to Davao City and Koronadal City.
- Husky Lines - travels to Davao City and Koronadal City.
Jeepneys, multi cabs and tricycles are the main modes of transportation within the city. White air-conditioned taxis, with meters installed, are also available.
- Majestic Mt. Matutum located north of the city.
- Wonderful and Fascinating Kalaja Karst.
- Diving at south divers point
- Beach at Gumasa 120 minutes away from General Santos
- Golf at Sarangani Golf Club (Sarangani Province) or Kalasangi Golf Club (Polomolok)
- Fitmart Gensan, Downtown Proper, Roxas West.
- Gaisano Mall of Gensan, J. Catolico St., Lagao beside SOCOTECO II-Gensan.
- KCC Mall of Gensan, J. Catolico St., Lagao GSC.
- Robinsons Place Gensan, Bula - Lagao Road, Lagao GSC.
- SM City General Santos, Santiago Blvd., Lagao GSC.
- Pahayahay Restobar (love all feed all) (located along J. Catolico between Petron and Phoenix gas stations.), ☎ 083-5520187. good music, great food, reggae feel, 24 hours open
- Bee Stop Restaurant (Bee), Santiago Boulevard GSC (In front of Gillamacs Building). A place where the best garlic, buttered and fried chicken can be found.
- Sarangani Highlands, Tambler, General Santos City.
- Fagioli, Petron Gasoline Station, Jose Catolico Ave., Lagao, General Santos City. if you just want to relax & have coffee. ideal time to visit will be during mid-afternoons when it isn't crowded. nice ambiance. you can bring along your laptop as the whole place is WI-FI enabled. they serve delicious "food for the gods."
- Chicken Hauz, South Osmeña, General Santos City. very casual atmosphere but if you try out their famous "garlic chicken", you will crave for more...
- Mang Gorio's Bahay Kainan, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Paseo del Sol, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Ranchero, National Highway, General Santos City.
- La Veranda, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Grab-A-Crab, Laurel East Ave., General Santos City.
- Orange Bistro, Jose Catolico Ave., Lagao, General Santos City.
- Casa Goatan, Bulaong Subdivision, General Santos City, ☎ 5524199.
- bee stop chicken house (bee), santiago boulevard (general santos city). Bee Stop is serving a delicious garlic chicken in town. also available: buttered and fried chicken.
- Goldenstate College Cafeteria, Bakeshoppe and Catering Service, Pioneer ave corner Acharon boulevard general santos city, ☎ 554 5545. food center,bakery,bakeshoppe,and catering service
- Rolands Steak House, Jose Catolico Ave. Lagao. Rolands serve the very best steak in the whole of GenSan city. Well worth a visit. Casual atmosphere but the service is good.
- Nelsons Market, General Santos City. Good Seafood and tuna
- Janna's Inasal de Cebu, National Highway, General Santos City. The best tasting lechon in town
- Tatay Pepe's Restobar, along Laurel East Street (in front of Bayantel Office), ☎ 3022555. 7pm-1am. Enjoy live entertainment NIGHTLY, rain or shine- beginning 9:30pm to 1:00am with acoustic modern, alternative and contemporary music and a little bit of love songs. Listen to our highly-acclaimed music selection in between jamming sets…
- Marasa Grill, #41 Kadulasan St., General Santos City (near Lea's Pension), ☎ (083)552-4628. 7AM-3PM. Marasa Grill serves lutong bahay and grilled meat and seafood. It also accepts catering for all occasions. It is open for breakfast and lunch.
Group rates for a complete meal ranges from P315-1025.00 for 4-6 persons. Php49-120.
- Blugre Coffee, JMP Bldg, S. Osmena Street (2 blocks East of Municipal Hall). 8:30 am - 12:00 am. Easily the best coffee in Gensan. The atmosphere is very comfortable with jazz music. Good desserts and light meals to go with espresso coffees, teas, iced-blended drinks, and excellent fresh-squeezed lemonade.
- Big Ben's, Robinson's Mall. Known for delicious steak, there are also many local options of good Filipino food. A very nice atmosphere with warm service.
- Pahayahay Restobar (love all feed all) (located along J. Catolico between Petron and Phoenix gas stations), ☎ 083-5520187. good music, great food, reggae feel, 24 hours open
- East Asia Royale Hotel, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Family Country Hotel, DBP Compound, General Santos City. p1050.
- Sydney Hotel, Pendatun Ave., General Santos City, aldrin. 1340/2000.
- Phela Grande Hotel, Pres. Quezon Ave., General Santos City.
- Miriam's Pension, General Santos City.
- Anchor Hotel.
- Cassado Bar, East Asia Royale Hotel Compound, National Highway, GSC.
- Sun City Suites, National Highway beside East Asia Royale Hotel.
- MLoft Business Hotel, Salvani St. Gen. Santos City, (Between Aparente and Mabuhay Rd.), ☎ (083)-5543833, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A newly built hotel in a quiet but accessible location, provides ample parking, wheel-chair friendly and has excellent service. 1500- 1850).
- Leas Pension House, Champaca and Rambutan Streets, ☎ 3010055. has a total of 40 rooms. Single fan rooms with own bathroom. Single A/C rooms with own bathroom. A/C double rooms with own bathroom. all rooms have cable TV. from php300/500/600.
- Vinces Pension House., Magsaysay Street., ☎ 5535983. Small single fan rooms with own bathrooms. a/c double rooms with own bathrooms p350/550.
- Matutum Hotel, P Acharon boulevard., ☎ 63-83-552-4901. 62.fan and a/c rooms with own bathrooms. php300/650.
- DSWD Dormitory, Roxas east aveune.. fan dorm beds php200.
- Rosario pension house, 34 camias street., ☎ 83-301-0355. a/c single/double with own bathroom and TV p400/500.
- Citifront Lodge, pioneer avenue, ☎ 83-302-9293. a/c double rooms with own bathroom. p450.
- Uccp christian center, 32 munasque street, ☎ 83-301-9181. fan dorm beds. p120.
- Jeds Haven, Rambutan street, ☎ 83-301-0282. a/c single/double rooms with own bathrooms and Cable tv. p480/545.
- Eleonas pension house, Lapu-lapu street cor of Quirino avenue., ☎ 83-553-8776. a/c single/double rooms with own bathrooms. p400/500.
Davao city is a 2- to 3-hour bus ride.