Gopalpur-on-sea is a beach resort in Ganjam district of Odisha (formerly Orissa). Once a busy sea port, it is now a quiet place. The din and bustle of the temple towns is totally absent and one can really enjoy the roar of the waves and the breeze bustling through the palm tress. With an increase in the inflow of tourists from the late seventies, Gopalpur-on-sea saw a slow revival and is today one of the foremost beach resorts in India.
- By air - The nearest airport is at Bhubaneswar, 180 km from Gopalpur-on-sea. Bhubaneshwar is a one-hour flight from Kolkata.
- By rail - The nearest railhead is Berhampur (16 km) on the Kolkata-Chennai line. Berhampur is 608 km from Howrah and 1069 km from Chennai.
Some of the trains which stop at Berhampur are: 6003/6004 Howrah Chennai Mail, 2703/2704 Faluknama Express, 8645/8646 East Coast Express, 2660/2659 Gurudev Express, 2863/2864 Howrah Yeshvantpur Express, 5228/5227 Muzaffarpur Yeshvantpur Express (weekly), 6355/6356 Kanyakumari Express (weekly), Howrah Tiruchirapalli Express (biweekly), 2508/2507 Guwahati Ernakulam Express (weekly), 2530/2509 Guwahati Bangalore Express (triweekly), 5628/5627 Guwahati Trivandrum Express (weekly), 5630/5629 Guwahati Chennai Egmore Express (weekly).
For timings etc. check with Indian Railways.
- By road – One can drive in to Gopalpur-on-sea from Berhampur (now renamed Brahmapur) on National Highway 5
- Gopalpur-on-sea does not have a tourist office but Government of Odisha has a tourist office at Berhampur. It is near the New Bus Stand (1st Floor), Berhampur, Distt Ganjam, Telephone: +91 680 2280226.
Auto-rickshaws and cycle-rickshaws are available in the area to move around. Buses, minibuses and tourist taxis can be hired from Berhampur.
Since the beach faces east ward, sunrises are spectacular.
Nearby there stands a lone imposing lighthouse complementing the scenery at the beach. There also are the crumbling walls and pillars of the jetty.
There is also a Light House on the beach (1965), which offers a spectacular 360 degree view of Gopalpur, the sea and a portion of the Chilika Lake. The Visiting time is 1530 - 1730 Local Time Daily. Be on time, they close sharp at 1730!! Nominal fees apply which are displayed there. Avoid carrying bags umbrellas etc. as these are not allowed atop the Light House.
There is always something to buy, if one is so keen. Odisha is famous for hand-woven saris and handicrafts.
- Pantha Nibas (Odisha Tourism Development Corporation Ltd.). Telephone +91 680 2243931, +91 680 2242088, Rooms Rs. 650-2650, email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
tel.0674 23 000 008 fax.0674 23 018 80 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel Song of the Sea,, ☎ . Rooms Rs. 750-1,200.
- Seaside Breeze, Telephone +91 680 2242075, Rooms Rs. 400-700.
- Hotel Holiday Home,, ☎ . Rooms Rs. 500-1,000.
- Hotel Kalinga, Telephone +91 33 680 2242067, Rooms Rs. 350-850.
- Rohini, Telephone +91 680 2242309, Rooms Rs. 400-750.
- Hotel Sea Pearl,, ☎ . Rooms rs. 600 - 1200
- Hotel Green Park, Telephone +91 680 2242016, Rooms Rs. 500-900
- Hotel Plaza Millennium,, ☎ . Rooms Rs. 500-1,200
- Hotel Heaven Spot, Telephone +91 680 224 3274, Rooms Rs. 400-800.
- Tourist Home, Telephone +91 680 2242068, Rooms Rs. 200-300.
- Holiday Inn,, ☎ . Rooms Rs. 50-200.
- Hotel Rosalin, Telephone +91 680 2242071, Rooms Rs. 100-150.
- Sai Tourist Lodge,, ☎ . Rooms Rs. 70-120.
- Natraj Tourist Lodge,, ☎ . Rooms Rs. 80-150.
- KRISHNA'S INTERNET ZONE, GOPALPUR (BEACH ROAD), ☎ .
- Taptapani hot springs – 67 km from Gopalpur-on-sea, about an hour’s drive.
- Chandragiri, Tibetan refugee village, 36 km south of Taptapani.