- The Castle Castello Aragonese is one of the most striking monuments on the island. It stands on a small island near Ischia Ponte. The castle can be reached over a stone bridge. The small island is about 113 meters high and the climb can be made on an old mule track or by using a modern elevator that was installed in the seventies. The castle was built in 1441 by Alfonso D’Aragona on top of the ruins of an old fort that dated back to 474 B.C. This fortified castle was used to protect Ischia’s population from pirate attacks. In the 16th century, almost 1900 families lived in the castle, as well as.
- Guevara Tower - The tower represents as well as the Castle one of the best known symbols of the island. It is called Guevara or Michelangelo’s Tower and is rising in front of the Castle, surrounded by a lawn and facing Sant’Anna rocks. The tower has been rebuilt on the ruins of an ancient fortress: it is likely one of the defence towers built from the XV century to protect the Castle islet ant the coast against enemies’raids. The tower derives its name from the Dukes of Guevara who were the ownwers since the beginning of 1800. Its second name derives from a groundless legend which tells that the world famous artist Michelangelo, who was a friend of the poetess Vittoria Colonna, stayed in the tower when he was visiting the island. The tower is nowadays used as arts exhibition centre.