Isla Vista is an unincorporated community in Santa Barbara County, California, United States. As of the 2000 census, it had a population of 18,344. The majority of residents are students at nearby University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB). The beach-side community is a census-designated place west of UCSB, on a flat plateau about 30 feet in elevation, separated from the beach by a bluff. Many paths connect the town to the beach.
Isla Vista enjoys a Mediterranean climate and often has slightly less precipitation than either Santa Barbara or the adjacent community of Goleta. Isla Vista is on a south-facing portion of the Santa Barbara County coast, between two small peninsulas, Coal Oil Point and Campus Point, in view of the Channel Islands.
Access via Hwy 217, through UCSB campus, or by taking Hwy 101 exit Glenn Annie/Storke Rd. or Los Carneros Rd., South until it run into El Colegio Rd.
- Campus Point - provides a great view of the ocean
- Lots of little parks scattered along Del Playa
- Music festivals usually located in the park, or concerts on campus
- Performances on and off campus given by the local Improv troupe, or by comedians such as Jon Stewart
- Laughology; free stand-up comedy show that has brought comedians such as Kyle Cease
- Visiting the beach
- Ride Beach-Cruiser
- Visit Halloween
- Isla Vista Surf Shop
- Precious Slut (Tattoos and Piercings)
- Miss Behavin', 6551 Trigo Road. Clothing + Accessories
- Hempwise (Cannabis Culture), 971 Embarcadero del Mar, ☎ . 11am-7pm.
Popular restaurants all within walking distance of UCSB
- Silvergreen's (Healthy)
- Freeb!rd's (Mexican)
- Coffee Collaborative (Coffee)
- Super Cucas (Mexican)
- Cantina (Mexican, Great Breakfast burritos)
- Woodstock's (Pizza)
- Sam's-To-Go! (Sandwich Shop, Known for beer pitchers and afternoon people watching)
- Keg N' Bottle (Market)
- Kaptain's Firehouse BBQ (BBQ)
- Kogilicious (Korean)
- S.O.S. (Liquor Store)
- Javan's (Sandwich Shop)
- Giovanni's (Italian)
- Pita Pit (Pita Shop)
- Naan Stop (Indian)
There are several popular places to drink in Isla Vista. Many restaurants serve beer, and the local Study Hall Bar is the best place for spirits.
- Many local partake in what is known as "the loop", which is going to all the places in Isla Vista that serve beer, and having a beer. By going to all beer-serving establishments, a loop is made.
- Del Playa Dr. ("D.P.") is the street closest to the ocean. Here is where the majority of the house parties are. On most nights there will be "Keg Parties", and students walking around.
- There are no hotels in Isla Vista. The only one within walking distance is the Courtyard Marriott in Goleta at 401 Storke Road.