- Ivanovo — the capital of the region is also a former world capital of the textile industry; for the hundreds of thousands of women who worked in the textile industry, Ivanovo has been called "The City of Brides"
- Kineshma — the second largest city in the region has a prominent cathedral and several estate-museums, including that of the great 19th century composer Alexander Borodin
- Palekh — a town famous for its 19th century school of icon and mural painting and for its contemporary lacquer-painted miniatures
- Plyos — an exceptionally pretty town of the Golden Ring and also the smallest, home to the Isaac Levitan House Museum
- Shuya — visit nearby Nikolo-Shartomsky Abbey, one of Russia's largest monastic communities and home to the world's largest freestanding bell tower
- Staraya Vichuga — a small town with a neglected but nonetheless grandiose palace of Count Tatishchev
Everyone speaks Russian; few speak much else.