Jämtland County is a division of the Norrland region in Sweden, containing the Jämtland province (archaic spelling Jemtland), as well as the smaller province Härjedalen. Among travellers, the area is best known for winter sport and hiking.
- Östersund is the county seat, and the only city.
- Åre is arguably Sweden's most famous ski resort.
- Bräcke, a railway hub, and the gateway to Västernorrland County.
- Strömsund, the northern, and least populated, part of Jämtland.
- Krokom just north of Storsjön.
- Härjedalen, a province on its own, with Sveg as the municipal seat.
With 12 per cent of Sweden's land area, Jämtland County has only 1.5 per cent of the national population.
Jämtland's history differs from the rest of Norrland; during the Middle Ages, it was governed by the Jamtamot, essentially an independent republic. From the 12th century until the 17th, Jämtland was governed by Norway.
The Sami culture has been present in Jämtland since time immemorial.
Resrobot is a search engine for all public transport in Sweden.
- Åre Östersund Airport. If going from another country, flying with SAS from Stockholm-Arlanda would be best. Other operators to Östersund are e.g. Malmö Aviation.
- Sveg Airport flights operated by Avies. Flights from Stockholm-Arlanda
- Røros airport in Norway, if going to western Härjedalen. Flights from Oslo. A car should be rented. Some ski resorts offer taxi transfer, ask them.
- There are trains from Stockholm, Sundsvall and Trondheim to Östersund and Åre and some other places, operated by SJ.
- Going to Sveg, there are local buses from Mora, Ljusdal or Ånge, which have train connections. You can get a ticket all the way from SJ.
- From Stockholm: E4 past Gävle, then road 83 to Ånge and then E14.
- From Malmö: E4 to Jönköping, then road 26 to Mora and then E45.
- From Oslo: E6 almost to Hamar, road 3 and then road 25 to the border. After that road 311 to Särna and then the road to Sveg (no number but good condition) and so road E45.
Settlements in Jämtland are far from each other.
- Norrtåg has trains Storlien-Åre-Östersund-Sundsvall with more intermediate stops.
- Inlandsbanan has tourist trains Mora-Sveg-Östersund-Dorotea and further north.
- Länstrafiken Jämtland has buses within the county.
The Scandinavian Mountains, fjällen.