West Jakarta is in Jakarta. This site is also part of the Old Batavia and is home to Jakarta's Chinatown called Glodok area. Glodok is more of electronic promenade of Jakarta, however is rich in street hawker food and Chinese cuisine restaurant as well as old Chinese temples complexes. There are a lot of shopping going on in this area as well, as it is home to Mall Taman Anggrek and cheap shopping lanes at Mangga Dua. This area is also home to Jakarta's biggest nightlife entertainment and red light district quarter Mangga Besar.
Multiple Transjakarta lines traverse through this area. Line 1 goes from the heart of Jakarta to the Old City. Line 3 goes from Pasar Baru at Central Jakarta to Kalideres bus terminal. Line 9 follows the Inner Ring Road from both North and South Jakarta.
By public transit
Multiple Transjakarta lines traverse through the area, especially around the Old City, Harmoni and Grogol. Line 9 follows the Inner Ring Road, Line 3 goes to Kalideres along Daan Mogot Avenue, Line 8 travels through the heart of the area into Lebak Bulus at South Jakarta.
The Old City, despite situated up north, is actually administratively divided by North Jakarta and West Jakarta, with the latter occupying more attractions, especially the center of its attraction, the Fatahillah square. Most leisure visitors coming to Jakarta start their trip here to see what Jakarta has to offer.
- Bank Indonesia Museum, Jl. Pintu Besar Utara No.4, ☎ . Perhaps the best museum in the area as it displays the legacy of Indonesia (and a general overview of the world)'s monetary and economy history, with music and technology that works through your senses. Free.
- Diamond City Drawbridge, Jl Nelayan Barat / Jl. Kali Besar Barat.. A Dutch style drawbridge that crosses a canal, situated near what was once the Diamond Fort.
- Jakarta History Museum (Museum Fatahillah), Jl. Taman Fatahillah No. 1, ☎ . The building was a city hall (Stadhuis) until 1710, and then an underground prison, and used as the provincial office before restored into its use today as Jakarta's History Museum in 1974. Start from the right entrance, the first room you'll encounter is the transportation mode Jakarta used, including carts. Next, the chronology begins with writing on the stones that tells the growth of the area from as early as the 5th Century, then the Portuguese and the Dutch. The backyard has the famous Jagur cannon. Other highlights include the fusion of cultures from both in and out of Indonesia, and the assimilation that shapes the local Betawi culture. The basement was formerly a dark prison of torture. Rp 5,000 per adult.
- Puppet Museum (Museum Wayang), Jl. Pintu Besar Utara No. 27. (west of Taman Fatahillah), ☎ . Daily except Monday, 08.30 AM to 03.00 PM. This is the museum that tells stories about the infamous Wayang, a Javanese puppet regularly appearing in traditional shows to tell philosophies (hence discouraging to be called a mere toy). There are different types of wayang from the shadow puppets to marionettes, from Java and around the world. Grab a tour guide (staff) to explain everything in English (the description on the display is not very helpful). The shadow puppet show is regularly held at 11AM on Sunday. From Rp5,000 per adult.
- Museum of Fine Arts and Ceramic, Jl. Pos Kota No. 2, ☎ . 8AM-3PM. A fine art gallery featuring some of Indonesia's maestros of art. Not just paintings, but ceramic sculptures, and structures that represent the Hindu mythology commonly found in temples (candi). From Rp 5,000 per adult.
- Textile Museum, Jl. KS. Tubun No. 4,, ☎ . A museum where textile motifs and textures from all across Indonesia. The batik even has its own dedicated gallery that awes you by the different motives and its use. You can even make your own batik for Rp40,000! There are also tenun machines at the back that you can use and a library of colors used for dying the cloth, including its origin.
- Bliss Spa, ☎ (62)(21) 545 7891. Komplex Daan Mogot Baru, Block 1A/12-A, West Jakarta,
- Kimochi Spa, ☎ (62)(21) 624 0389. Kompl Sentra Pangeran Jayakarta Bl D/36-37, Jakarta 11180.
- Puri Handayani Spa, ☎ (62)(21) 628 5964. Jl P. Jayakarta 45-49, Kompleks Kota Indah, Bl. C-19/21, West Jakarta.
- Puri Spa, ☎ (62)(21) 5835 3754. Rukan Puri Niaga, II Block M-8/5-C, West Jakarta,
- Golden Crown, ☎ (62)(21) 6230 2888. Jl Pinangsia Raya 1 Glodok Plaza Lt 3, Jakarta 11110,
- Lido Palace, ☎ (62)(21) 601 5955. Jl Mangga Dua Raya Harco Mangga Dua Plaza Bl B/119, Jakarta 10730,
- Milles Executive Club, ☎ (62)(21) 625 5318. Jl Lokasari Mangga Besar Plaza Lt 4, Jakarta 11170,
- Valentino Night Club, ☎ (62)(21) 659 3709. Jl Mangga Besar Raya 91-E, Jakarta 11170,
- Deluxe Karaoke, ☎ (62)(21) 53671908. Jl Letjen S Parman Kav 78 Hotel Menara Peninsula Lt Dasar, Jakarta 11410,
- FM1 Karaoke, ☎ (62)(21) 5633333. Boutique Hotel, Jl Letjen S Parman Kav 8, Jakarta Barat,
- Hole In One Karaoke, ☎ (62)(21) 6264168. Hotel Wiltop, Jl P Jayakarta 44, Jakarta 11110,
- Travel Karaoke, Travel Hotel, Jl Mangga Besar VIII 21, Jakarta 11150, Tel.: (62)(21) 6012721, Jl Mangga Besar VIII 7, Jakarta 11170, Tel.: (62)(21) 6009925
- Antik Discotheque, ☎ (62)(21) 6494980. Jl. P Jayakarta 45 Bl A-1/17-20, Jakarta 11110,
- Jakarta Discotheque, ☎ (62)(21) 6591689. Jl. Mangga Besar Raya 91 D/E-93, Jakarta 11170,
- Kaliber, ☎ (62)(21) 6916688. Jl. Kali Besar Brt 22, Jakarta 11230,
- Millennium Discotheque, ☎ (62)(21) 63857552. Jl. Gajah Mada 19-26 Gajah Mada Plaza Lt 5-6, Jakarta 10130,
- Rasa Sayang Discotheque, ☎ (62)(21) 6398789. Jl. Mangga Besar I 63 H-F, Jakarta 11180,
- Widya Discotheque, ☎ (62)(21) 5682886. Jl. Daan Mogot I 11, Jakarta 11470,
- Puri Driving Range, ☎ (62)(21) 587 2784. Jl. Taman Aries Block E1/1, West Jakarta.
- Skyrink, Mal Taman Anggrek Lt. 3, Jl Letjen, S. Parman Kav 21 Jakarta 11470, ☎ (62)(21) 564 2888, fax: (62)(21) 564-3888. Established in 1995.
A unique scene exists in West Jakarta compared to its counterparts. While malls are typical, the West features most of Jakarta's shopping strip, from street vendors to a long strip of multiple malls joined by skybridges.
- Central Park (locally abrreviated CP), Jalan Letnan Jenderal S Parman Kav. 28 (Podomoro City). An increasingly well known shopping mall that has branded fashions (not the upscale like Hermes or Louis Vuitton though), Sogo department store and a huge Gramedia bookstore. Huge garden area with fish ponds, gardens and big stage for a night out. Do not miss the Tribeca portion separated by the park for better dining options. Unique eating options especially East Asian, including 1 special food court for a Japanese taste. Right next to Mal Taman Anggrek.
- Mal Ciputra Jakarta (Citraland or abbreviated CL), Jl. Arteri S. Parman, Grogol,, ☎ . More distinguishable by the tall Ciputra Hotel rather than by the mall itself. Middle class mall filled with students from nearby Trisakti and Tarumanegara Universities, cheap to reasonably priced clothing and cheap places to eat and drink.
- Mal Taman Anggrek (locally abbreviated TA), Jalan Letnan Jenderal S. Parman Kav. 21. One of the most well known places to shop in Jakarta. 5 cavernous floors comprising of mostly middle class options. Highlights include the biggest ice skating rink in Southeast Asia, a Hero supermarket, Uniqlo fashion store and Metro department store. Commons here include electronic, furniture, and home appliance stores. Distinguishable by the 7 apartment towers on it and its long wall of LED lights that makes a beautiful sight as you are coming.
- PX Pavilion @ The St. Moritz, Jalan Puri Indah Boulevard Blok U1. Supposedly a mall that will spruce as the St. Moritz super block complex attaches to is done. For now, multiple upscale eating tenants dominantly fill up the space as well as the 99 Ranch Market, the Times bookstore, the Harley Davidson store, and the Nano massage parlor (reasonably priced body and foot massage you can get in a mall!).
- Puri Indah Mall, Jl. Puri Agung, Puri Indah Kembangan Selatan,, ☎ . A classical style mall like the Plaza Senayan, without the premium fashion brands. One of the best places to eat with plenty of restaurants.
- Glodok. The Glodok area is the Chinatown of Jakarta! While you may not see upscale Chinese restaurants, the locals do shop here for gadgets, from game consoles to Hi-Fi stereos. Beware that many of them have been scrutinized and can be a counterfeit hardware. Other items to look for include home appliances and hardware materials. The most trusted can generally be found at the Lindeteves Trade Center (LTC).
The center of budget eating is mainly within the Mangga Besar area, catering to mostly Chinese tongues. It is after all, the heart of Chinatown.
- Bakmi GM, Jl. Gajah Mada Raya No. 92. The flagship store (or the first) of the Bakmi GM chain branch. You pay once you order and your dish comes out darn quick (in less than 10 minutes). Include the Bakmi Special GM and the Pangsit Goreng with the sweet and spicy sauce. From Rp15,000.
- Bakso Akiaw 99, Jl. Mangga Besar Raya 2B. The place is steaming (literally, no AC) as you get here, but pays off with the succulent meatballs (bakso), compliment with a choice of noodles or rice noodles (thick or thin). From Rp20,000.
- Joni Steak, Jl. Gajah Mada Raya No. 91, Gajah Mada, ☎ . Mains from Rp30,000. Specializing in steak, subpar quality for the price.
- Kamseng Resto, Jl. Mangga Besar I No. 26, ☎ . 24 hours. An especially good option for a dine supper through breakfast, famous for its clay pot porridge, with any options you can add on such as fish or pork, egg (try the premium pitan: fermentated chicken or duck egg), and the very enticing cahkwe (shrimp breadstick/youtiao). From Rp40,000.
- Kwetiau Sapi 78 Mangga Besar, Jl. Mangga Besar Raya No. 78 D, ☎ . For its namesake, order the Kwetiau Sapi (beef thick rice noodle), preferably with the gravy (Kwetiau Siram Sapi), or if you don't want it messy or wet in your mouth, the fried one (Kwetiau Goreng Sapi) can be a good option. From Rp25,000.
- Suisse Bakery, Jl. Hayam Wuruk 114 Blok A No. 5 - 6. A bakery that has stayed for long (roughly 50 years), where delicious bread, both topped and filled, are perfect for snacking.
You can find most of these options in malls, although on-the-street establishments are also abound.
- Cahaya Lestari, Jl. Mangga Besar Raya No. 87, ☎ . A Chinese restaurant perfect for a communal meal with family.
- Gandy Steakhouse, Jl. Hayam Wuruk 73, ☎ . A bakery at the bottom, a restaurant at the top floor (complimentary in-house dinner roll). Specializes in grilled steaks, do compliment with mushroom sauce. In-house band playing oldies (80s or 90s) music both local and international. Mains from Rp75,000.
- Nanny's Pavilion, Central Park, Ground Floor, Sogo Central Park,, ☎ . A classy style restaurant where the waiters/waitresses dress up like your nanny. Specializes in western food such as steak and pasta. But the recommendations are the waffles or crepes with ice cream.
- Tamani Kafe, Jl. Hayam Wuruk 96A, Jl. Tomang Raya 15, ☎ , fax: +62 21 5694 3270. A western style restaurant, specializing in pasta and steaks. For drinks, have a try of the Thai Iced Tea. Mains from Rp50,000.
- Tokio Kitchen, Central Park, Lantai 2,, ☎ . It's a Japanese food court with any Japanese dishes you can think of, from cold soba to okonomiyaki. From Rp25,000; most Rp40,000 to Rp50,000.
- Cafe Batavia, ☎ . This establishment in the heart of Kota oozes old-school colonial style: it serves international and Indonesian food at brunch, lunch and dinner and doubles as a party spot at nights. Rp 100,000++.
List of Bars:
- Bintang Mawar, Jl Mangga Besar VII 17-19-21, Jakarta 11170, Tel.: (62)(21) 6594826
- Blueprints Bar, ☎ (62)(21) 56960888. Jl Letjen S Parman Kav 93-94 Hotel Twin Plaza Menara Asri Lt 1, Jakarta 11420,
- Brown Bar, ☎ (62)(21) 6907926. Jl Kali Besar Brt 44-46, Jakarta 11230,
- Cafe Batavia, ☎ (62)(21) 691 5531. Taman Fatahillah, Kota, Jakarta Barat. The downstairs music box bar is subtly lit with tables around couches. The upstairs Churchill bar next to the restaurant was rated in Newsweek's Best Bars in the World a few years ago. Great cocktails, beautiful building.
- Club 36 Bar, Hotel Jayakarta, Jalam Hayam Wuruk 126, Jakarta, Tel. : (62)(21) 532 8682. Las Vegas style bar/girly bar with karaoke, and gogo dancers. Foreign dancers from Thailand, Turkey, eastern Europe. Opening hours: 01.00 PM to 05.00 AM (Mon-Sat), 06.00 PM to 05.00 AM (Sun). 36 karaoke rooms.
- CT Bar, ☎ (62)(21) 6248680. Jl Hayam Wuruk 123, Jakarta 11160,
- Alma, Jl. K.S. Tubun No. 10A, ☎ , fax: +62 21 563 2634. 5 minutes away on foot to Tanah Abang. Modern style hotel with decent rooms and restaurant. From Rp330,000.
- Kalisma Hotel, Jl. K.S. Tubun no. 15-17, West Jakarta 10260, ☎ , fax: +62 21 5367 9739. 5-minute walk to Tanah Abang at Central. A simple room that has a small TV and fridge, and a small decent restaurant. Lots of green plants within the property. From Rp310,000.
- Capitol, Jl. Toko Tiga Seberang 27, ☎ . At the back door of Glodok. Budget style hotel with minimum facilities (AC, TV, hot shower). From Rp200,000.
- ibis budget Jakarta Daan Mogot, Jalan Daan Mogot 50B, ☎ , e-mail: info@ibisbudget-Jakarta-Daan-Mogot.com. Check-in: From Rp278,000. A great option hotel for budget travelers from the Ibis brand, 10 minutes away from Taman Anggrek Mall. Modest amenities in rooms with colorful interior, the triple option includes a double bed and a bunk bed above it.
- Sparks, Jl. Mangga Besar Raya 42,, ☎ . Funky designer hotel in the corner from Mangga Dua and with good BRT access. You can choose not only your room type, but color as well (green, blue or purple). The upstairs is a loud bar with disco and dancers. Not suitable for families but may be great for bachelors or bachelorettes. From Rp450,000.
- Hotel Menara Peninsula, Jl. Let. Jend. S. Parman 78, ☎ . Convenient location, not terribly disturbed by the traffic despite at a main road, close to Sudirman and Taman Anggrek Mall. A good deal of rooms overlooking the breathtaking buildings on both sides of the hotel. The suites feature a large desk and free Internet, while the top floors include a dedicated check in desk and complimentary breakfast. Two of the restaurants offer signature fusion of dishes. From Rp900,000.
- Jayakarta, Jl Hayam Wuruk 126, Jakarta 11180, ☎ , fax: +62 21 629 3000. Near the Glodok area. Good old hotel with classic rooms. Small in-house restaurant with mostly Indonesian dishes. The Imperial Kitchen premium Chinese restaurant is within the property.
- Ibis Slipi, Jl. S. Parman Kav. 59, Jakarta – 11410, ☎ , fax: +62 21 532 3880. A (nearly) budget hotel near the CBD. Good old Ibis style interior with basic rooms and its 2 restaurants. From Rp500,000.
- Mercure Jakarta Kota, Jl. Hayam Wuruk No. 123, ☎ . Conveniently located at the corner of Hayam Wuruk and Mangga Besar. A sense of red like the Mercure in the interior. Very spacious rooms and faintly hear the street sounds at the high floors. Nice breakfast with mainly Indonesian choices, but western menus also available. From Rp550,000.
- Twin Plaza (formerly Boulevard Park Plaza), Jl. S. Parman Kav 93-94, Slipi, Jakarta 11420, ☎ , fax: +62 21 5696 0777. A colorful exterior but poorly lit and somewhat worn interior, at least it have the basic amenities and good breakfast. Located close to Taman Anggrek. From Rp700,000.
- Ciputra, Jalan Letnan Jenderal S. Parman, Jakarta 11470., ☎ . The first giant hotel you'll encounter when you make your way to the city from the airport. Get the room on the right wing (as you face the hotel) for a city view. The Cabana Suite is suitable for a family as it includes a Nintendo Wii, as well as a direct access to the pool. Artsy style restaurant and a bar beside the pool. Attached to Citraland Mall or within walking distance to Central Park or Mal Taman Anggrek. From Rp1,400,000.
- Pullman Central Park, Jl. Letjen S. Parman, ☎ . A sleek 5 star hotel above the Central Park Mall. Chic and spacious rooms with a sense of black and white. All day dining at Collage with live cooking demonstrations and top off with a wine at Vinoteca or a Bloody Mary at Bunk bar. Also provides spa, massage, fitness and pool for your wellbeing. From Rp1,400,000.
- Santika Premiere Jakarta, Jl. Aipda K.S. Tubun no. 7, ☎ , fax: +62 21 548 3457. The flagship property of the local Santika brand.
- Ambulance: 118.
- Police: 110.
- West Jakarta Police station: Jl. Raya Kembangan No. 2, Kebon Jeruk, Tel.: (62)(21) 5480303, (62)(21) 5482371.
List of hospitals with 24 hours emergency room (ER):
- RS Pelni " PETAMBURAN", Jl . Aipda K.S. Tubun 92-94 Jakarta Barat. Tel.: (62)(21) 5480608, (62)(21) 5484809, (62)(21) 5306901. Fax.: (62)(21) 5483145.
- RS Sumber Waras, Jl. Kyai Tapa Grogol, Tel.: (62)(21) 5682011, (62)(21) 5605800. Fax.: (62)(21) 5673122.
- RS Graha Medika, Jl. Raya Perjuangan Kebon Jeruk Jakarta Barat 11530, Tel. (62)(21) 5300 887, (62)(21) 5300 888, Fax. (62)(21) 5300 876.
- RS Manuela, Jl. Mangga Besar VII/23, Jakarta Barat, Tel.:(62)(21) 6283118, (62)(21) 6248622.
- RS Patria, Jl.Cendrawasih No.1, Slipi, Tel.: (62)(21) 530 8681, (62)(21) 530 8685, (62)(21) 534 6387