Jasper is a city in Texas.
Jasper gained a measure of notoriety when an African-American man was dragged to his death behind a pick-up truck in a gruesome lynching in 1998. Much of the town subsequently unified to express revulsion for the crime and opposition to the racial hatred that motivated it.
- US 96 south from San Augustine or north from Kirbyville and Beaumont
- US 190, about 100 miles east of Huntsville
- Beaty-Orton House 200 S. Main, (near Sandy Creek Park) +1 409-383-6138. Historic two-story home. M-F 8AM-5PM. Donation requested.
- Sam Rayburn Powerhouse (just off Recreation Road 255). +1 409-384-5716. This sixteen story hydroelectric power plant has won awards for design.
- Sam Rayburn Reservoir Fishing, boating.
- Sandy Creek Park and Trail (between S, Main and Marvin Hancock Dr.) Open dawn to dusk. One mile loop walking/running trail, playground and covered picnic areas.
- Crafts & Things, +1 409 384-6383. Locally made craft items.
- Junktique, +1 409 384-4166. Antiques.
- Milam Street Gallery, +1 409 384-4465. Antiques and collectibles.
Hamburger Depot, 283 S Wheeler St, ☎ . Local favorite for hamburgers and all the fixin's.
Texas Star Café, 205 N Wheeler St, ☎ . Cheap but tasty downhome cooking.
Holiday Inn Express, 239 East Gibson, ☎ . Clean rooms with interior access, mini-fridge, microwave, and free internet access.
Ramada Inn, 239 East Gibson, ☎ . Clean rooms. Laundry service and restaurant/bar on the premises. Pets OK.
Super 8, 2100 North Wheeler, ☎ . Clean and relatively new. Squeamish drivers may want to pass on this one, as its parking lot exits at a rather dangerous busy intersection.
Swann Hotel Bed and Breakfast, 250 N Main St, ☎ . Restored wooden Victorian inn built in 1901.
|Routes through Jasper|
|Tenaha ← San Augustine ←||N S||→ Slisbee → Beaumont|
|Huntsville ← Livingston ←||W E||→ DeRidder → Opelousas|