The easiest way to get to Joseph is along highway 82 east from La Grande, Oregon. Be prepared as this is a small two-lane highway with limited shoulder area and often has construction work in progress. It is about 72 miles from La Grande to Joseph so make sure you fuel up before leaving. There is also a local small airport with a 5,000 long runway about 1 mile west of Joseph.
In a quaint town like Joseph the primary means of transport is your own vehicle. Do not expect any form of public transportation here. Do not be surprised to see horses tied to a rail along the main streeet, the old west still lives on in Joseph.
- Hells Canyon National Recreation Area.
- Wallowa State Park.
- Wallowa-Whitman National Forest.
- Eagle Cap Wilderness.
Joseph itself is a mixed little town, part modern west farm town and part old west. The buildings are a mix of both, often within the same block. Due to its proximity to so many wilderness areas it serves as a local replenishment station. The Joseph city managers have seen fit to erect a small kiosk about the middle of Main Street to provide weary tourists with all the information they could ask for. The best way to learn about Joseph is to get out along Main Street and walk. It is through walking that you will discover all of the little curiosity shops tucked along Main Street and the characters they contain within.
- Gobblers Knob Emporium, Inc., 19 S. Main Street. Pizza, Hoagies, Soups & Salads
- Mountain Air Cafe, 4 S. Main Street. Homestyle cooking
- Old Town Cafe, 8 S. Main Street. Espresso drinks,Whiskey Bread Pudding, and more!
- Outlaw Restaurant & Saloon, 108 N. Main Joseph -- Steak to Hamburgers
- Wildflour Bakery, 600 N Main Street. Organic, Artisian Breads
- Shooters Sports Bar, 101 S. Main Street. Cocktails, Pool, Darts, and Widescreen TV
- Eagle Cap Chalets.
- Flying Arrow Resort.
- Heidi's Cabins.
- Indian Lodge Motel, 59989 Mt. Howard Lane, ☎ , toll-free: .
- Mountain View Motel & RV Park.
- Wallowa Lake Lodge, Inc..