Junagadh is a historical city in Gujarat, in the west of India, on the Arabian Sea. The region of Junagadh became a district of Gujarat state in 1960. Junagadh was formerly the state capital and is now a district administrative center. It is also a market for gold and silver embroidery, perfume, and copper and brass vessels. It is the only place where wild Asiatic lions are still found.
This city is surrounded by hills, hence an ideal place for a fort to be built.
The Junagadh Railway Station is well-connected to all the major cities in India.
Route from Ahmedabad to Junagadh Approximate distance 336 km | Drive time about: 6.72 hrs
Route from Rajkot to Junagadh Approximate distance 110 km | Drive time about: 2.2 hrs
Route from Vadodara to Junagadh Approximate distance 400 km | Drive time about: 7 hrs
State bus service from Porbandar (around 80 min journey), Rajkot and Veraval (around 90 minute journey).
- Fort walls surrounding the town
- Darbaar Hall, now the Junagadh Museum - It remains closed for public on Wednesdays.
- Sakkarbaug Zoo for specially Asiatic lions - It remains closed for public on Wednesdays.
- Uparkot fort- Must see. A few good spots like Buddhist cave, Adi-Kadi Vav, Jamia masjid are inside this fort. Has a radius of half km. or Vehicle can also reach to all these spots inside fort. May take 2-3 hours to see all these.
- Jami Masjid -go to the top of this mosque to enjoy Junagadh's beauty.
- 2nd century Buddhist caves
- Khapara-Kodia caves
- Tomb of Nuri Shah
- Tomb of Bahar-ud-din Bhar
- Adi-kadi Vav -must see
- Navghan Kuvo
- The mausoleums of the Nawabs of Junagadh
- Holy hill of Girnar- It takes minimum 5-6 hours to by foot to reach the top of the hill. its a hilly, steep and difficult task for easy goers. There are around 10 thousand steps, which are not built, but formed due to pilgrims' walks. One may see lions if he is lucky.
If you cannot reach the top of the hill, atleast have a look through binocular ( Rs.5 for one view) which available after 50th or 100th step. you can imagine or plan whether you can reach the top.
- Gir National Park - If you're staying in Junagadh, make it to Saasan early to go on the morning safari. There is no mid-day batch. So, if you are a late riser, chances are you will have to wait long hours for the evening batch. Check the latest timings with residents a day in advance.
- Jatashankar Mahadev Mandir - Jatashankar Mahadev temple can be reached by walking towards Girnar steps. There is a left turn in a street before Girnar steps where there is another way to go upwards. To reach Jatashankar Mahadev, there are two ways: one through steps and other through the jungle. One needs to climb 500 steps and a trekking path from the jungle at the right side after climbing 500 steps. A direction board is placed after 500 steps towards Jatashankar. In monsoon season, after trekking to some distance behind the Temple, one can enjoy tiny waterfalls and have a bath in fresh water collection between big rocks. Complete silence can be enjoyed here with only sounds of birds, monkeys and others.
- Ashok Shilalek
- Sakkarbaug Zoo
- Wild Museum
- Jain Deresar
- Narsinh Mehta no Choro
- Upper Kot
- Darbar Hall Museum
- Gayatri Mandir and Vagheshwari Mandir
- Damodar Kund
- Damodarji Temple
- Dataar Hills
- Science Museum
- Wellington Dam
- Moti Baug
- Mujkund Caves
- Ayurvedic Museum
- Narsinh Maheta Lake
- Bahauddin College
- Kesar Keri (Mangoes)
- Shri Swaminarayana Mandir
- Swami Vivekananda Vinay Mandir
- Swaminarayan Akshardham Mandir (Aksharvadi)
one sealed tin of 900 grams Kesar Keri (Mango Pulp) costs around Rs.100/-
One Kg of Mango ( Kesar , Alphonso ) costs INR 200 at the max.
For Electronic Home Appliances and other products eg - Tv, Lcd, Led, A/C, Washing Machine, Induction Cookers and Kitchen Products You can visit the Well Known and Oldest Shop in Town Shyam Agencies Azad Chowk, M.G.Road, Opp. Junagadh Municipal Corporation +91 96629 00013 / +91285 2651844 / +91 98255 51844
- Swati Restaurant, Jayshree Road ,Junagadh
- Garden Cafe,Junagadh
- Shri Chamunda Lachchhi Shop, 1.5 km from Junagadh Railway Station.
- Dahi vada at Nav Jeevan Sweets, Kalwa Chowk
- Dal Puri and Aaloo Puri available in various stalls near Junagadh museum.
- Sagar Restaurant, Jayshree Road, Near Kalwa Chock, Junagadh
- Leo Resort ,Bhavnath Taleti Road ,Junagadh
- Santoor Restaurant, M.G. Road , Junagadh
- Geeta Lodge, Good Kathiawad Thali, on Station Road.
Kashmiri Lime Soda Mango Pulp
Hotel Gautham Guest House: Kaiwa Chowk, Junagadh. Price: Rs.300 to 500. Phone: 0285-2626432