First named in 1801 by a French explorer, the town emerged in the 1950s as a growing rock lobster (crayfish) export industry a semi-permanent community of fishermen. The town was little more that a ramble of corrugated iron shacks and boat sheds till the 1980s when a tourist industry developed.
Jurien Bay is a 2.5hr drive from Perth.
A daily TransWA service will only get you as far as the turn off on Brand Hwy. From there you are on your own.
The quickest way up the coast is along the Brand Hwy till the turn off at Jurien Bay Rd.
- Jurien Bay Marine Park - Covering the stretch of ocean off the coast including a number of islands. Among the sealife are sea lions, dolphins and the occasional migrating whale. Carter boats take out groups to swim with the sea lions.
- The Old Jetty - An old wooden jetty encrusted with equally crusty old fishermen juts its crooked finger out to the ocean as if to say "that's where the fish are".
- Lesueur National Park, Cockleshell Gully Rd. A 15min drive out of town is an important nature reserve for flora conservation. The sandy hills are blanketed by over 900 species of plants including several species, some endangered, not found elsewhere. Mount Lesueur provides a good view of the bay. $11 per car.
- Coastal walk. A trail runs from the jetty to Dynamite Bay with some great views of the bay.
- Go fishing - The commercial fishing industry is only interested in the high value crayfish, leaving plenty of dhufish, snapper and groper for the more casual angler.
- Play golf (Jurien Bay Country Golf Club), 19th Ave, ☎ . Hack away on a golf course in the dunes that features some gigantic sand traps
- Snorkelling and diving - A string of islands surrounded with limestone reefs honeycombed with caves provide plenty of opportunity to get wet.
- Rock Lobster
- Jurien Bay Tourist Park, 1 Roberts St, ☎ , fax: +61 8 9652 2724, e-mail: email@example.com. A range of beach side sleeping options from unpowered campsites to chalets. Useful facilities include BBQs, campers kitchen and a huge jumping pillow to keep the kids amused. $23-$165.