East Kolkata basically covers new growth areas on the eastern side of the metroplis and it is an area that is still growing. It houses the IT hub of Kolkata, shopping emporiums and amusement parks. Science City is a major attraction. Salt Lake Stadium is a major occasional crowd puller. Large number of hospitals attract patients from the metropolis and beyond. A number of new hotels have come up. It covers Rajarhat, Jyoti Basu Nagar, Bidhannagar and the areas around Eastern Metropolitan Bypass.
Numerous bus routes connect the area with other parts of the city.
Two new metro routes are under construction - the East-West Metro and the New Garia-Airport Metro. However, with funding limitations and land acquisition problems, such developments take years, if not decades.
The area is extensive and still developing. Cycle rickshaws are available for short trips wherever there is regular demand for it. Point-to-point auto rickshaw services are there but are not as extensive or frequent as in some other parts of the metropolis.
- Salt Lake Stadium. The stadium has the second largest non-auto racing capacity in the world and largest in the Indian sub-continent. It is currently used for football matches and athletics. The stadium was built in 1984 and holds 120,000 in a three-tier configuration.
- China Town (On Park Circus Connector, turn north near D.N.Dey Homeopathic College & Hospital at Topsia Bus Stand). It is the only Chinatown in India. The locality was once home to 20,000 ethnic Chinese, now the population has dropped to 2,000 or so. The traditional occupation of the Chinese community here had been working in the nearby tanning industry and the Chinese restaurants. The area is still noted for the Chinese restaurants where many people flock to taste traditional Chinese and Indian Chinese food. Once there were many opium dens in the area. That type of establishment is now illegal in India.
- International Bus Terminal, Karunamoyee. The Kolkata-Dhaka bus service operates from here.
- Milan Mela, JBS Haldane Avenue (Park Circus Connector). It is a permanent trade fair complex. Fairs of different kinds are held at regular intervals, including Kolkata Book Fair,
- Nicco Park, Salt Lake Sector IV, ☎ . , 66285509It is Disneyland for Kolkattans with its various adventure rides. Opened in 1991, Nicco Park is one of the biggest amusement parks in the country and has innovative entertainment for all age groups. This amusement park offers wholesome fun for children as well as adults and draws crowds from suburban Kolkata especially on the weekends.
- Nalban Boating Complex, ☎ . Adjoining Nicco Park, Nalban lake as the name suggests is mainly lakes and creeks (nal) fringed by groves (ban). It is a beautiful picnic spot for families, who would like to spend few hours in the lush greenery and placid lake. It is tucked away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Its unpolluted environment offers a respite and soothes the visitors.
- Aquatica Water Park, Kochpukur, P.O. Hatgachia, ☎ . , 933155522010AM to 6PM Open on all days. This theme water park offers visitors a cool respite from the heat and grime of city life. "With artificial waves buffeting you from all sides, tornadoes and dance floors, all ready to whip up a wet dream, Aquatica is the ultimate cool."
- Swabhumi Heritage Park. Here one can sample local arts and crafts as well as some of the food from its various stalls.
- Science City, At the junction of J.B.S. Haldane Avenue (Park Circus Connector) and Eastern Metropolitan Bypass. It is one of the most spectacular science centres in the country. The sheer enormity of the Science City baffles the first time visitor. On hindsight, one may say that the Science City is a befitting tribute to Kolkata's contribution to the world of Science.
- Innox (See films at City Centre II Rajarhat), 3rd Floor, ☎ .
- Bioscope (See films at Axis Mall). Four screens for films
- Fame - Hiland Park (Watch films).
- Club Prana (Spa), Hyatt Regency Kolkata Hotel, JA-1 Sector III, Salt Lake City, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- City Centre II Rajarhat.
- Axis Mall, Action Area 1C, Block CF, Plot No. 09, New Town, Rajarhat, ☎ . Shopping mall, restaurants, Bioscope multiplex with four screens
- Home Town, BG Block, Newtown, ☎ . One-stop destination for complete home-making solutions
- City Centre Salt Lake City, 3rd Avenue, DC Block, ☎ .
- Charnock City, KB 26 Salt Lake City, ☎ .
- Mani Square, 164/1, Manicktala Main Road (EM Bypass). It has more than 710,000 square feet (66,000 m2) of total area accommodating 250 outlets.
- Silver Spring Arcade, EM Bypass.
- Apsara Shopping Arcade (At the crossing of EM Bypass and Prince Anwar Shah connector).
- Metro Cash & Carry, 322 Mouza Barakhola, on EM Bypass. Wholesale market. One must be a registered card holder to buy things here in bulk.
- Hiland Park Metropolis Mall, EM Bypass Chak Garia. 175,000 sq ft mall.
- Upohar Town Centre (Attached to Upohar Housing Complex of Bengal Ambuja), New Garia (Near Kavi Subhas terminal metro station). Spencer's and other outlets.
City Centre II Rajarhat
- Massekah, B 215 2nd floor, Block B, ☎ . , 9051834932North Indian, Afghani cuisine. Drinks served.
- KFC, Ground Floor, Block C, ☎ . , 40278000American fast food. Drinks not served.
- The Orient, Ground Floor, ☎ . Chinese cuisine Drinks not served.
- Zion Lounge, Ground Floor, ☎ . Drinks not served.
- Mc Donald's, Unit A001, Block A, Ground Floor, ☎ . American fast food. Drinks not served.
- Gamma's World Cuisine, M 208, 2nd Floor, ☎ . International cuisine. Drinks served.
- Pizza Hut, Ground Floor, Block C, ☎ . Italian cuisine, desserts. Drinks not served.
- Kwality Wall Swirl's. Desserts
- Mehak-e-Punjab, 4th floor. 12 noon - 11PM. North Indian, Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Addiction, 4th floor, ☎ . North Indian, Chinese cuisine Drinks served..
- Calcutta Retro, 5th Floor, ☎ . 12:30AM - 10:30PM. Bengali cuisine. Drinks served.
- Aaheli, 4th floor, ☎ . , 12:30AM - 10:30PM. Bengali cuisine. Drinks served. Good environment, high price, indifferent service.
- Cafe Coffee Day, 2nd floor. 10:30AM to 11:30PM.
City Centre Salt Lake City
- Kaafila, 3rd Floor, Block B, ☎ . , 4006321112.30 - 3:15PM, 7 - 10:30PM. North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Afraa Restaurant, 7th Floor, Block G, ☎ . , 12.30 - 3PM, 7 - 11PM. Continental, Mediterranean, Italian and Japanese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Copper Chimney, 3rd Floor, Block C, ☎ . , 12 noon - 3:30PM, 7PM - 10:30PM. North Indian cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Haka, 2nd Floor, Block E, ☎ . , 2358144512 noon - 10PM. Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- KFC, 1st Floor, Block A, ☎ . , 4006328311AM - 11PM. American fast food. Drinks not served.
- Caught n Bowled, 4th Floor, Block B, ☎ . , 2358999312 noon - 3:30PM, 7 -10:45PM. Chinese, Continental and North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Pizza Hut, 1st Floor, Block A, ☎ . , 2358098511AM - 11PM. Italian, pizza, desserts. Drinks not served.
- Haka, 4th Floor, ☎ . , 2320245212 noon - 3:30PM, 6.30 - 11PM. Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Machan, 4th Floor, ☎ . , 2320218212 noon - 3:30PM, 6.30 - 11PM. North Indian, Mughlai cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Khandani Rajdhani Restaurant, 4th Floor, ☎ . , 2320283911:30AM - 3:30PM, 6.30 - 11PM. Rajasthani, Gujarati cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Flame & Grill, 4th Floor, ☎ . , 12.30 - 3:30PM, 6.30 - 11PM. North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Mio Amore, 4th Floor, ☎ . , 12.30 - 11PM. Mediterranean cuisine. Drinks served.
- Square 4o5, ☎ . , 11AM - 10:30PM. Continental, North Indian cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Mc Donald's, Ground Floor, ☎ . 11AM - 11PM. American fast food. Drinks not served.
- The Shack, 4th Floor, ☎ . 1 - 11PM. Goan cuisine. Drinks served.
- KFC, 3rd Floor, ☎ . , 11AM - 11PM. American fast food. Drinks not served.
Silver Spring Arcade
- Sigree, 1st Floor, ☎ . , 22517031North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Oh! Calcutta, 3rd Floor, ☎ . , 22517037Bengali cuisine, sea food. Drinks not served.
- Mainland China, 3rd Floor, ☎ . , 22517035Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Masque, 3rd Floor, ☎ . North Indian cuisine.Drinks served.
- Golden Joy, 50/1, Matherswar Tala Rd (Near Gobinda Khatick Post Office), ☎ . , Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Beijing Restaurant, 77/1, Christopher Road, Tangra, ☎ . , 23283998Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Kim Ling, 13, South Tangra Rd, ☎ . , 28650996Chinese cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Kafulok, 47, Govinda Khatick Rd, ☎ . , 23282288Chinese cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, 50/2, Matheswartala Rd, ☎ . , Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Big Boss, 54C Matheswartala Rd, ☎ . , 23290777Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Hiland Park Metropolis Mall. Has a ten outlet eatery.
- Charnock's, KB 26, Sector 3, Salt Lake City, ☎ . , 12 noon to 4PM, 7-30 to 10-30 pm. Continental, Bengali, North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Mishra's Bar & Restaurant, DG 1, Sector 2, Salt Lake City, ☎ . , 40091959AM to 11PM. Bar with good food arrangements. North Indian, South Indian, Continental, Chinese cuisine.
- Mishra's Bar & Restaurant, IB-157, Sector 3, Salt Lake City (Near Tank 14), ☎ +91 33 40669175 / 9171. 9AM to 11PM. Bar with good food arrangements. North Indian, South Indian, Continental, Chinese cuisine.
- Sun & Services, GC 35, Sector 3 Bidhannagar (Near GC Island), ☎ .
- Aquatic Palace, NP 222, Sector V, Salt Lake City, Krishnapur (Opposite Technopolis), ☎ .
- Step In, G6 Tagore, Ruby Park, Kasba (Near Ruby Hospital), ☎ .
Mukundapur has a number of hospitals - notably Dr. Devi Shetty's Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences, Medica, Vision Care of AMRI and Shankara Nethralaya.
- Debi Guest House, 175 Barakhola Mukundapur, Kalikapur, ☎ . , , 9831923007Rs. 500 per double-bedded non-AC room, Rs. 800 per double-bedded AC room.
- Uttam Guest House, 1563 Mukundapur Rd, ☎ . , Rs. 500-600 per double-bedded non-AC room, Rs. 800=900 per double-bedded AC room.
- Maa Tara Guest House, 175/1 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☎ . , 9903803612 , 9007304467Rs. 400-500 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Meghalaya Guest House, 138 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☎ . Rs. 300 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Arunadoy Guest House, 173/1 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☎ . , Rs. 250 per non-AC room.
- Ashirbad Guest House, 264 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☎ . , , 9477402645Rs. 300 per double-bedded room, Rs.350 per triple bedded room, all non-AC rooms.
Panchasayar is a quiet neighbourhood near Peerless Hospital
- Apanjan, 3 Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☎ . , 9836198199Around Rs. 200 per day/ non-AC room.
- Atithi, 7 Sonali Park, Panchasayar, ☎ . Rs. 250-350 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Maity Villa, 27 Sonali Park, Panchasayar, ☎ . Rs. 300-500 double-bedded non-AC room; Rs. 800-1200 for double-bedded AC room.
- Ricko, 22 Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☎ . Rs. 300-600 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Shib Bandhalay, 21 Shanti Park, Panchasayar. Rs. 400 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Bina Bhawan, 15A, Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☎ . , 987407250Rs. 300-350 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- NRI Residency, C.I.T Road, Kankurgachi (located close to Salt Lake and the EM Bypass), e-mail: info@NRIResidency.com. offers guesthouse style accommodation with clean and large AC rooms with US style private bathrooms. Rs 1050-1200.
- Alcove Guest House & Service Apartment, Block DL-39 , Salt Lake City (Close to CK Market.), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. All rooms with air-conditioning, TV, and private bathroom. Breakfast complimentary, free WiFI access. They also have guest houses at other locations in Salt Lake City and Kolkata - consult their website 2250 INR for serviced room.
- Next Generation Guest House, Plot No 255, Block AD, Sector 1, Salt Lake City, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- NIPS Serviced Apartments (Guest House), EC 98, Sector I, Salt Lake City, ☎ . Geared to meet the demands of IT sector employees for short or long stays
- Tiger Inn, 1686 Lashkrhat, Tagore Park (Block -1) Naskar Hat, Kasba (Near Calcutta International School and Fortis Hospital. Off EM Bypass), ☎ .
- Hotel Wild Orchid, 87 Ramhrishna Pally, Mukundapur, ☎ . , , Rs. 1200 onwards.
- Hyatt Regency, Eastern Metropolitan Bypass (in Salt Lake Sector III), ☎ , fax: +91 33 2335 1235.
- ITC Sonar Kolkata, 1 JBS Halden Ave (Next to Science City), ☎ , fax: +91 33 2345 4455.
- Hotel The Sojourn, Plot KB 23, Sector III, Salt Lake City (Beside of Salt Lake Stadium opposite Gate No 4), ☎ +91-(033)-2335-1462 (6 lines) / 2208 / 2209, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rs. 3450-4400.
- Indismart Hotel, International Tower X-1,8/3 Block EP, Salt Lake Electronics Complex, Sector-V, ☎ , , 4010 1350fax: +91 33 2357 7735, e-mail: email@example.com.
- The Sonnet, Block DD, Plot No. 8, Sector I, Salt Lake City, ☎ , fax: +91-33-66339001, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Stadel, Gate 3, Salt Lake Stadium, Sector 3, Salt Lake City, ☎ .
- Swissotel, City Centre New Town, Action Area 2 D, Plot No.11/5 ▪ New Town Rajarhat, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.