Kozhikode was the capital of Malabar during the time of Zamorins who ruled before the British arrival in India. It was a major port on the Maritime Silk Road trading in spices like black pepper and cardamom with the outside world with the Jews, Arabs, Phoenicians, and Chinese for centuries before Europeans arrived.
Portuguese were the first Europeans to find this land, the gateway to Kerala, famous for spices. This city is famous for receiving Vasco da Gama in 1498. He landed on the remote beach of Kappad which is 18 km away from the city. After that there was much trade with Portuguese and a bit later with the Dutch, British and French.
The English word calico, a cotton textile, originated from this city's name "Calicut".
- Kozhikode has an international airport and many Indian and international airlines have flights.
Direct trains are available to Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Thiruvananthapuram.
Buses are available to all South Indian cities.
Good roads connect Kozhikode to the rest of the country. Bangalore road is closed during night time.
Many places of attractions are near by one another so you could walk between them.
Kozhikode has an excellent local bus service system and it is cheap. Your first choice should be travelling by Bus. Be aware that the buses can travel at neck-breaking speeds, but they are fairly safe. Air Conditioned city buses are available from the Railway Station to the Airport and the University.
By auto rickshaw
This is cheap way of transport between attractions. Auto rickshaw in Calicut are the most honest and safest in India. They hold a reputation of being truthful and are charged right to the kilometer(using digital/analog meters) similar to the ones in Bombay (Mumbai) and Pune.
Local taxi are also available at good rates. Normally, taxis are not needed unless you plan to go way out of the city. If you want to move around in City, auto rickshaw and buses are good enough. Taxi usually charge a flat charge and do not operate on meter.
There are many rental companies offering cars with drivers or self-drive.
- Valiyangadi (Behind the Railway Station). Enjoy a walk in the ancient market.
- Beypore Port. One k.m. long walkway into the sea, Jankar service to the fishing village of Chaliyam.
- Wayanad Hills (Take a bus to Kalpetta). Beautiufl scenes on nine hairpin bends.
- Art Gallery. paintings of Raja Ravi Varma and Raja Raja Varma
- Conolly Canal. for boating
- Elathur. Beautiful riverside village.
- Planetorium, Near New Bus Stand.
- Bird Sanctuary, at Kadalundy 30 k.m..
- Kappad Beach. Vasco Da Gamma landed here in 1498 from Europe.
- Kirtads, Chevarambalam. Tribal Museum
- Kozhippara Waterfalls. for trekking and swimming
- Krishna Menon Museum, East Hill.
- Lions Park, Beach. rides for children
- Mananchira Pond (near the Railway Station). A sprawling park with many beautiful statues.
- Pazhassiraja Museum. Copies of megalithic monuments.
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam. Boating facilities, birds sanctuary, crocodile farm.
- Tali Temple, Palayam. Very ancient temple near a pond
- Tusharagiri. for trekking, with waterfall inside evergreen dense forests
- Vellari Mala. waterfalls, velvet green landscapes, place for trekking.
- Chaliyam. Fishing village, lighthouse, jankar service.
- Elamaram Jetty. Ferry service across River Chaliyar for only Rs.5 per head. Take a bus to Mavoor. Get down at Elamaram jetty. Cross the river and come back the same route.
- Thangal Kubba, Kondotty. Location of an ancient festival called The Kondotty Nercha.
- Arimbra Hills, Near Kondotty (Ask for 'Mini Ooty'). Trekking to a mountain 1,000 metres above sea level.
- Rock Climbing, Kakkayam village.
- Walking by the Sea, at Calicut Beach, very crowded place..
- Eat the Halwa, near the Palayam Bus Stand.
- Stroll in the Mitayi Theruvu, Near the Railway Station. Very crowded and famous market.
- South Beach Stroll. Start from the Gujarathi Street. Very peaceful walk by the sea. Many ancient buildings. Walk upto 'Francis Road Flyover'.
Water pipe enthusiasts should look out for the Koyilandy Hookah, made in the nearby town of Koyilandy. Preparation of an average hookah requires up to 1.5 kg of copper, 1.5 kg of zinc and half kg silver. It takes a week to prepare a Hookah.Available in different sizes (12 to 24 inches), these Hookah are sold anywhere around rupees 500 to 1500. Specially crafted Hookah come at rupees 15,000.
To procure one of these, you may contact the Kozhikode District Handicrafts Artisans Co-operative society. They have several pieces ready and can polish it and sell it to you within an hour. These range from Rs. 1200 to Rs. 2500 depending on the size. They can also ship it to you in India at a price(not sure if they have international shipping). Their contact number is +91 496-2623151.
- Pai and Company, Near the Railway Station. Old bookstall
- Touring Book Stall, Muthalakkulam. Books, gifts and toys. Very spacious showroom in four stories.
Malabar cuisine is quite popular among gourmands. The mild flavored, gently cooked Malabar Biriyani are a must eat when visiting Calicut.
- Gates Restaurant, Malabar Gate Hotel (Ram Mohan Road), ☎ . 0730 - 2230. Serving buffet breakfast, À la carte lunch, and dinner. During Ramzan, an Ifthar buffet is also available.
- Paragon Restaurant, near railway station. Famous for mutton biriyani.
- Sana Restaurant, Devagiri College Road, Near Medical College..
- Indian Coffee House, Branches at Palayam, Mavoor Road and Medical College..
- Pure South Restaurant, Branches at Medical College and Bypass Road. Kerala Lunch. Rs. 60.
Several low-end bars can be found in Kozhikode.
- Amrutha, Mavoor Road, near Poothiya (New) Bus Stand.
- Hotel Sasthapuri, M.M. Ali Road, near Palayam Bus Stand. Sasthapuri has a roof garden which opens from 5PM and is the only decent place (other than Sea Queen) that allows you to smoke while seated.
- Park Residency
- Sea Queen, Beach Road. Has a separate smoking area and is the one of the only decent places that lets you smoke while seated.
- The Captain's Cabin in Fortune Hotel, Kannur Road, +91 11-45566666.
- The Gateway Hotel (formerly known as Taj Residency, Calicut), P.T.Usha Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Kadavu Resorts, N.H Bye Pass Road, Calicut.
- Hibra Lodge, Kamath Jewellery Road, near Railway Station, ☎ 2701293. Rs.200.
- Imperial Lodge, Palayam, ☎ 04952701293. British building. Indian Coffee House inside. Rs.200.
- Arya Bhavan Lodge, ☎ 04952720746. Rs.300.
- Komal Lodge, ☎ 04952703932. Rs.300.
- Midtown Lodge, ☎ 04952722077. Rs.300.
- Hotel Marwa, ☎ 04952700109. Rs. 400.
- N.C.K.Lodge, Mavoor Road, ☎ 04952723530. Rs.400.
- Safa Lodge, Near New Bus Stand, ☎ 04952725730. Rs. 400.
- Saudi Lodge, ☎ 04952722826. Rs. 400.
- Srinivas Lodge, ☎ 04952722451. Rs. 400.
- Sasthapuri Lodge, ☎ 04952723281. Rs.500.
- Western Lodge, ☎ 04952722752. Rs. 500.
- Citizen Lodge, ☎ 04952722352. Rs. 600.
- Udupi Lodge, ☎ 04952722901. Rs. 600.
- Hotel White Castle, ☎ 04952721124. Rs. 600.
- Hotel Gulf Star, ☎ 04952727018. Rs. 600.
- Metro Tourist Home, Mavoor Road, ☎ 04952766029. Rs. 600.
- Asha Lodge, ☎ 04952725002. Rs. 700.
- Aradhana Tourist Home, Near Railway Station, ☎ 04952302021. Indian Coffee House inside. Rs. 800.
- Homlet Hotel, ☎ 04952727535. Rs. 800.
- Hotel Rennaissance, ☎ 04952722339. Rs. 800.
- Hotel Royal Palace, ☎ 04952701610. Rs. 800.
- Hotel Apex Inn, Opp. Tagore Cent Hall, Red Cross Road near League House, ☎ 04952360555. Rs. 500.
- Easwari Lodge, Near Beach Hospital, P.T.Usha Road, ☎ 04952369039. , 9447137177Rs. 300.
- Jaya Lodge, Tali, ☎ 04952701557. , 04952702286Rs. 500.
- Hotel Nalanda, Near the Town Hall, ☎ 04952366169. Rs. 340.
- Hotel Select Residency, Near Railway Station, Oyitti Road, ☎ 04952725525. Rs. 550.
- Shanthi Tourist Home, Tali, ☎ 04952702246 8089624022 8592022669. Rs.200.
- Hotel Sea Queen, Beach Road, ☎ 04952366604. , 04952366804 , 04952361710Mr. Sinu, Manager
- Metro Towers, Behind Arya Vaidya Shala. Rs.300 for single rooms, Rs. 170 for dormitories, Rs. 1,500 for suite..
- Hotel Calicut Tower, Opp New Bus Stand, ☎ 04952723202, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rs. 1,500.
- Hotel Maharani, Taluk Road, Puthiyara, Calicut 4.
- Hotel Span Calicut, Jail Road, Calicut 4.
- WelcomHotel Raviz Kadavu, Resort and Ayurveda Spa, NH 17, Calicut Bypass Road , Azhinjilam P.O. Malappuram District, ☎ , e-mail: , 027WelcomHotelRavizKadavu@itchotels.in.
- The Gateway Hotel (formerly Taj Residency), P.T.Usha Road, Calicut, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hotel West Way, West Nadakkavu, ☎ 04952768888. Rs.4,200.
- Palakkad – a number of tourist attractions such as the Malampuzha gardens; 140 km away by road
- Ramanattukara – a quickly developing village-town 16 km south of Calicut city, serving more and more as a suburb of Calicut
- Vadagara – a city on the Kuttiyadi river, famous 1500 year old Lokanarkavu Bhagavathi Temple, rock cut caves with murals and carvings
- Wayanad District – famous for scenic locations is nearby with District Headquarters Kalpetta 68 km away and Sulthan Bathery 90 km away