The earliest records of Kuressaare is a document written in 1381 that mentions that the town housed the fortified residency of a local Catholic bishop and that it was the main center for the islands of western Estonia. Kuressaare was previously known as Arensburg, and it received city status in 1563. Currently, the town has a population of around 15,000.
- Tourist Information Centre, Tallinna 2, ☎ , fax: +372 453 31 20, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kuressaare Airport (IATA: URE) is situated 3 km from the town of Kuressaare and offers regular flights to Ruhnu island, Stockholm and Tallinn.
Several buses run daily between Kuressaare and Tallinn's main bus station. The trip takes 4 hours and traverses the strait between the mainland and the islands by means of a 30-minute ferry.
- Saaremaa Museum (Kuressaare Castle). May–Aug daily 10:00–19:00, Sep–Apr W–Su 11:00–18:00. The fortress is well preserved and located in the city center. 5 euro.
- Health spas. The city has a large number of spas.
- Restaurant La Perla, Lossi 3, ☎ . M-F 12-23, Sa-Su 13-23. Italian restaurant
- Cafe Kessu, Tallinna 16 (email@example.com). M-F 8-19, Sa 9-19, Su 10-18.
- Bar Kodulinna, Tallinna 11.
- Club Diva, Raekoja 8.
- Nightclub Privilege, Tallinna 10a.
- Saaremaa Spa Hotels: Meri, Ruutli & Saaremaa Valss. Three Spa hotels in the town.
- Pärnu, the summer capital of Estonia.