Welsh language and culture continues to thrive in Lampeter. The town is best known for the University of Wales, Trinity Saint David (formerly University of Wales, Lampeter and before that St David's University College), originally founded in 1822 as a theological college. Its central building is modelled on an Oxbridge quadrangle and was completed in 1827. Lampeter University is the third oldest university in Britain, after Oxford and Cambridge.
The earliest written reference to Lampeter is believed to be 1187, when Owain Gwynedd destroyed the English king's castle of Pont Steffan ('Stephen's Bridge' in Welsh). The castle's remains later formed the foundations for the college building and still forms part of the university campus.
- From London (Paddington Station), train to Carmarthen (a few trains are direct, but generally will need to change in Swansea). Bus from Carmarthen to Lampeter. There is only one bus each way on a Sunday and the last bus leaves Carmarthen at 8PM on a weekday. The bus to catch is the X40 service operated jointly by the Arriva and First bus companies. It stops outside Carmarthen Railway Station.
- From Birmingham (New Street Station), catch train to Aberystwyth then catch bus from Aberystwyth to Lampeter (Arriva or First route X40).
Train times are available from National Rail Enquiries, telephone 08457 484950 from within the UK. Bus times are available from Traveline, telephone 0871 200 22 33 (premium rate and can not be dialled from many countries outside the UK).
Since the closure of Lampeter's train station a number of years ago, travel options in and around Lampeter are restricted to buses and taxis. Buses are reliable though fairly irregular, and go to the nearby towns of Aberystwyth and Carmarthen. Lampeter is a small town; vehicles are not necessary to explore the town itself, only to travel to other towns and cities.
- University of Wales, Trinity St David.
- St Peter's Church of Wales, Maesllan (In Lampeter town, at the top of the hill opposite the police station.), ☎ .
- Dolaucothi Gold Mines, Pumsaint, Llanwrda, Carmarthenshire, SA19 8US (9 miles south east of Lampeter), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Lampeter Museum (Amgueddfa Llambedr Pont Steffan), Lampeter Museum, College Street, Lampeter, Ceredigion, SA48 7ED. (Just inside the university, across from the old Post Office). Lampeter's local history museum, opened in 2014. Friendly and knowledgeable staff and a range of interesting exhibits. Will reopen for the summer on the 3rd of March. Free.
- Lampeter Food Festival: 25 July 2015 , Lampeter Uni. last Saturday in July annually. Local food producers from cheese makers to cider makers enjoying networking and sharing produce. Free entry.
- Liberal arts at the University of Wales, Lampeter.
- Denmark Farm Conservation Centre. Conservation and Ecology Courses
- Conti's Café, 5 Harford Square, ☎ . Home-made and additive free ice cream and specialist coffee shop. Home made food and light lunches, family owned and run for the last 40 years.
- Dai's Diner, 11 Bridge St (Located on the main road in the centre of town), ☎ . Dai's Diner is a friendly little cafe serving meals and snacks all day from breakfast.
- Shapla Tandoori, 8 College Street, ☎ . Indian restaurant. Take-away available.
- Town Hall Cafe Deli, Town Hal (In the centre of Lampeter near NatWest Bank), ☎ . Mon - Sat : 09:00 - 16:00. Café and deli specialising in local food and drink produce.
- The Mustard Seed, College Street. 10am - 4pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat. Lovely café with home made cakes and food, good coffee, good range of gluten free cake, bread and Welsh cakes. Clean and comfortable. Good toilets and plenty of room inside and on the patio weather permitting.
- Denmark Farm Eco-Lodge (Denmark Farm Conservation Centre), Betws Bledrws, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Haulfan Guest House, 6 Station Terrace (Adjacent to the University and close to the town centre), ☎ . A guest house with Three double and 1 single rooms.
- Treberfedd Farm Holiday Cottages, Treberfedd, Dihewyd, Lampeter, Ceredigion SA48 7NW, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Self catering holiday cottages (including grade II listed thatched farmhouse) on a working organic farm near Lampeter. 2 nights from £159.
- The Falcondale hotel and restaurant (Falcondale Mansion), Falcondale Drive (about a mile out of town, up its own private drive), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: from 3pm, check-out: after 11am. A Country House Hotel in 14 acres of grounds, including lawns, woodland and gardens. Built in an Italianate style in the 19th Century as a private house, and converted to a hotel in 1980. All 18 rooms are en-suite with free wifi internet access. A 2AA rosetted restaurant is open to non-residents. from £150 bed and breakfast, for two people sharing.