According to the 2000 Philippines Census, about 60% of the population of Leyte province speak Cebuano/Bisaya. About 40% of the population speak Waray. Most of the people in the capital city, Tacloban, speak Waray.
Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport is the main gateway to the province and the entire region of Eastern Visayas including the provinces of Samar (Western), Eastern Samar and Southern Leyte. There are four airlines connecting the provincial capital Tacloban City to Manila and Cebu City. The following airlines have daily flights to Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport:
- Cebu Pacific Air - Manila 4x, Cebu 1x
- Philippine Airlines/PAL Express - Manila 3x, Cebu 2x
- Air Asia - Manila 2x Tiger Air Manila 1x
These airlines have international flight connections through Manila Davao and Cebu to cities in Southeast Asia such as Singapore, Bangkok, Jakarta, Ho Chi Minh, Kuala Lumpur and to cities in Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and China including Macau and Hong Kong.
- The San Juanico Bridge, which connects Leyte with the neighboring island of Samar, is well over 2 km long.
- The Oriental Leyte, Baras, Palo, ☎ . A/C suites equipped with cable TV, Wireless Internet access, IDD and NDD phone, mini-bar, private toilet and bath. Some of its facilities and services are infinity pool, fitness room/gym, spa, massage service, meeting venues, laundry service, room service, airport transfer and tour/travel services. From PHP 4,500.00.