Luleå, also called Lule, is the seat of Norrbotten County in northern Sweden. The city is located at the mouth of the Lule River, in the north—west corner of the Gulf of Bothnia. It has about 70,000 inhabitants, a technical university, and a steel mill.
Both SAS and Norwegian have several flights per day scheduled from Stockholm Arlanda airport to Lulea airport (fewer during weekends), and with a flight time of about 1 hour 10 minutes it may be preferred over the 14 hour night train.
The airport is in Kallax (and thus is commonly called Kallax airport), and lies about 5 km from Luleå city centre, which is accessible via shuttle bus or taxi. The shuttle bus to the center costs 50 SEK each way, and it's departures are based on the flight schedule.
There are as well scheduled flights to Kiruna/Tromsø (Nordkalottflyg), Pajala (Nordkalottflyg), Umeå/Östersund (Nordic Regional), Gothenburg (City Airline), Sundsvall/Borlänge (Direktflyg), London (one flight every Saturday, SAS), Riga (AirBaltic) and Murmansk/Archangelsk (Archangelsk Airlines).
Luleå is connected to Stockholm by the over 100 year old Norra Stambanan-rail, which travels way into the inner parts of northern Sweden before meeting the coast again at Gävle. Thus, it can be a good price option between Lulea and the southern parts (from Gävle and south) of the country, but not between Lulea and some of the other larger cities (i.e. Umea, Skelleftea, Sundsvall) along the coastline in the northern half of the country. All along the northern coast, bus is the way to travel.
SJ have a few passenger trains scheduled each night between Lulea and Stockholm and Gothenburg. Stockholm is about a 14 hour train, and Gothenburg is over 18 hours; consider paying extra for a bed while booking.
The Malmbanan railway goes to Narvik in Norway via the towns of Boden, Gällivare and Kiruna. Note that the railway ends in Narvik and does not provide a link to the rest of the Norwegian rail network.
The gap in the rail network between Finland and Sweden is covered by buses, which are free with most rail passes. The journey to the Finnish border at Tornio/Haparanda takes 2.5h, and onward to the Finnish railhead at Kemi another half hour.
A fast, cheap and comfortable way of getting to the different parts of the city, is by using the local bus traffic (LLT). Local buses are usually 20 SEK per trip. If you plan on making more than 4 trips, buy a 3-day tourist pass from the tourist office, which allows you unlimited travel on local buses for 80 SEK.
At weekends you should be able to catch a night-bus from most local traffic bus stations about once every hour between 0.00 and 3.00, at a raised cost.
The Luleå archipelago is worth a trip. The archipelago is available through tour boats during the summer. Klubbviken at the island Sandön is a pleasant stop with a nice beach.
Gammelstad is the old church village. It is a part of our national heritage and is originally the main city. Due to the land rising (the land was pushed down during the last icetime) its harbour got unusable and the new city was established nearer the sea. The church was made in 1492. Same year as Columbus discovered America.
Luleå tekniska universitet (Luleå University of Technology, LTU)  was established in 1971. Its faculties now include Engineering, Computer Science, Music, Wood Technology, Business, Mining and Space Science. It can be reached with buses 4, 5 and 8 in the direction of Porsön.
Shopping, Europe´s first indoor shopping mall is in the town centre.
Club Cleo  and STUK  are popular late-night dance clubs, with the former being located in the city center (next to the Quality Hotel) and the latter on the campus of LTU. You need a student ID or a special "guest ticket" (which can be purchased by LTU students) to get into STUK. Quality Hotel guests get free entrance to Cleo until midnight.
- Grace Nightclub and Bar (Grace Nattklubb). Is located behind the Elite Stadshotellet in downtown Lulea. During the summer, it is a popular hangout, featuring three bars and two dancefloors. The entrance fee is 80 kronor.
- Luleå Vandrarhem & Mini Hotell, Sandviksgatan 26, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Double: kr 390, Single: kr 270, Dorm: kr 170, Bed linen: kr 75.
- First Camp Lulea. Cottages and camping, big pool area, restaurants and cafe.
- City Sleep, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Clean and minimal but comfortable cheap accommodation in the centre of town. From kr 450.
- Gammelstads kyrkstad (Gammelstad Church Town) is a UNESCO World Heritage Site about 10 km north west of Luleå, on a former small island in the delta of the Lule River. At its centre is an early 15th century stone church surrounded by 408 cottages. The town was built to house church visitors from the surrounding countryside, who lived too far away to get back home before nightfall. It can be reach by local bus.
|Routes through Luleå|
|Stockholm ← Sundsvall ←||W E||→ Haparanda → Tornio|
|Narvik ← Gällivare ←||W E||→ END|