For tourist information see: The Lyme Regis Official Tourist Information Guide .
Lyme Regis is an historic unspoiled seaside resort and fishing port on the world famous Cobb harbour. Surrounded by beautiful coastlines and countryside, the area has now been awarded World Heritage Site Status; famous for its geology and fossil finds.
The town is famous for "The Cobb", a large harbour wall, that has featured in novels by Jane Austen (who was a frequent visitor to Lyme Regis). The Cobb was used as a setting for Persuasion, a film of Jane Austen's novel. The Cobb was also used in the film The French Lieutenant's Woman, starring Meryl Streep, based on the book of the same name by local writer John Fowles.
- Trains: The nearest train station is Axminster, which is on the route from Waterloo to Exeter.
- Buses: There is also a good bus service along the Jurassic Coast. Bus companies that run through Lyme Regis are......
One very good way to get around is to walk. Lyme Regis is on the South West Coast path and there are many circular routes from and around Lyme Regis.
- The Cobb: a large harbour wall, that has featured in novels by Jane Austen (who lived for a time in Lyme Regis) and in the film The French Lieutenant's Woman, based on the book of the same name by local writer John Fowles.
- Philpot Museum: , admission adults £2, concessions £1.50, children with adult free
- Fossil hunting in front of the cliffs by the beach. There are lots of fossilised ammonites in the sediment layers in the cliffs, and as weathering occurs, the cliffs are eroded and the fossils are left on the beach. The best time to go hunting is in Spring, when the winter's storms have exposed many fossils. Most are small, some are the size of your palm, and one or two are surprisingly large--up to a metre in diameter!
- Crazy Golf in Langmoor Gardens overlooking the Promenade.
- Relax on the Beach where you get fantastic views of England's first natural World Heritage Site - the Jurassic Coast.
Fish on the Cobb. Crab fishing equipment for fishing off the Cobb
- There are lots of restaurants in Lyme Regis but none that have really made a great impression.
- There are also a few fish and chip shops.
- River Cottage (Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall) is opening a restaurant in Axminster about 5 miles from Lyme Regis .
- The Nag's Head
- The Volunteer
- The Pilot Boat
- The Cobb Arms
- The Ship Inn
- The Harbour
- The Rock Point
- The Standard
Hotels with bars
- The Royal Lion
- The Mariners
Restaurants with bars
- Lyme Bay Kitchen and Bar
- Purple Parsnip
- The Cobb Arms, just next to the harbour, three nice and clean rooms, modern bathroom, double £60.00
- Springfield House, Woodmead Road, DT7 3LJ, ☎ 01297 443409. A warm welcome awaits at this large elegant Georgian House with stunning views of the sea and Dorset coastline. Close to all amenities. Private car park. Room rates £33 - £38