Macclesfield is a market town in Cheshire.
Macclesfield is on the main train line between London and Manchester and is easily accessed from both by high speed trains (Manchester 20 minutes, London 1 hour 45 minutes). Some Cross Country services between Manchester and Birmingham also call at Macclesfield. Local stopping services are available to Manchester and Stoke-on-Trent. The train station is located in the town centre, just to the east of the main shopping area.
By road, the nearest motorway is the M6. From the north, take Junction 19, and travel through Knutsford. From the south, use Junction 17 and follow the signs for Congleton until Macclesfield is signposted. In either direction, the distance from the motorway is about 15 miles. From the east, the main road into the town is the A537 from Buxton, known as the Cat and Fiddle road after the pub at its summit. It is a scenic route, but in winter it is occasionally impassable.
Manchester Airport is 12 miles away. By taxi the fare is typically about £25 if pre-booked.
The town centre is easily traversable by foot. Buses to suburbs and nearby towns depart from the bus station on Queen Victoria Street. From the train station go up the hill and follow the road to the left.
- The 108 Steps, stairs running from east of St. Michael's down to Waters Green.
- Macclesfield Town F.C., Moss Rose Stadium, London Road SK11 7SP (on main A523 road 1 mile south of town centre), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Macclesfield Town play in the Conference National, the fifth tier of English football. Adult seats £18 (matchday price).
- The Swan with Two Necks, 65 Chestergate. 12:00 - 01:00. A warm and welcoming pub with drinks at decent prices (cheaper than the other pubs in Macclesfield but have a much wider range of drinks). Live bands play nearly every weekend and the music ranges from Indie to Metal to Tribute bands.
- Chadwick House Hotel, Beech Lane. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. B&B style guesthouse close to the town centre. £38-59.
- Mottram Hall, Blackhurst Brow, Mottram St Andrew. Decadent 18th Century country house, 6 miles north-west of the town. £80-195.
- Premier Inn Macclesfield South West, Congleton Rd. Budget chain hotel on the outskirts of town. £34-76.
- Travelodge Macclesfield Central, Gas Rd. Macclesfield branch of the budget hotel chain. Opposite the train station. £15-55.