Maleny is a town in Queensland's Sunshine Coast hinterland, in the Blackall Ranges, approximately 100 km north of Brisbane, near the amazingly unique volcanic Glass House Mountains. Its population is about 5,000 people. Known as a very alternative centre for many years, it still retains much of its original identity as a country town in a dairy farming district. Maleny is an arts and craft hotbed and is home to many nationally recognised artists and art galleries. It is also a centre for eco tourism and cooperative enterprises. Nearby Montville is a tourist attaction in its own right.
Maleny is a mixture of elements. You will encounter both old-time hippies and salt-of-the-earth farmers, newly arrived urban professionals and long-time locals. However, there's still relatively little 'multi-culturalism' of the kind that you'll find in Brisbane or Noosa.
No-one seems to know the exact name of the Aboriginal people who were living in the Maleny area before the arrival of Europeans. They have been called the Bonyi Bonyi, Gubbi Gubbi or Kabi Kabi, and they gathered the area's famous bunya nuts. In their time the whole Maleny area, indeed the whole Blackall Ranges, was covered with rainforest.
The German explorer Ludwig Leichhardt first visited the area around the 1840s, after which it was settled by timber industry workers. (Maleny's streets are still named after types of trees.) The first selection of land at the present site of Maleny was made by one Isaac Burgess in 1878. Dairy and beef cattle were the next important industry, encouraged by Maleny's (usually) good rainfall and rich soil.
The origin of the town's name remains a mystery. One guess is that it's a misspelt version of Malleny in Scotland.
The easiest way into Maleny is by road via the town of Landsborough, from either south or north.
From Brisbane go over the Gateway Bridge and through the toll leading north onto the Bruce Highway. Follow the signs to the Sunshine Coast. After 10 km take the Glass House Mountains exit on the left (look for the big brown sign mentioning Beerburrum, Maleny and Landsborough). Then watch for the signs for Maleny as you transit Landsborough and begin the climb up a steep road into the Blackall Ranges towards Maleny, Montville and Mapleton. Be aware that the Sunshine Coast is a popular weekend getaway for Brisbanites, so expect a slightly longer drive in this direction on a Friday afternoon. You will also have to pay the toll on the Gateway Bridge as you leave south Brisbane.
The nearest and most convenient airport (about a 35 min drive from Maleny) is the Sunshine Coast Airport (IATA: MCY), it is sometimes called Maroochydore Airport.  at Marcoola, near Maroochydore. ☎ +61 7 5453 1500.
- Airlink Transfers provides a door to door transfer service from the Sunshine Coast Airport to Maleny.
Maleny is spread out over a fairly large area. You'll need a car to enjoy your stay here.
- Range Taxi Service ☎ + 61 1418 711 989 (mobile) 24 hr.
- Book Farm, The, 330 Reesville Road, ☎ . Educational ecotourism centre, catering for school groups. Workshops, seminars, rainforest setting.
- Crystal Waters Ecovillage, 65 Kilcoy Lane, ☎ . More than 20 km outside the main centre of Maleny, in Conondale. Famous intentional community started in 1987. A permaculture village working toward a balanced natural ecology. 200 permanent residents. Regular markets (1st Saturday of each month), festivals, workshops and permaculture training courses. Campground, bunkhouses and cabins for visitors. Tours available.
- Howells Knob Lookout, Reeseville Road (off Maleny-Kenilworth Road), one of the highest points in the Maleny area, with good views of the Glasshouse Mountains and islands off the coast.
- Maleny Light Horse Museum, ☎ . Maleny RSL Club at Bunya Street. Commemorates the traditions and skills of the Queensland Mounted Infantry (which were part of the Queensland Police Force) and the Australian Light Horse, a military force noted for its contribution to the Boer War and World War I. Open Sundays, ANZAC Day, Australia Day, Remembrance Day and by appointment.
- Maleny Mountain Vinery, ☎ . 787 Landsborough-Maleny Road. Tours, wine and cheese tasting, homemade bread, barbecue facilities and excellent views.
- Research Centre at Barung Landcare, 17 Bicentenary Lane, ☎ . Very active volunteer group in the Maleny community, working to ensure the sustainability of the natural resources of the region for the future. Also operates a nursery.
National parks and recreation areas
- Beerburrum and Beerwah State Forests and Forest Reserves are all nearby, within 1 hr drive.
- Kenilworth State Forest. About a 40 min drive from Maleny. Rainforest and eucalypt forest. Camping in various areas. ☎ 13 13 04 for permits and information.
- Kondalilla National Park, ☎ . On Western Avenue about 4 km north of the centre of nearby Montville, about a 0.5 hr drive from Maleny. 327 hectares of lush subtropical rainforest and tall open forest plus the striking Kondalilla Falls dropping 90 m from Skene Creek into picturesque water pools below. Parking area, picnic facilties, barbecues, shelter sheds, toilets, a lookout and three walking trails. No fresh water available. Can become quite crowded during peak holiday periods.
- Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve, ☎ . Corner of Landsborough-Maleny Road and Mountain View Road. Open daily. Well worth a visit to the 52 hectares of natural sub tropical rainforest and walking trails include many varieties of native fauna and flora, such as the pygmy mouse, possums, pademelons, wallabies, gliders, bandicoots, echidnae, bearded dragons, and a great many types of birds. Picnic tables, barbecue facilities, children's playground, toilets, a kiosk, a ranger in attendance. At the entrance is the Thynne Natural History Education Centre. Nice views over the Glasshouse mountains. Tours available.
- Witta Look Out, 460 Maleny-Kenilworth Road Witta (7 km from Maleny). Opposite Gumland Drive, overlooking the Conondale Valley with Mary Valley and Conondale Ranges in the western distance. Great place at sunrise to catch the spectacular dawn colours across the ranges and the spectacular sunset views.
- Animal Farm at Maleny, 366 Reesville Road, ☎ . Visit a working farm and milk cows and goats, collect eggs, feed farm animals, ride tractors and ponies. Caters for school groups. Accommodation also available in motel units & 12 cabins. Swimming pool, dams, rainforest walk.
- Australia Zoo, ☎ . In nearby Beerwah, at the foot of the Glass House Mountains about 35 min from Maleny. Run by the family of the late, ecologist and entertainer Steve Irwin, 'the Crocodile Hunter.'
- Baroon Pocket Dam and Lake Baroon, Baroon Pocket Road (Of North Maleny Road). A popular scenic location for picnicking, swimming, fishing, sailing and canoeing. Viewing platform near the spillway, with barbecues and toilets. Bushwalks through rainforests and Obi Obi Gorge.
- Buderim Ginger Factory, 50 Pioneer Road, ☎ . Yandina, about a 45 min drive from Maleny. Unusual (free) theme park based on ginger. Cane Train through rainforest and various rides and features to entertain children. Claims to be biggest selection of ginger products anywhere in the world. Cafe for meals & snacks.
- Eumundi Markets, ☎ . In the town of Eumundi, 20 km west of Noosa, about a 40 min drive from Maleny. One of Queensland's leading tourist attractions since 1979, held every Saturday and Wednesday. Arts, crafts, music, street entertainers, food, atmosphere.
- Maleny Community Centre, ☎ . Maple Street right in the centre of town. Movies, plays, weekly Sunday markets, annual May Maleny Arts and Crafts Fair and many other activities. Information centre open daily
- Maleny Dairy Tours, ☎ . 70 McCarthy's Road. Tours Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. Appointment necessary.
- Mystic Mountain Tours, ☎ . 5 Glasshouse Parade. Various tours of the Blackall Ranges, Saturdays, Sundays or by appointment. Known for Winery and Gourmet Foods Tours. Free pick-up in Brisbane for groups of 12 or more.
- Mary Valley Rattler, ☎ . Tozer Street, Gympie. Steam Locomotive Scenic Tours operated from Gympie, slightly more than 1 hr drive north of Maleny. The Mary Valley Heritage Railway runs steam, railmotor and diesel passenger tours on the Mary Valley Line of Queensland Rail as a non profit venture, owned and operated by the local community.
- Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk. A 58 km walk through the Blackall Ranges, starting from Lake Baroon near Montville. Subtropical rainforest, tall open eucalypt forest and picturesque waterfalls. Entire walk takes 4-6 days. ☎ 13 13 04 to book campsites, which have water, toilets and platforms.
- Woodford Folk Festival. In nearby Woodford, is a very famous annual musical event, held in late December. (It began in Maleny but moved to Woodford some years ago.)
The main street of Maleny, Maple Street, has a number of interesting shops and galleries.
- Art on Cairncross, 3 Panorama Place, Cairncross Corner, Maleny, ☎ . Fine arts, ceramics, glass and sculpture
- 3's Company, 128-130 Main Street (Maleny-Montville Road), ☎ . Unique timber slab furniture.
- Barung Landcare Nursery, 17 Bicentenary Lane, ☎ . Volunteer ecological activity. All proceeds benefit protection & restoration of the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for the community. Open Monday through Saturday.
- Bohemian Dreams, 11 Coral Street, ☎ . Just off Maple Street. Coffee shop plus homewares, jewellery and gifts.
- David Linton Furniture & Timber Works, 14 Maple Street, ☎ . Handcrafted homewares, furniture, sculptures, jewelry, artwork, glassware and timberwork.
- Glasshouse Pottery, 15 Bunya Street, ☎ .
- Maleny Art Supplies, ☎ . 38a Coral Street.
- Maleny Bookshop, ☎ . Maple Street. Used, out of print and unusual books.
- Maleny Fine Arts, ☎ . 1A Tulip Street. Exhibition and sale of quality and contemporary fine arts.
- 'Holden Gallery , Coral Street. ☎ +61 7 5494 2100. Framing artwork, needlework, photographs, certificates, medals and memorabilia
- Peace of Green, 38 Maple Street, ☎ . Open daily.
- Piece of Me, 50 Maple Street, ☎ . Locally designed clothing range, using natural fibres, plus jewellery, natural body care products, yoga clothing and yoga accessories
- Randy DeGraw Fine Art Furniture, ☎ . 475 Maleny-Kenilworth Tourist Drive, at Witta, about 7 km from Maleny. Handmade home and office furniture, make to order fine furniture.
- Rosetta Books, ☎ . At Maple Street. New books and coffee.
- Tree Frog Gallery, 56 Montville Road, ☎ . Australian indigenous art, contemporary paintings, sculpture, landscapes, ceramics, jewelry, furniture and craft.
- Maleny Handicrafts Market, at the Maleny RSL Hall. Local handicrafts market held every Sunday.
- Maleny Village Bazaar, Maple street Maleny (Main street through Nursery), ☎ . Revamped retro fashion, beaded & embroidered jeans, unique homewares, stylish sunnies, recycled art, music paraphenalia, gadgets, gizmos, hemp and bamboo t-shirts, massage, antiques & collectables, healing, readings, handmade craft, exotic jewellery, art gallery, mens clothes, gifts, crystals, semi precious stones and e~bling. Friendly atmosphere.
- Imeldas on Maple, 50 Maple St, Maleny (Next to Cooke Park), ☎ . Footwear and accessories.
Spas, beauty salons, retreats, massage and alternative health providers
- Samani's Hair and Nail Salon, 1 Gumland Drive Witta (7 km from Maleny), ☎ . Hair fashions by Sam and her team. Tuesday-Saturday book early.
- Middle Path Awareness Sanctuary, 12 Lawrence Place, ☎ . Natural health treatments, including iridology, 1 day detox, colonic irrigation, naturopathy, hypnotherapy, iris interpretation, plus workshops and seminars.
- Golden Pathways to Harmony, 329 Maleny Stanley River Rd, ☎ . Overlooking the Glasshouse Mountains. Training programs including aromatherapy, meditation, face reading, deep muscle therapy. Art studio and gallery, recording studio, Sacred creative studio, Tesla inspired innovational technologies, Ezy-Grow gardening systems, agent for the Quantum alliance and a small retail section stocking Young Living essential oils, books, crystals, CDs and Crystal Tones alchemy bowls. Open by prior appointment only.
- Visions of Maleny, 45 Maple Street, ☎ . Hair and day spa beauty treatments plus spraytanning.
- Worldview Centre, ☎ . By appointment only. Residential retreat centre providing personal development programs for individuals or couples including self mastery and living a truly authentic life. Workshops include yoga, zen, non-violent communication, mindfulness training and life purpose workshops.. Most of the workshops are a few hundred dollars, all inclusive.
- Maleny Cheese, 1 Clifford Street, ☎ . European style cheese making. Watch cheese and yoghurt being made. Includes a cafe.
- Maleny Supermarket IGA Universal Providers, ☎ . Maple Street. (In the middle of town). Organic and other produce, plus gourmet cheeses. Open 7 days.
- Maple Street Co-op, 37 Maple Street, ☎ . A famous local co-operative started in 1979 that aims to supply high quality organic foods and products (vegetables and fruit) for a reasonable price to Co-op members and the community. Open 7 days.
- Maleny Organic Farmers Market, 4 Lawyer Street, ☎ . Home deliveries.
Maple Street has a considerable number of interesting restaurants and cafes. (Vegetarians are well catered for in this area.)
- Bohemian Dreams Cafe, 11 Coral St, ☎ . Just off Maple St. Coffee shop plus gifts.
- Cappriccio's Italian Restaurant, ☎ . In the 'Riverside Centre' on Maple St.
- Captain Merv's Seafood, 8 Maple St, ☎ .
- Cheese Stop Cafe, 1 Clifford St, ☎ . Fully licensed café with espresso coffee, tea and cold drinks, special cheese dishes, cakes, scones & desserts. (Watch cheese & yoghurt being made on the premises.)
- Colin James Fine Foods, ☎ . Maple St. Gelati, an extensive range of cheese, with a cafe which caters to a gluten free diet.
- Figtree Cottage Restaurant, ☎ . 37 Maleny-Montville Rd.
- Gypsy's Table Licensed Restaurant, ☎ . In the 'Rainforest Plaza' at 43 Maple St. Vegetarian plus non vegetarian menus.
- King Ludwig's Restaurant, 401 Mountain View Rd, ☎ . German cuisine with spectacular views of the Glasshouse Mountains. Fully licensed. Lunch Wed-Sun. Dinner Wed-Sat.
- Maleny Coach House, ☎ . Landsborough-Maleny Rd.
- Monica's, 43 Maple St, ☎ . Cafe and BYO dining.
- Pearl Garden Chinese Restaurant, ☎ . At the 'Riverside Centre' on Maple St.
- Pomodoars on Obi, 18 Lawyer St. (Behind the local RSL), ☎ . Food and luxury treetop cabins overlooking the Obi Obi Creek, in the heart of Maleny
- Swiss Crust Wood Fired Bakery, 16 Maple St, ☎ .
- Terrace of Maleny, ☎ . Outside of town on Mountain View Rd. Lunch and dinner 7 days a week.
- Upfront Club, 31 Maple St, ☎ . A successful co-op since 1994, offering breakfast, lunch, dinner, evening entertainment and coffee
- The Key Restaurant Maleny, Cairncross Corner, Cnr. of Maleny Landsborough Rd and Mountain view Rd, ☎ . W-Sun, lunch and dinner. 11AM-till late. Relaxed atmosphere, sunny terrace. Blend of African, Creole and Mediterranean culinary influences. Friday night buffet, local produce, chicken and meat are hormone free. Caters for vegetarian diets and for people with gluten intolerance.. From $16.50.
- Key Restaurant Maleny, ☎ . Cairncross Corner 10 Mountain View Road Maleny 5 mins from Maleny. Open Lunch & dinner, Wednesday to Sunday, from 11AM until late. Special Friday Night Buffet Tastes of Africa & Sunday Lunch Alfresco.
- Maleny Hotel, ☎ . Bunya Street.
- Maudy's Restaurant and Bar, 466 Maleny-Kenilworth road Witta Maleny (7 km from Maleny), ☎ . Wed-Sun. Dine in and take away.
- Ocean View Caravan Park, Landsborough Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 1171, . Self contained A/C cabins. Powered sites for caravans. Amenities block. Great views over the coast.
- Crystal Waters Visitors Camping Area. ☎ +61 7 5494 4726, . Bushland setting near the main Crystal Waters facilities and cafe. Powered and unpowered sites, plus bunkhouses available.
- Animal Farm at Maleny, 366 Reesville Road, ☎ . Motel units & 12 cabins on a working farm. Swimming pool, dams, rainforest walk. Chapel caters for weddings. Conference centre.
- Artisan Spa Views B&B and Cottage, 475 Maleny-Kenilworth Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 4222. . First Class Romantic getaway, Relaxing ambiance, king beds and deep spas in every suite and cottage. Bed and breakfast, private suites with views. Adults retreat. Caters for small personal weddings and honeymoons.
- Arley Farm, 150 Kings Lane, ☎ . Renovated old dairy building with 2 bedroom self contained accommodation on a working beef farm. Suitable for couples or families. Frontage to Obi Obi creek with views over surrounding farmlands. 160 acre property, 3 km to Maleny. Fires, creek swimming, platypus, minimum stay 2 nights. Attached studio of 15x5 m available for artists or workshops. Selected for Sunshine Coast Art Prize Residency 2006 & 2007.
- Bamboo Retreat, 949 Kidaman Creek Road, ☎ . 4.5 star king studio with private garden and outdoor hot tub spa, located on a secluded forest ridge overlooking Obi Obi Valley, adjacent to National Park. Breakfast in suite or private gazebo. Minimum stay 2 nights. No pets.
- Bendles Cottages & Villas, 937 Montville Road, ☎ .
- Benida Cottages, 829 Stanley River Road, ☎ . Self contained pole cottages in rainforest setting.
- Braeside Bed and Breakfast, 305 Maleny-Stanley River Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 3542, . Log fires, spas and rainforest, A/C and internet access. Just outside Maleny.
- Curramore County Cottages, 383 Curramore Road, ☎ . Self contained cabins for couples, with great views.
- Eyrie Escape, 316 Brandenburg Road, ☎ . Bald Knob. Bed and breakfast with good views. A/C.
- Fraser's Selection, Corks Pocket Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 2735, . Eco tourism 2 bedroom self contained cabins. 208 acre working mountain cattle property on the edge of Conondale State Forest.
- Jacaranda Cottages, 158 Teutoberg Avenue, ☎ . At in Witta, just a few minutes north of Maleny. Private, rural 'get away' for couples, families and small groups.
- Laurels Boutique Hotel, 953 Maleny-Montville Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 3422, . Offers both bed and breakfast rooms plus self contained cottages.
- Lyndon Lodge, Benecke Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 3307, . Bed and breakfast located between Maleny and Montville, with walking tracks and great views.
- Lyola Pavilions, Policeman's Spur Road, Booroobin. ☎ +61 7 5429 6900, . Two secluded pavilions in rainforest setting, with views.
- Maleny Country Cottages, 347 Cork's Pocket Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 2744, . Self contained architect designed cottages on 60 acres of bushland, lots of local wildlife.
- Maleny Lodge, 58 Maple Street, ☎ . Located in a historic 1894 near the centre of Maleny, bed and breakfast accommodation with an open fire in the winter.
- Maleny Hills Motel, 932 Montville Road, ☎ . 5 km from the centre of town. A/C.
- Maleny Hotel Bunya Street.. ☎ +61 7 5494 2013.
- Maleny Loggers Rest Maleny Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 2944.
- Maleny Tropical Retreat 540 Maleny-Montville Road. ☎ +61 7 5435 2113. Balinese inspired bed and breakfast in a rainforest setting.
- Mountain View Homestead, 193 Mountain View Road. ☎ +61 7 5499 9278.
- Roseville House, 640 Maleny-Montville Road at Balmoral Lookout. ☎ +61 7 5494 3411, . Bed and breakfast in a federation era (early 1900s) house. A/C, ocean and mountain views.
- Tamarind, 88 Obi Lane South, ☎ . Bed and breakfast. Rainforest site, near waterfall.
- Tranquil Park Mountain Resort Maleny, 483 Mountain View Road, ☎ . Excellent views of the Glasshouse Mountains.
- Wattle Gully Retreat, 158 Ansell Road, ☎ . Cabins, cottages and a farm house. Bushland setting with kangaroos and koalas. Rainforest walks.
- Wittacork Dairy Cottages, Tesch Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 4369, . Self contained western red cedar cottages, adjacent to a working dairy farm, set on a ridge overlooking Lake Baroon and the Obi Obi Gorge National Park, surrounded by rainforest. Watch cows being milked, feed the calves and collect eggs. 2 km (1.25 mi) of walking tracks in privately owned rainforest & waterfall viewing areas.
- "'Artisan Spa Views"'  475 Maleny-Kenilworth Road Maleny. Telephone +61 7 5494 4222. Overlooks beautiful Mountains and valleys from the deep spas and king beds. Breakfast served to you suite, massages in room.
- Lillypilly's Country Cottages, 584 Maleny-Montville Road. ☎ +61 7 5494 3002, . Luxury cottages with A/C overlooking Lake Baroon. Beautiful views. Therapeutic massage, special shiatsu treatments and reflexology available.
- Maleny Views Cottage Resort, 1 Panorama Place, ☎ . Off Mountain View Road. 6 cottages and a villa with great views.
- Middleton Manor, 3 Middleton Road, ☎ . Witta. 4.5 star bed and breakfast just outside Maleny.
- Solothurn Rural Resort, 366 Reesville Road, ☎ . Reesville. 400 acre farm set amidst the rainforests of the Sunshine Coast Hinterland at Maleny.
- Whispering Valley Retreat, Schultz Road, off Curramore Road. ☎ +61 7 07 5494 4367, . Secluded cottages on 50 acres.
- Top Cottage, 63 Burnett Lane, ☎ . Original farm cottage with views. Self contained with 3 bedrooms and fireplace. Other cottages also available.
- The Range News Maleny's local weekly newspaper.
- The Sunshine Coast Daily Regional daily newspaper for the whole Sunshine Coast.
- The Maleny Voice Open community magazine and portal.
- Hinterlandgrapevine Online
- View News Local news, events & information
- Flaxton A small Blackall Ranges town, perhaps the prettiest of all, near Montville, about 15 km from Maleny. See the Flaxton Barn and Model Railway.
- Montville Nearby historic but very touristy town, also in the Blackall Ranges, about 10 km from Maleny via Montville-Maleny Road. Lots of shops and cafes and restaurants. Excellent views from various spots.