Mesaieed, also known as Umm Sa'id, is a major town and port on the Qatar peninsula. Similar to many cities across the country, Mesaieed was founded in 1949 as a tanker terminal, to help grow Qatar's oil industry. It was the only deep-sea port for over 20 years, which helped it grow as a centre of trade. Nearly the entire population of 15,000 works for Qatar Petroleum, who also have a monopoly over local services and schools.
The Route 109 bus (timetable) runs from Al Ghanim Bus Station in Doha to Mesaieed and back, with approximately half an hour frequency and one hour journey time to the town centre. There are different timetables for Saturday-Thursday and Fridays. Be aware that some 109 buses will terminate at the town of Al Wukair and will not reach Mesaieed. Also be warned that buses can be affected by service changes and disruptions, so it is recommended you call Mowasalat to confirm first on +974 4458 8888.
By private car, you should follow the Mesaieed highway signs out of Doha to the south-east, past the airport, and head towards the city on Mesaieed Road. The journey is about 40km, totalling 40 minutes.
There is little of interest in the town itself, apart from the fairly new Mesaieed Mosque; the attractions are the recreational opportunities nearby, particularly at Sealine Beach Resort (see listing below).
- ATV/quad bike rental, Sealine Beach Rd. The road to Sealine Beach Resort is lined with low sand dunes which are popular with ATV enthusiasts. Vehicles can be rented from any of the many tents lining the road.
- Old Club Reef, turn off of Sealine Beach Rd (between the Q Chem plant and Sealine Beach Resort, about 4.5 km north of the hotel). This 18m-deep artificial reef is made of old vehicles, boats, and industrial debris, and is a popular dive site.
- QP Golf Club. Dating back to 1951, it is the oldest golf course in Qatar. Owned by the state-run Qatar Petroleum, it is primarily used by well-paid staff of the company.
- Dunes Mall (Mesaieed Shopping Center). Has a Shoprite supermarket, electronics store, banks, internet cafe, and food court.
- Sealine Beach Resort, Sealine Beach Rd (19 km south of Mesaieed), ☎ , fax: +974 4476 5298. A popular weekend break getaway for visitors from Doha. Day use facilities include pools, watersports, beach volleyball, tennis, and camel and horse riding.
- Khor Al Udeid (Inland Sea). Located in the far south-eastern quarter of the country right down on the Saudi Arabian border is the Inland Sea known as Khor Al Daid in Arabic. The inland sea is an enormous inlet from the Arabian Gulf surrounded by massive soft sand dunes that can only be reached by a hair-raising drive across the sand in a 4-wheel drive vehicle.