Midnapore is in Southwest Bengal.
Midnapore is headquarters of Paschim Medinipur district in West Bengal.
There are numerous trains throughout the day from Midnapore to Howrah and vice versa. It has trains to and from places around it such as Bankura, Adra, Asansol, Bokaro Steel City, Jhargram and Haldia. Weeklies such as the Dibrugarh-Kanyakumari Vivek Express, Patna-Puri Baidyanathdham Express and Porbanar-Shantragachi Kaviguru Epress pass through Midnapore. Kharagpur, a major railway junction, is just 13 km from Midnapore.
- Pathra (10 km from Midnapore, on the banks of the Kangsabati). There are 34 temples in the village, all more than 200 years old. Numerous other temples are in bad shape. A local Muslim, Mohammad Yeasin Pathan, has taken the lead to protect these temples.
- Karnagarh (10 km from Medinipur). 18th century Chapaleswar and Mahamaya temples.
- Jagannath Temple, Nutan Bazar. Built in 1851
- Jora Masjid, Mian Bazar. Notable for Annual Urs festival (Pilgrims from Balgladesh)
- Gopegarh Heritage and Nature Eco-Tourism Centre. A good picnic spot
- Hotel Rose Valley Midnapur (Near Midnapur railway station), ☎ . , 9007022890 , 9831599988 , 8420198797 , 9163399988
- Hotel Reshma, Station Road, ☎ .