Miskolc used to be one of the centres of heavy industry in 20th century. Today Miskolc is the regional centre of Northern Hungary. The city is surrounded by the beautiful Bükk Mountains. The most famous tourist attractions are outside the city, but one can find things worth visiting in downtown, too.
A quiet suburb of Tapolca, most famous for its cave bath (Barlang-fürdő), provides unique cave thermal spa. Bánkút is a popular ski resort.
- Bus Station (Borsod Volán Autóbusz-állomás Miskolc), Búza tér (east of the city centre.), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Waiting Room is open:daily 04:00-24:00, Ticket office: M-F 05:30-18:00, Sa 5:30-13:00. - Since Miskolc is well connected to the rest of the country by railway lines, there are fewer bus lines connecting Miskolc to other cities. -Price list, Lines, some of them to Debrecen 5:30-20:00, twenty+ per day, to Eger 5:00-18:00, hourly, to Hajdúböszörmény 5:35-20:00, twelwe+ per day, Kazincbarcika 5:30-22:00 every half hour, Mezőkövesd 5:00-18:40, hourly; Szerencs every two hours, 6:00-18:40; Tiszaújváros every half hour; Hódmezővásárhely, Nyíregyháza, Salgótarján, Sátoraljaújhely, Szeged one morning, one afternoon; Kecskemét and Szolnok daily.
- Tiszai Station (Tiszai pályaudvar), Kandó Kálmán tér 1-3 (both tram lines and many bus lines have their end station there.), ☎ . Daily 03:00-23:00. The main railway station, trains going through Northern Hungary all stop in Miskolc, the city can be reached by train from all the major cities (although if you come from the Transdanubian region, you might have to change trains in Budapest which means you have to find your way through the city to the Keleti station.) - See the website of Hungary State Railways for information on trains, travel time and prices. The site is available in Hungarian, English and German (this link leads to the English version.- Automated ticketing.) - International connect to Košice, in Slovakia (daily, one morning and one evening train, 3.5 h, discounted RW tickets for €6.5)
- Train Ticket Office (Miskolc Menetjegyiroda Belföldi pénztár), Arany János u 2. M-F 07:10-18:40, Sa 07:10-14:40. - Automated ticketing.
Miskolc can be reached from the West on Highway M3, which recently reached the city. The highway connecting Miskolc with Debrecen has also been finished. You have to pay a toll/fee if you want to drive on a highway, which consists of going into any gas or petrol station and purchasing a sticker for your car windshield BEFORE you drive on the road.
If you come by car you may expect some trouble with navigation. There is really only one way to get into the village, and it goes through Miskolc, which is not famous for having good road signs. If you are very careful and have at least 2 spare eyes to read the signs, you may well succeed. Or simply ask locals for directions if you feel lost. The spa is about 3 miles south of Miskolc city center, west of the main road.
If you need info on bus lines, go to the mass transport company's site  and click on "Menetrend". At "Viszonylat" choose the number of the bus to see the time tables. (1V and 2V are the tram lines.)
Bus lines important for tourists include:
- Bus 1 connects the Tiszai railway station with the downtown and Diósgyőr district
- Bus 2 starts at Búza tér and goes to Tapolca (30 mn)
- Bus 5 starts in Diósgyőr and goes to Lillafüred
- Bus 15 also starts in Diósgyőr and goes to Ómassa.
You can buy bus tickets on the station (or on the bus for a somewhat bigger price and the driver won't have change, you have to pay the exact amount. Generally it's not recommended), also can buy bus tickets at news stands. Bus tickets are HUF350 (or HUF400 if you buy it on the bus), ten tickets ("gyűjtőjegy") are HUF2800.(Jan 2013)
- General ticket, valid for all buses & trams for one day ("napijegy"): HUF1600
- Same for 3 days (tourist ticket): HUF3000
- same for 7 days ("hetijegy"): HUF3900
Tickets are the same for bus and tram. General & tourist tickets are not valid on Bus 7 after it leaves Miskolc (Bus 7 is the only city bus that leaves Miskolc; it goes to the nearby town Felsőzsolca.) - Penalty if you don't have valid ticket: HUF3000 if you pay immediately, HUF6000 if you don't have money with you and have to pay later.
Buses usually open the first door only because it is part of the driver's job to check if everyone has tickets. They open the other doors only if someone wants to leave the bus at that door, and if you get on the bus through those doors, the driver might ask you through the loudspeaker to show your ticket.
There are only two tram lines, 1 & 2. The end station to both of them is at Tiszai station. Tram line 1 goes to Kilián. Tram no.1 is the good one to the castle of Diosgyor, take off when you can see it on your left hand side. Tram line 2 goes to the metal factory. Be sure to leave Tram 2 at latest at Újgyőri főtér' and change trams if you want to go to Diósgyőr.
Foreigners sometimes find it hard to find their way in the city. City maps are sold in every bookstore and at some newsstands. There are some road signs, but not too many.
Moving around by taxi in Miskolc is an easy way to explore the city or get to your destination. Cabs are not hard to find, especially in the downtown area or around the busy tourist attractions. Prices vary by company, but they average around from $1.50 - $2.00 per km that adds up to the basic fee of $1.50 - $2.00 per ride. Most dispatchers should talk English or German and possibly French, in addition to Hungarian Magyar.
Probably the best way to see the spa is on foot.
This is recommended for the downtown only. Many of the tourist attractions are quite far from the city centre.
Széchenyi Street is mostly a pedestrian precinct, the tram lines go along it, but cars use it only occasionally.
Tourist information centres
- Tourist Information Centre I., Széchenyi Street (utca), 16, ☎ . You can get some useful information here. The staff speak at least English and French. One of the most interesting things to take is a map of the region with panoramic view, things you can see/do around, as well as a small map of the city with everything to see and do indicated.
- Tourist Information Centre II., Gorgey Artur Road ~24, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Main Street (Széchenyi st.) and City Hall Square (Városház tér) with 19th-century houses and lots of shops
- Protestant Church of Avas (Avasi templom), Papszer utca 14, ☎ 46 358677. a beautiful Gothic church on the Avas hill, one of the oldest buildings of the city (13th century). The bells play a melody in every 15 minutes, a variation of the Westminster Chimes. It is a well-known tune in the city.
- Greek Orthodox church (Görögkeleti templom, Magyar ortodox templom), Deák Ferenc tér 7. (18th century) with the largest iconostasion in Central Europe
- Protestant Wooden Church (Plank church, Tetemvári Református deszkatemplom, Deszkatemplom), Pálóczy utca. This is a beautiful church made of wood (built in 1998 as the exact copy of the original church that was burnt down in 1997)
- Minorita Assumption Church (Minorita Nagyboldogasszony templom), Hősök tere 5a.
- Downtown Protestant Church (Miskolc-Belvárosi Református temploma, Kakas templom), Kossuth Lajos utca 17.
- Lutheran parish church in Miskolc (Miskolci Evangélikus Egyházközség templom), Hunyadi János utca 8.
- Ottó Herman Museum (Herman Ottó Múzeum Miskolc), Görgey Artúr utca 28, ☎ .
- Images museum (Lezerpont Latvanytar, Lézerpont Látványtár és -műhely), Győri kapu 57 (NW 1 km), ☎ . regroup many exhibitions including Traditional folk costume, History of office machine, Articles from the recent years (everyday stuff mainly from the cold war period), Minerals from Transylvania, After world war II, the communism period.
- Town Hall (Miskolc Megyei Jogú Város Polgármesteri Hivatal), Városház tér 8, ☎ .
- County Hall (Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén megyei Önkormányzat), Városház tér 1, ☎ .
- Avas Observation Tower (Avas-kilátó) (W 0.5 km). with panorama on the city
- National Theatre of Miskolc (Nemzeti Színház), Déryné utca, ☎ . M-F 10:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-13:00. Tickets HUF1100-2000.
- Diosgyor castle remains (Diósgyőri Vár), Diósgyőr, Vár u. 24 (Get the tram line 1 or bus 1.), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. closed for visitors, but can be seen from outside.. This is a partly restored medieval castle, surrounded by the modern blocks of flats. There are several exhibitions in the castle: archaeological findings in the area of a castle and the old Pauline monastery, medieval weapons and two waxworks, one shows the everyday life in Diósgyőr in the Middle Ages, another shows King Louis the Great and the envoy from Venice. Medieval castle plays are held in every May and August.
It takes about 30 mn by bus from 'Buza ter' to get to Tapolca.
- Cave bath (Barlangfürdő Miskolctapolca), Pazár István sétány (Take citybus (blue) No. 2 to the end, 200 m walk from there), ☎ . Open 9AM till 7PM. A thermal bath in a natural cave. This is a must do if you are in Miskolc. Half price after 4PM (july 2012). Services: Bathing in Outdoor pools: - 3 children's pools, Pond Pool Spa Experience, Mussel Pool, Swimming pool; Indoor Pools: Two thermal pools (33-35°C), Roman Hall (32°C), Stars room (32°C), Old cave pool (29-30°C), Hall bath (29-30°C). Sauna and solarium park: Finnish saunas (4), Infrared saunas (4),Steam Room (1), Solariums (2). HUF3300 for full day (2014), Sauna HUF1000,.
- Before the cave bath there is a large, nice park with a boat lake
- Rock chapel (a chapel in a small natural cave)
- Akropolis is an adventure park for kids and grown up.
- The Cave Bath. A unique experience to swim (well, you can't really swim there), splash, play and walk around in a large cave system, which has water temperatures from 20-36 Celsius (thermal water), and has warm, wet air inside even in the winter. The caves are around 150 meters long but naturally nothing is straight, and it's all quite dark (it's a cave, after all). The bath also has pools outside the cave. The Cave Bath is surrounded by a large park which has an artificial lake where you can row boats.
- Wine Testing at Avas Cellars Aranykorona Hotel, Restaurant and Cellar (Avas Pince), Kisavas, Első sor 19-20., ☎ 46 506 882. every Friday. Wine tasting and cellar visiting program at Avas hill. location:Hotel, Étterem és \"Sétáló Pince\" (). Every Friday you can discover the secret at the "stomack" of Avas Hill. Here is a wonderful, long historical cellar, and you can take part in a guided tour and a complex wine tatsing program. - Duration: about 2 hours HUF2500 (2014).
- Miskolc Zoo (Miskolci Állatkert és Kultúrpark), Csanyikvölgy (West ten km from center, at the last stop of bus number 1), ☎ 46 332121. Summer (6 Oct to 15 Mar): 09:00-18:00, Winter (Mar 14 to Oct 7): 09:00-16:00. You have to climb up to the hilltop. Originally it was a wildlife park showing the wild animals of the surrounding Bükk mountains. Today not only local wild animals can be seen here, but also exotic animals like camels, monkeys, parrots, tiger, leopard. The zoo has about 700 animals of 130 different species. Not so many exotic, but many domestic and hungarian animals. Children usually like it :-) HUF1200 for adults, 900HUF for children, 100HUF for children under 3 (2014).
- Queen Spring 22 May. Renaissance season opening in the castle of Diosgyor.
- Bartók + in June is an international opera festival with opera and ballet performances at the theatre and additional localities presented by international guest artists and companies.
- Medieval commonalty joust in the court of king Louis the great. 14–15 August in the castle of Diosgyor.
- CineFest is a week-long international film festival in September, organized for the 7th consecutive year in 2010. Expect somewhat obscure but very interesting feature and documentary films, rollercoaster sessions of half-amateur short films of inapprehensible quality, and a haphazard but invariably watchworthy selection of short animations, almost all with English subtitles; also workshops and talks with foreign guests.
- Decathlon sports store (Decathlon Miskolc), József Attila út 83.
- Media Markt electronics stores, Király utca 1 / a.
- Metro Cash & Carry warehouse store (METRO Áruház Miskolc), József Attila utca 12570. (East 2 km), ☎ .
- Möbelix furniture store, Pesti út 25 (South 4 km).
- Obi DIY store (Obi Barkácsáruház), Szentpéteri kapu 103 (N 2 km), ☎ .
- Praktiker DIY store (Praktiker Barkácsáruház), Pesti út 7 (bus 4 or 44 or 'Cora'), ☎ 46 561 000. M-F 8:00-20:00, Sa 9:00-20:00, Su 9:00-18:00.
- Aldi discount supermarket, Kiss Ernő utca 13/c (NW 1.5 km). More unit: Pesti út 5
- Coop supermarket, Diósgyőr, Fényesvölgyi utca 11 (W 6 km), ☎ 46 500 374. A big chain. Fábián U. 12. Tel.: 46/500374; Szentgyörgy út 59.; Vörösmarty u. 17.; Vörösmarty u.74; Szentgyörgy U. 3., Futó U. 2; Miskolci U. 77.; 100. SZ. ABC, Szentpéteri kapu 64., Búza tér 1.; Kisfaludy U. 31/33; Klapka U. 27-29; Testvérvrosok u. 8.; Szentistván u. 1.; Thököly U. 2. and more a dozen units in the city
- Penny Market discount supermarket, Andrassy Street, 61 (W 3 km). M-Sa 7:00 -20:00 Su 7:00-20:00. More units: Csaba 1 road, Ilona Street, 1 (Downtown)
- Real discount supermarket, Corvin utca 11 (Downtown). More units: Besenyői road 8, Real, Árpád út 2 (4 km NW)., Mátyás király road 21
- SPAR supermarket, Király Street 7/a. More units: Fényi Gyula Square, Klapka street 9-11, Széchenyi utca 7, Széchenyi utca 111, Újgyőri Fő square. 32
- Tesco supermarket, Arany János Square 1. More units: Nagyváthy Street, 1; Széchenyi utca 29
During the late 1990s–early 2000s several bigger and smaller shopping malls were opened in Miskolc (and because of them, many small shops disappeared because couldn't keep up with them.)
- Miskolc Plaza, Szentpáli utca (close to downtown and Búza tér behind the Centrum supermarket and department store). Is a large shopping mall located. There is a large supermarket and lots of different shops. Bowling. Gambling Hall. Cinemas
- Szinvapark shopping center (Szinvapark Bevásárlóközpont), Bajcsy-Zs street 2-4. (, close from Centrum; the tram stops near it.), ☎ . Is the other large shopping mall in the downtown, there are a tramstop as well with same name. Bowling, cafes
- Park Center shopping park, Pesti út 9.
- STOP.SHOP shopping park, Szentpéteri kapu 80 / a.
Two smaller malls are Batóház and Metropol, opposite to Centrum.
- Auchan South hypermarket, József Attila út 87.
- Auchan North hypermarket, Pesti út 7.
- InterSpar hypermarket, Bajcsy-Zs. utca 2-4..
- Tesco 'Avas' hypermarket, Mésztelepi Street 1 / a..
- Tesco 'Szentpéteri kapu' hypermarket, Szentpéteri kapu 103.
- Falánk Fanny Pastry Shop (Falánk Fanny Cukrászda), Szemere u. 3.
- Kisgergely Confectionery (Kisgergely Cukrászda), Diósgyőr, Nagy Lajos király utca 9-13 (W 6 km).
There are many smaller shops, Chinese restaurants with cheap food.
- Julia Chinese restaurant, Buza ter (behind the Marketplace building). menus from 490HUF.
- cheap Chinese restaurant (opposite Szinvapark).
- Fozelekbars (Főzelék Bár), Szivapark Food Court. offer Hungarian type of food around 400-500HUF.
- Calypso Tavern, Városház tér 7 (Center).
- Dolce Vita Restaurant and Pizzeria (Dolce Vita Étterem és Pizzéria).
- Palacsintaház Restaurant (Palacsintaház Étterem), Mélyvölgy u. 212.
- Halásztanya Restaurant (Halásztanya Étterem), Mélyvölgy utca 15.
- Kemencés Tavern (Kemencés Kisvendéglő), Miskolctapolca, Csabai utca (SW).
- Kis-Anna Fishermen’s Garden (Kis Anna Halászkert), Miskolctapolca, Görömbölyi u. 38. (SW).
- Matróz grill Restaurant, Széchenyi utca 68..
- Tábor I. Pizzeria (Pizza Tábor I.), Városház tér (Center), ☎ (46) 355 444.
- Tusculanum restaurant. In the summer, you can sit in the restaurant's garden. Food is pretty good (don't miss the "Grandmother's Meat Soup", and don't expect to be able to eat much more after you are done). Service varies widely with the waiter who serves you. Fair prices ?.
Enjoy wine in some of the restaurants in Avas hill.
- Padlás Jazztaurant, Győri kapu, 74?.
- Kortyolda Restaurant and Brewery (Kortyolda Étterem és Sörfőzde), Széchenyi u. 26 (Near to padlock bridge). Since 2007 they create an own beer, this beer was called Korty (now we also mention it as Corvinus Rex). This contains: the famous Tokaji aszú wine, the malt from the Hernád Valley, combined with karst water from Miskolc. This is a special beer, with unique colour and taste. As it contains aszú wine, its alcohol capacity is higher than a simple beer's capacity, also offer other home-made beers like brown and lager beer, furthermore you can drink some seasonal beers like IPA (Indian Pale Ale), ginger, chestnut, apple and Paracelsus beer.
- Impressszó Club Restaurant.
- Café du Boucher - Belgian Beer Café, Mikes K. 2.
- Avasi Wine Museum and Wine Restaurant (Avasi Bormúzeum és Borvendéglő), Latabár sor 388 (West 2 km).
- Déryné Pub (Déryné Presszó), Déryné utca.
- Grizzly Music Pub, Városház tér.
- Cafe du Boucher. The Belgian Beer Cafe is an excellent eatery with many different Belgian Beers and Cigars. Food is excellent and English is spoken. Make sure you leave a good tip so that the bell is rung as you leave the place.
- Hungaria Pansion and Restaurant (Hungária Panzió és Étterem), Csabai Street 7 (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 46 432884. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 11:00. Non-smoking rooms, Family rooms, Heating,24-hour front desk, Barber/beauty shop, Restaurant (a la carte), Solarium, Massage, Children's playground, Garden, WiFi, Parking Free! Dbl HUF10,000.
- Hotel Lido, Kiss József Street 4 (Miskolc-Tapolca), ☎ , fax: +36 46 422231, e-mail: email@example.com. sgl/dbl/tpl/quad (shower) HUF3000/4200/5400/6600 apartman dbl/quad HUF8,000/13,000; suite HUF11,000/13,000 all price incl. local resort tax.
- Hotel Kolibri, Fecske u. 15-17. (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 46 555017, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. Dbl HUF14400, Superior dbl room HUF16600, Superior room with 3 beds 18500, apartment for 2 people HUF19500, One room apartment for 3 people HUF22200, One room apartment for 4 people HUF24500, Suite HUF27200 incl. local tax, main season prices (2014).
- Hotel Bástya (Miskolctapolca Bástya Wellness Hotel), Miskolctapolcai road, 1, ☎ . three star section standard sgl/dbl HUF13000/24000, family HUF17000/30000; four star unit superior HUF16000/29000, family HUF19000/35000.
- Zenit Guesthouse (Zenit Panzió), Miskolctapolcai út 25 (Downtown), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. +phone=+36 46 561560 Dbl/tpl/quad HUF14000/18000/24000.
- Hotel Anna, Miskolctapolcai út 7, ☎ , fax: +36 46 793-870, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 11 rooms, 2 apts, 3 suites. +phone=+36 30 2187272 dbl/tpl/quad HUF9000/13000/15000-16000.
- Tapolca Inn (Tapolca Fogadó), Csabai u. 36. (SW 3km), ☎ , fax: +36 46 562-215, e-mail: email@example.com. (website in Hungarian)
- Hunguest Hotel Palota (Downtown).
- City Hotel Miskolc (1 km of downtown, few minute by bus. 15 minutes walk from the main high street). A nice modern hotel in Miskolc. The staff are friendly and speak English. €60-120 per room.
- Hotel Old Miskolcz (Öreg Miskolcz Szálloda) (in the heart of the historic downtown). *** with its art deco style fits in the surrounding buildings radiating the atmosphere of the early 20th century.
- Levay Villa Pension (Lévay-Villa) (close to the Népkert-Public Garden, ~1 km from the main street ?). The three-stars Pension building was built in a green belt garden suburb in 1916, according to the architectural plans of Josef Seiler, the master-builder from Vienna. Very close to City Hotel. English is spoken well. A good friendly hotel.
- Varkert (Várkert Panzió), Diósgyőr (close to the Castle, from downtown is about 20 minutes by bus or tram.).
- Zenit Pension, Miskolctapolca (in the centre of Miskolctapolca). familiar place
- Kikelet Club Hotel, Miskolctapolca (0.5km to Cave Bath). This three star hotel is waiting those who wish to relax and refresh by the recently excavated pools and sterilized air. Near the cave bath, a boating lake and parks contribute to the entertainment possibilities.
- Post Office (Miskolc 1 posta), Kazinczy Ferenc utca 16, ☎ .
There are free Wifi hotspots at Heroe's square and Szinva terrace as well as at some other places like Szinvapark and Miskolc Plaza (Mall)
- Aggtelek. beautiful caves with dripstones and stalagmites. UNESCO World Heritage Listed place
- Eger. — famous for its baroque buildings, castle and wines, especially Bull's Blood (Bikavér)
- Mezőkövesd, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén. — Spa with hot mineral water
- Miskolc-Tapolca, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén. — unique cave bath and park with lake
- Gyöngyös - City of Wines
- Hollókő — a beautiful old preserved village
- Ózd, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén.
- Lillafüred (W 15 km). There's a narrow gauge train to this nice village in Bükk mountains sitting in a valley by Hámori lake, where you can visit several caves.
- Sárospatak, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén.
- Sátoraljaújhely, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén.
- Szerencs, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén. Castle. Chocolate Factory, Guided tours and Industrial History Museum
- Salgótarján — a modern mining town situated in the hills with two castle ruins
- Tokaj, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén. — a famous wine town producing high quality white wines. See also Tokaj-Hegyalja, interesting wine region