Mount Pleasant (Michigan)
(Redirected from Mount Pleasant, MI)
Mount Pleasant is a city in Central Michigan.
US-127 runs just east of the city, connecting it with Lansing to the south and Clare to the north. M-20 connects Mount Pleasant with Big Rapids to the west and Midland to the east.
Mount Pleasant is a very walkable city, with two new pedestrian "islands" on Mission Street and High Street. Otherwise, the easiest way to get around is via car, although several taxicabs are available. Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort is three miles east of downtown.
Central Michigan University encompasses most of the southern half of the city. Downtown has many historic buildings, including the recently renovated Borden Building, which now serves as city hall.
Mount Pleasant has four city parks on the Chippewa River: Nelson Park, Millpond Park, Island Park, and Chipp-A-Waters park. Either of these parks has access to the river, which is nice to kayak or canoe on.
- The Emerald. Designed by Jerry Matthews, the Emerald is now in its 15th season. The golf course is 6,683 yards with a 71.5 Rating and 128 Slope. Pro shop and restaurant also available.
- University Student Activity Center (located off Broomfield Road just west of East Campus Drive), ☎ . The Student Activity Center offers an Olympic-sized swimming pool and hot tub, racquetball, basketball and volleyball courts, bowling alley, and conditioning rooms with Nautilus equipment and free weights. Guest passes are available $12 per day..
Restaurants in Mt. Pleasant are more or less divided into three separate sections of town: The southern end of town, near the campus of Central Michigan University, the central downtown business district, separated from the campus by a few miles of residences, and the north part of town, closer to the nearby Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. Fast food and pizza establishments are popular near campus; smaller, more unique restaurants are downtown, and chain restaurants dominate the north end.
- Mountain Town Station, 506 W. Broadway (Downtown), ☎ . M-Th 4PM-10PM Fr-Sa 11:30AM-10PM Su 11:30AM-9PM. American food, brewpub. $12-$25.
- The Brass Cafe and Saloon, 128 S. Main (Downtown), ☎ . Tu-Sa 11AM-10:30PM Su-M Closed. Features a full menu restaurant, plus bar food in the saloon. $5-$20.
- Pixie Pizza, 302 N. Mission (Downtown), ☎ . Pizza, coney dogs. Started as a drive-in; similar cuisine. Many locals swear by their pizza.
- Jon's Drive-In, 1030 S. Mission (Campus area), ☎ . Drive-in restaurant, with inside seating available. Typical drive-in food: burgers, hot dogs, milkshakes.
- La Senorita, 1516 S. Mission (Campus area), ☎ . M-Th 11AM-10PM Fr-Sa 11AM-11PM Su 11AM-10PM, bar open to midnight M-Sa. Mexican food, with a fully stocked bar. Known by the locals as "La's". $5-$20.
- Buffalo Wild Wings Grill, 1904 S. Mission (Campus area), ☎ . Bar food. Known as "B-Dub's".
- Italian Oven, 2336 S. Mission (Campus area), ☎ . American-style Italian food. Family friendly.
- Hunan House, 2157 S. Mission (Campus area), ☎ . M-Sa 11AM-10PM Su 12PM-9PM. Chinese food.
- Lil' Chef, 1720 S. Mission (Campus area), ☎ . Open 24 Hours. Standard American food; open 24 hours, so it's popular with the after-bar crowd. $8-$12.
- Big Boy, 1623 S. Mission (Campus area), ☎ . Open 24 Hours. Standard American food. $8-$12.
Mt. Pleasant has dozens of fast-food, pizza and chain restaurants. Driving down Pickard Street, which marks the informal northern edge of town, you'll encounter IHOP, Ponderosa, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, McDonald's, Culver's, Burger King, and many more. South of downtown, near campus, you'll find predominantly fast-food places like McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, and Fazoli's, and plenty of pizza places lurk just off Mission Street or near campus.
Owing to its high concentration of college students, Mount Pleasant has many bars.
If your staying out of downtown Mt. Pleasant, then you can visit CoCo Joes on Bluegrass Rd, or O'Kellys/Wayside, located on the corner of Mission and Broomfield.
If your going into downtown Mt. Pleasant, you can visit The Bird.
- Rubble's Bar, 112 W. Michigan St (downtown), ☎ . Arguably falling into the category of "dive-bar", Rubbles is the main venue for musical performances in Gratiot County, featuring acts ranging from local to nation-wide. The atmosphere is generally gritty and delightfully personal.
- Baymont Inn, 5858 E Pickard (on M-20 just east of US-127), ☎ . Closest hotel to the casino, including a complimentary casino shuttle. Deluxe continental breakfast each morning, as well as indoor pool & Jacuzzi open 24 hours for adults. Free high speed internet, & cable including HBO. Packages available. Now offering a FREE casino shuttle 7 days a week.
- Best Western, 5770 E Pickard, ☎ . In room microwave, refrigerator, modem, coffee maker, hairdryer, iron and ironing board. Free HBO & high speed internet. Near casino. Located on M-20 near US-127. Complimentary deluxe continental breakfast.
- Chippewa Motel, 5662 E Pickard, ☎ . Near casino, located at M-20 and US-127. Complimentary coffee, bagels & muffins. In room microwave, fridge and coffee makers. High speed internet access. Close to Central Michigan University & shopping. Next to Bob Evans.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel and Conference Center, 2424 S Mission (adjacent to CMU), ☎ . Pillowtop mattresses, microwaves, and refrigerators in every room. Conference facilities, continental breakfast, pool, game room and fitness center. Bennigan’s on site.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, 2525 S University Park Dr (adjacent to CMU), ☎ . Complimentary continental breakfast, indoor pool & whirlpool, free local calls. Includes fitness center, guest laundry and business center.
- Hampton Inn, 5205 E Pickard, ☎ . Free shuttle service to the casino seven days a week. Complimentary wireless high speed internet throughout the entire hotel. Indoor pool and whirlpool. Deluxe continental breakfast.
- Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites, 5500 E Pickard (located at M-20 & US-127), ☎ . Complimentary breakfast, extended cable. Free long distance and high speed internet. 5 new 1-2 bed suites, business center, and 24 hour fresh brewed coffee.
|Routes through Mount Pleasant|
|Mackinaw City ← Clare ←||N S||→ St. Louis → Lansing|