Navi Mumbai (or New Bombay)  is a beautiful city in Thane district to the Northeast of Mumbai. It was founded in 1971 as a satellite township to take the pressure off Mumbai city. In that, it has been only partially successful. Though many residents moved into Navi Mumbai, businesses did not. As a result, most people continue to commute to Mumbai. This has been changing in the past few years, with many IT and ITES industries setting up shop here.
Navi Mumbai is separated from the island of Mumbai by the Arabian sea and from Thane city by the Thane creek.
The city does not have an airport yet, though that will change in a few years when the new international airport to serve Mumbai will be built in Navi Mumbai. Work on City & Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra's airport project in Navi Mumbai has already started (as of June 2008), after some issues relating to land acquisition are sorted out and clearance of the Union Cabinet is obtained. The closest airport is in Mumbai. Once you get off, you can take a train, bus or cab to get here.
There are two train lines running through the city. These suburban railway stations are quite neater than those in mainland Mumbai. Navi Mumbai's Railway Stations are one of the very few stations in India which boast of beautiful infrastructure. The trains really are the best transportation option for Navi Mumbai, considering the region's high traffic and pollution.
Mumbai's Harbour Line has been extended to serve Navi Mumbai. The most important station is Vashi, but there are many stations within the city, including Sanpada, Juinagar, Nerul, Seawoods-Darave, CBD-Belapur, Kharghar, and Khandeshwar Mansarovar, & Panvel. The Panvel station is last station on Harbour Line
There are two rail line that connects Thane railway station from Vashi and Nerul. Service on this line has improved a lot now because of more trains added.
There are 5 suburban trains daily between Belapur and Andheri (2 in the morning and 3 in the evening)
With respect to January 2011, the Central railways have also started 12 car coaches between Thane-Panvel, Thane-Nerul Harbour lines. There are also fast trains running on this route.
Panvel-CST bound trains are soon be increased in carrying capacity from 9 to 12 coaches. This will ease the rush in the wee hours of the day in this line.
Navi Mumbai is well connected with Mumbai. There are two entry points from Mumbai, via Chembur/Mankhurd and via the Airoli exit on the Eastern Express Highway. It will cost you Rs. 30 in toll. From Thane, you can enter the city via the Thane-Belapur road, and in fact the Airoli exit joins the Thane-Belapur road. This road has numerous entry points into the city, so you need to confirm which one to take.
The Thane-Belapur road also links up to the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
Mumbai's BEST and Kalyan - Dombivli's KDMT bus services run a few buses into the city. BEST bus numbers in the 500 series are the ones to look for. Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport (NMMT) bus services run buses inside Navi Mumbai. NMMT has extended A/C bus service to Bandra & Borivali and is a very convenient way to travel to Mumbai as it has pressed latest Volvo buses in service. BEST has also started its A/C king Long buses from Navi Mumbai to Mumbai but the fares are higher and buses are not as comfortable as NMMT Volvo buses.
Mumbai's taxis are allowed into Navi Mumbai. Hired cars are also a good way of getting into the city. If you are travelling from Mumbai to Navi Mumbai most taxis will expect the passengers to pay the toll on the bridges connecting the cities, in addition to the metered fare.
Here is an advice - Most taxi/rickshaw meters are doctored, at least in Navi Mumbai. So, better go by branded cab services - Mega Cab (022-42424242), Meru Cab (022-44224422), Gold Cab etc. You would get them at 30-60 minutes notice, they are sparkling clean, air-conditioned, punctual, honest, GPS-equipped-monitored and thus far secure at anytime. You get an SMS saying driver name, mobile number and car number 30 min before scheduled departure. 03-box cars only - Indigo Marina and Maruti Esteem only. Call center 24 hours, and not much difference in the day or night charges. Charge Rs.15 per km point-to-point, with just Rs.2 extra for first km in the night time. In fact, domestic airport has a dedicated areas in the common taxi stand for Mega and Meru cabs. e.g. You would shell out Rs.450-600 from airport to Navi Mumbai depending upon where you go, whereas other cabs may fleece you to the tune of 1000-1600 easily while giving poor service.
Mumbai's auto-rickshaws are not allowed into Navi Mumbai. However, you can catch one right up to the toll gate at Airoli, walk across and catch one on the Navi Mumbai side. Similarly you can catch one to Mankhurd and then change over to a taxi to get to Vashi. But sometime if you are lucky, you can get auto rickshaw to makhurd from vashi also to vashi from mankhurd. Since these auto rickshaw come to mankhurd for gas filling since there are still less number of GAS stations in Vashi.
By car, you can go through the Vashi-Mankhurd Bridge built over the sea, just by paying the over-valued toll tax. To welcome you in Navi Mumbai, there is a beautiful toll plaza at the end of the bridge to welcome you which acts as the entrance gate of Navi Mumbai.
Navi Mumbai's main arterial road - called the 'Palm Beach Road' will help link you to the various nodes of Navi Mumbai viz Vashi, Nerul, CBD Belapur, Khargar, Panvel. It also links Navi Mumbai to Mhape and Thane. Palm Beach Road is a beautiful 4-lane highway with smooth tar roads and several exits to the nodes of the city.
Auto-rickshaw is a popular mode of travel within the satellite city. You will see 'rickshaw stands' at several busy corners of residential and commercial areas. The minimum fare is Rs. 15/- and most rickshaw drivers abide by the meter reading. But in case of doubt, please request for a meter card to confirm if you are being charged the correct amount.
Advice - If you wish to travel to any of the nodes of the city (say from Vashi to Nerul), most rickshaw drivers will ask for half or full return fare upfront. It is NOT mandatory to pay them the return fare and is entirely the discretion of the passenger whether or not he/she wishes to pay the fare. The rule of the land: if you do not wish to pay the return fare (or what the driver asks), you should not board the vehicle. Boarding the vehicle indicates your consent to pay the stipulated fare. Lastly, always let the DRIVER specify the markup on the fare. DO NOT ASK HIM IF HE WANTS A MARKUP TO GO TO ANY OF THE NODES!
Travel within any of the Nodes is always by meter and without a markup. So please do not accept any other price quoted by the driver.
- Kharghar Hills (Belapur). On the way to Kharghar, take a left on uphill as u leave the boundaries of CBD. A very cool place on hilltop. People prefer to come here for morning and evening walk. Youngsters come here to have fun and just chillout. It is closed most of the times in the rainy season because of the landslide. A must to visit this place in evening hours if you are around. It is best to visit this place when the monsoon just starts. During this time there is an enchanting dew and also a slow waterfall often called the Pandavakhada waterfall.
- Sarovar Vihar Garden (attached to the creek at 15 minutes distance by rickshaw near Vashi Station). Like a second marine drive, provides a beautiful view of the sea, a drive from Vashi via the Palm Beach Road ends at Belapur
- Waterfalls, Sector-8 (On the way from Mumbai to Panvel). Pandav kada at kharghar and artist village dam in CBD. Monsoon tourist attraction for people from far and wide
- Rajiv Gandhi Maidan. Lot's of temples for doing Pooja and meditiation, and a good trek
- Rain Tree Marg (Belapur). Has beautiful views of Navi Mumbai
- Mango Garden, Belapur (opposite to the CBD Belapur bus depot). Mango Garden, a must visit place for couples and children. It is a small garden for almost all age group people.
- Central Park, Kharghar. London’s Hyde Park and New York’s central park are few of the best examples of huge amusing park that standout in the history. The project of Central Park is an attempt of CIDCO, not rival to these historical parks, however to make public park creating these park’s concepts, relay the park to current times, in specific-Navi Mumbai’s ethos and additional reflect into future. It is presently under construction but is open to public. The large amphitheatre has hosted many public shows as well.
- Seven Wonders, Sector 18, Nerul (Vashi to Nerul take a right from uran fata.). Park for all ages, it has the Seven Wonder statues. It is a huge park with joy rides. Water pool and fountains to view. Fruit shape huts to seat and take photos. Cool hang out with kids. 35 INR.
- Mini seashor, Vashi, Sector 9, Vashi. Boating, toy train and lot of fun, bhel puri, pani puri, gola etc.... No entry free for gardesn.
- Rajiv Gandhi Joggers Park, Sector-9. A hot-spot for joggers of all ages
- Sagar Vihar, sector 6 vashi (near vashi depot, 10 minutes from vashi station). a cool place to chill out with friends, a must to visit during evening hours.
- . Central Park, It is being developed by the CIDCO, a beautiful landscape. A ISCON temple is attached to this park. 40% work has been completed. There is no entry fee to this park. The west to this park is Pandav Kada waterfall and CIDCO developed Golf Course.
The shopping market throughout Sector-17 is a good place to buy a variety of things at reasonable rates.There are many branded clothing outlets like Puma, Woodland,Reebok,etc.There are also many fast-food giants who have opened there like McDonalds,Subway,etc.
- CenterOne (near Vashi Station). This mall houses all kinds of outlets for apparel, clothes, shoes, Indian Art and handicrafts, food what have you. This mall is also known as one of the oldest mall in Navi mumbai.
- Raghuleela, outside vashi station (left). Absolutely opposite Vashi station, a regular spot for many on-the-go shoppers.awesome food court as well as fame cinemas here for watching movies.the mall has two anchor shops.they are Big-Bazar,Central Mall.The mall has also recently opened an Audi showroom.The Mall is known for its glass facade and brillant parking spaces. This mall is very good for food and cloths
- Little World Mall, Kharghar. Littleworld, Kharghar’s largest mall has it all. It is the new destination for everything that’s hip and happening be it; Fashion, lifestyle, entertainment and events. This mall has a carpet area of more than 90 thousand sq ft. It is a first-class place to hang out with loads of eye-catching discounts and variety of branded outfits. It has amenities like valet parking for around 300 cars, centralized A/C, automatic lifts, and smoke detectors for safety, stunning elevators, and power back up.It has exclusive shops of garments, jewelry, restaurants of delicious food and drinks and even a multiplex where you can enjoy latest blockbusters.
- Inorbit Mall, (opposite Vashi station) (right). Wide variety of brands under a single shed, wonderful place to hangout with family while shopping. vareity of food here in food court. pub and bar at 3rd floor...must visit place. try kareem's here in ground floor...for varieties of chicken, mutton, fish...and other non-veg items...
- Sector 17 and Sector 9, Vashi. About a small drive from Vashi Station, these sectors on the way you get into Vashi are one of the most happening spots of Navi Mumbai. Sector 9 is a local market for all your home needs.
While sector 17 cropping as mini electronics marketplace and commercial place
The food caters to all kinds of palates which includes Pan Indian (South, North, Central and Western Indian), of course Pizza Hut, Smokin Joes, Dominos and McDonalds, Chinese and other oriental and lots more. Some Indian food you could try includes Dosas, Idlis, Bhel, Sev Puri, Samosas, Ragda patties, Pulavs, Rajma Chawal and more. Indian food is really what food should be. There are more varieties of Indian food than probably any other cuisine in the world. After all that hot stuff you can try out the Indian slush called the ice gola in Kalakhatta flavor, which beats Pepsi and Coke hollow. You'll get those two in manned fountains at the food counters.
- Flavours, Sanpada (opp. Sanpada railway station). Intercontinental cuisine. You can actually sit at the counter and enjoy your drinks (Don't forget the Bartender's Special)
- Hot Cross Cafe, Nerul, Palm Beach/Kharghar (opp. Hiranandani Towers, near Utsav Chowk). A very relaxing coffee shop where they serve a variety of hukka (sheesha) at a very minimal rate. One of the best places in Navi Mumbai for hukka and mouth watering and fresh pastries.
- Jaslok (at Nerul/Station). All sorts of snacks and sweets. Pani Puri, Vada Pav and Rasmalai, Jamun are the delicious items
- Nanumal Bhojraj, Nerul-Sanpada Palm Beach Rd. Damn good restaurant for Sindhi and Punjabi food...
- Bhagat Tarachand (Turbhe-Sanpada & Inorbit Mall). Pure veg restaurant.
- Sri Krishna, Sector-11, CBD Belapur (Near K Stars Hotel), ☎ . Nice and good vegetarian food. Best Watermelon Juice! Home Delivery available. Don't forget the Gadbad icecream
- Tunga, Vashi. Good place to eat. Try ghee chapaties...they are awesome
- Vasundhara (opposite Vashi station). Pure veg restaurant.
- Viscious circle, Sector 6, Vashi. Mouth watering kebabs and non veg dishes, good ambience, drinks and a large projector screen.
- Navaratna, Vashi, Sec-17. One of the oldest restaurants in Vashi. It serves great food in the traditional Udipi style. A must try!
- Hotel Ruchi, Koparkhairane. Possibly the best Keralite food you can find in the city. The restaurant itself is pretty small and unnoticable but if you notice it, don't miss it. Try the Kerala Parotha with Chicken Masala and the idiyaappam and appams for breakfast
- Barbeque Nation, Nerul Palm Beach.
- Coral Lounge, Sector 17, Vashi (Above hotel Navratna). please help out with more info
- Dusk (at The Park in C.B.D. Belapur), ☎ . please help out with more info
- Flames, CBD Belapur (Opposite to BEST Depot), ☎ . 12. please help out with more info 250 average.
- Indulge, C.B.D. Belapur (Its 5min frm CBD Rly station). Its a lounge bar. Good Ambience & good place for wine & drink.
- Ice'n'Spice, Nerul (Opposite to Sea-Woods Station). The Biggest Lounge Bar cum Restaurant of Navi Mumbai.
- Rain Forest, Sector 11, Belapur. Great ambience, good music. It is literally a dark forest inside with huge trees. Expensive.
- Spices, Kopar Khairane (near Teen Tanki). Best non veg in KK
- Oven Hot, Near Gaondevi Mandir (The next stop after Gaondevi Mandir to the left). Lovely chicken and veg snacks, superb pastries, delicious frankies. They make any sort of birthday cakes you desire, any shape, any cartoon character. Ask them and you have it. They somehow make 1/2 kg cakes within 15 minutes. They make different kinds of breads and sliced breads and egg/eggless cakes (200 gms each packaged ones. walnut brownie, fruit and nut, mawa, tutty-fruity, choco walnut, etc.). All in all, an awesome place for a small party.
- Rockville restaurant, hotel and bar, sector-15, CBD-Belapur (Near D. Y. Patil University), ☎ . It's a good restaurant/hotel/bar in cbd belapur.
- Celebrations, Plot L 1, Sector19, Vashi (Palm Beach Road, Vashi.), ☎ . 7hrs to 15hrs 19hrs to 24hrs. Business Deluxe Hotel with Multi-cuisine Restaurant, Tycoon Bar, and modern amenities stay. Rs. 500 onwards.
- Health Juice Center, Sector 29, Vashi. Health Juice Center, It is on Vashi to Koper Khairne road, Nice variety of Juice. Try once "BOOM juice"
- Hotel Apex, 15A Laxman Commercial Complex Opposite Mafco Market, Sector 18 Vashi, ☎ + 91 2227888421 30 ,+91 2227888422, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Single (Non AC), Rs. 700 ; Double (Non AC), Rs 1100; Double (AC), Rs. 1300; Double (AC, Excutive), Rs. 1700; Special (3 bedroom, AC), Rs. 2000.
- K-Stars Hotels, Sector 11, C.B.D. Belapur (Opp. C.B.D. Belapur Rly. Station (E)), ☎ 91-22-66269 111 , 91-22-67939111, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-out: boob. A mid-segment business hotel at Belapur, Navi Mumbai (Maharashtra) just off Pune highway.
- Days Inn, L-1, Sector 19, Palm Beach Marg, Vashi. US$35 std rate..
- Hotel Heritage Dakshin, Sai Chambers, Sec 11, CBD Belapur, ☎ . Rp 1,200–2,000.
- Hotel Vishwa Sai, 1st Floor, Hemraj Bldg. Sector 11 (Opp. C.B.D. Belapur Rly. Station (E)), ☎ Tel: +9122 27574508. Check-out: noon. Has Aircondition Rp 1,000–1,200.
- Pooja Heritage, Plot # 22 & 35, Shiravane, GES, Opp. D.Y.Patil Collage, Behind Petrol Pump, Nerul, Navi Mumbai-400706. (Near DY Patil college), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 1200, check-out: 1200. nice hotel at lowest budget Rs. 1200.
- Centr point, sector 11 CBD belapur.. pocket frndly and quiet decent..
- Hotel Three Star, Crystal Plaza, Plot No.18/27, Sector-7, Hiranandani, Kharghar, ☎ 91-22-27741144/32694411/65170202, e-mail: email@example.com. A good mid range hotel
- The Park Hotel, plot No 1, Sector 10, CBD Belapur, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 6000-7000 INR.
- Four Points by Sheraton. Plot 39/1, 6 To 15, Sector 30A,Vashi, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 400701
- Royal Orchid Central Grazia. Plot # 67, L-3, Sector 19, Palm Beach Rd, Vashi, Navi Mumbai - 400705
As the population and prosperity of the city rose through the years, it began to attract more criminal activity. Navi Mumbai's crime count jumped up from 2,763 in 2003 to 3,571 in 2004. One of the main reasons for the spurt in crime is continuous political meddling in police investigations and the grossly under-staffed police force.
There are very few police chowkies throughout Navi Mumbai with virtually non existent beat chowkies and traffic police. Criminal activities in Navi Mumbai include chain snatching, pickpocketing, cellphone snatching. These crimes are mainly confined to sparsely populated areas. Navi Mumbai has witnessed several vehicle thefts and burglaries involving unoccupied houses. Murder and armed robbery take place in significant numbers. Riots and community feuds take place, especially in the Ghansoli area. There have been several instances where mobs of frustrated native villagers have beaten innocent law abiding residents. Nerul is especially plagued by robbery. The number of accidents on the Palm Beach Road caused by are growing at an alarming pace due to non existent traffic police or security cameras. The absence of street lights on the highway between Belapur and Kharghar poses a continued danger to motorists. Shops and housing colonies often hire private security guards, as the police force is often overstretched. Businesses are expected to shut shop by 10PM. The Mumbai underworld has begun to take notice of the city, targeting the increasingly thriving businesses of cable operators, builders and real estate developers for extortion. On the whole, crime in Navi Mumbai is much less than in Mumbai.
- In Rainy season go to Pandavkada Waterfalls in Kharghar. Authorities are strict in not allowing people to visit this place in Monsoon on account of accidental deaths in the waterfall.
- Trek Karnala Fort, 13 km From Panvel
Mumbai (Bombay) is a short train ride away from Navi Mumbai, and many people travel to Mumbai for the day.
The beautiful hill stations of Lonavla and Khandala are less than an hour's drive from Navi Mumbai.