Norrbotten County, Norrbottens län, is the northernmost part of Norrland, Sweden. Bordering to Norway and Finland it covers nearly a quarter of Sweden's total area, from the tall mountains in the west, to the coast and archipelagoes in the east. It includes the province of Norrbotten and the northern part of the province of Lappland. Much of Norrbotten Country is within the Arctic Circle, meaning that Midnight Sun and Arctic Night occur.
- Luleå, the county seat
- Boden, the Swedish Army's stronghold against invasions from the east
Tornedalen, the valley of Torne River, is home to a Finno-Ugric community with Meänkieli as their mother tongue.
- Kiruna, a mining town with a space launch facility
- Gällivare, also a mining town
- Jukkasjärvi, with the Ice Hotel
- Laponia, four national parks, and the largest wilderness in Europe
- Abisko, a national park
This area is a homeland of the Sami culture.
Seasonal variations are dramatic, see winter in the Nordic countries.
Though Swedish is the everyday language, and English is well understood, the northern edge of Sweden is linguistically diverse. The Sami languages, as well as the Meänkieli at the Torne river, are Finno-Ugric; similar to the Finnish language. Also, some of the most archaic Swedish dialects, languages in their own rights, have survived in towns such as Överkalix.
Resrobot is a search engine for all public transport in Sweden.
Domestic airports are located at:
- SJ has night trains from Stockholm and Gothenburg to Luleå and Kiruna.
- From south Sweden to Kiruna or Gällivare: E4 and E10. For Pajala use road 392.
- From south Sweden to Arvidsjaur: E4 until Skellefteå and then road 95.
- There are flights Luleå-Kiruna and Luleå-Pajala.
- SJ has trains Luleå-Gällivare-Kiruna
- Länstrafiken i Norrbotten has local and regional buses.
Arctic Sweden contains enormous areas of pristine nature. The Northern Lights can be seen during favourable conditions.
- Hiking along Kungsleden
As Sweden's northernmost county, with the tallest mountains, winter sports are popular.
- Kalix löjrom.
- Surströmming (fermented herring)