North Shore (New Zealand)
It has an area of approximately 13,000 hectares and a population of around 200,000 people. It has the longest unbroken urban coastline in New Zealand – 150 km. There is an average of 240 days of sunshine every year and an annual rainfall of 1100 mm.
Until November 2010 North Shore was a separate municipality.
North Shore suburbs from north to south:
- Long Bay
- Browns Bay
- Takapuna – the beachside business, shopping and entertainment centre of the North Shore
- Devonport – long-established seaside suburb just 10 min ferry ride from Auckland CDB
An hour's drive from Auckland International Airport north along State Highway 1 (SH1)
A 10 minute drive over the Harbour Bridge from Auckland
Information at Auckland Transport (AT) public transport website
The Auckland Discovery Day Pass allows the traveller to catch a bus, train or ferry all over the Auckland region as often as one likes for a day. Tickets are available from bus drivers, Fuller's Ferries ticket office machines or train personnel. (They are not valid for Waiheke buses or ferries to Half Moon bay or Waiheke). The pass ceases on 1 August 2014.
Stagecoach (one of the local bus companies) offers an $8 pass that is valid on any Stagecoach bus or North Shore - downtown Auckland ferry for the day. Stagecoach also offers a $5 shopping pass which is valid on any Stagecoach bus M-F 9AM-3PM. For more information, phone +64 9 366 6400 or visit .
Over weekends, there is an inner harbour ferry service, This runs the loop Auckland downtown terminal - Bayswater Wharf - Birkenhead Wharf - Northcote Point (on request) - Auckland downtown terminal. Ferries leave from the Auckland downtown terminal at 8:55AM, 9:55AM, 10:55AM, 12:10AM, 1:10PM, 2:10PM and 3:10PM. The ferry may be boarded at any point on the loop. The round trip is approx. 45 minutes. Adults $8.40 Seniors and children $4.40.
- Long Bay Regional Park , stroll around the park and along the beach and enjoy the views over the Hauraki Gulf and adjoining marine reserve. There are also walks, sea kayaking, picnic areas, the historic Vaughan homestead and a kid's play ground which also has a miniature train
- Harbourside Art Trail, take your time and visit the studios of the local artists and craftspeople in Birkenhead and Northcote
- North Head, take a stroll around. It's in Devonport located at the mouth of the Waitemata Harbour. It has stunning views over the Hauraki Gulf and inner harbour. Look out for the complex of tunnels, guns and other fortifications. Spending a day exploring the tunnels and having a picnic is strongly advised. North Head offers spectacular views of North Shore, central Auckland, the harbour bridge and the volcanic island of Rangitoto. 
- Snowplanet. New Zealand's first and only indoor ski resort. Open 365 days a year. Contact 0800SNOWPLANET.