North Shore (New Zealand)
It has an area of approximately 13,000 hectares and a population of around 200,000 people. It has the longest unbroken urban coastline in NZ - 150 km. There is an average of 240 days of sunshine every year and an annual rainfall of 1100 mm.
Until November 2010 North Shore was a separate municipality.
North Shore has a number of suburbs:
- East Coast Bays
- Forrest Hill
- Browns Bay
- Long Bay
An hour's drive from Auckland International Airport  north along State Highway 1 (SH1)
A 10 minute drive over the Harbour Bridge from Auckland
The Auckland Discovery Day Pass allows the traveller to catch a bus, train or ferry all over the greater Auckland region as often as one likes for a day. Tickets are $12 and are available from bus drivers, Fuller's Ferries ticket office machines or the train personnel. (Note: they are not valid for Waiheke buses or ferries to Half Moon bay or Waiheke).
Stagecoach (one of the local bus companies) offers an $8 pass that is valid on any Stagecoach bus or North Shore - downtown Auckland ferry for the day. Stagecoach also offers a $5 shopping pass which is valid on any Stagecoach bus M - F 9AM - 3PM. For more information, phone +64 9 366 6400 or visit .
Over weekends, there is an inner harbour ferry service, This runs the loop Auckland downtown terminal - Bayswater Wharf - Birkenhead Wharf - Northcote Point (on request) - Auckland downtown terminal. Ferries leave from the Auckland downtown terminal at 8:55AM, 9:55AM, 10:55AM, 12:10AM, 1:10PM, 2:10PM and 3:10PM. The ferry may be boarded at any point on the loop. The round trip is approx. 45 minutes. Adults $8.40 Seniors and children $4.40.
- Long Bay Regional Park , stroll around the park and along the beach and enjoy the views over the Hauraki Gulf and adjoining marine reserve. There are also walks, sea kayaking, picnic areas, the historic Vaughan homestead and a kid's play ground which also has a miniature train
- Harbourside Art Trail, take your time and visit the studios of the local artists and craftspeople in Birkenhead and Northcote
- North Head, take a stroll around. It's in Devonport located at the mouth of the Waitemata Harbour. It has stunning views over the Hauraki Gulf and inner harbour. Look out for the complex of tunnels, guns and other fortifications. Spending a day exploring the tunnels and having a picnic is strongly advised. North Head offers spectacular views of North Shore, central Auckland, the harbour bridge and the volcanic island of Rangitoto. 
- Snowplanet. New Zealand's first and only indoor ski resort. Open 365 days a year. Contact 0800SNOWPLANET.
- The Dining Room, The Spencer on Byron Hotel, 9-17 Byron Ave, Takapuna Beach. Asian-influenced cuisine. An average main course costs $25 - $35.
- The Copper Room, 138 Hurstmere Road, ☎ . Takapuna Beach.
- Parklane Motor Inn, 2 Rewiti Avenue Takapuna, ☎ . Check-in: 2pm, check-out: 10am. Situated only 1 minute walk from the beautiful sandy Takapuna Beach with its great views of Rangitoto. Parklane Motor Inn offers a Qualmark 4 Star 32 room motel accommodation just a short stroll to all of Takapuna's shops restaurants cafes and exciting nightspots. It is the closest motel to historic Devonport. Whether for business or for pleasure, the Parklane Motor Inn Takapuna is perfectly located for shopping or maybe just to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. $120-$260.
- Beresford B&B, 46A Beresford St, Bayswater, ☎ . Check-in: flexible. Relax and feel at home, but be within easy reach of all that Auckland has to offer. Modern house located in peaceful suburb just across the harbour from city. Close to ferry, bus, beaches, shopping, restaurants, theatres. Your own TV lounge, all mod cons and amenities. Double $120-$140 Single $95-$115.