Patiala is a nice city, rich of cultural heritage. Its history dates back to the mid of the 18th century, when Baba Ala Singh successfully established a princely state in the Malwa region of Punjab. In 1763 Ala Singh built the fort known as Qila Mubaraka which was his permanent seat until his death two years later. Under his successors, the kingdom expanded and the fort continued to be a residence of the royal family. During the Anglo-Sikh wars, the rulers of Patiala were an ally of the British. As a result of the meritorious services, they were granted the title of Mararajas. In the aftermath of Indian Independence Act, Patiala's last ruler signed the accession to the Indian Union.
Today Patiala is a lively city known for its production of handcrafted goods. The juttis, traditional embroidered shoes for women and men alike, are exported all over the world to Punjabi diaspora.
As elsewhere in Punjab, November marks the disappearance of the monsoon. Sunny skies prevail till mid February. Daytime temperatures are comfortable. This is undoubtedly one of the best time to visit
The nearest Airport is Chandigarh from where you can either take bus or taxi. Taxi may charge around 800 to 1000 rs. You have to bargain really hard to get the right price.
Although there is a railway station. at Patiala but it is not very well connected by Rail because it doesn't falls on main line. Delhi Bathinda intercity is the best train for Patiala. However there is "Dadar Amritsar express" coming from Mumbai and few intercity trains.
The nearest well connected Railway station is Ambala ( UMB). There are many trains coming from all parts of India up to Ambala. From Ambala you can hire a taxi or come by bus. Distance is 60 kms. Taxi may charge around 800 to 1000 rupees.
Bus stand, Sheran Wala Gate.
If you are coming from Delhi it is 260 kms distance, then you can find direct buses from ISBT after every hour. There are deluxe buses also available charges rs. 240 per head. The bus journey from Delhi take 6 hrs. One can also take taxi, but charges will be really high in tune of 3500-4500.
There are regular buses from Chandigarh every hour direct to Patiala.
- Qila Mubarak complex. Qila Mubarak was the official residence of the Maharaja till 1862. The complex comprises 10 courtyards and several historic built structures. Notable buildings include Qila Androon, the main entrance with an imposing gate, Sheesh Mahal (palace of mirrors) , Raan Baas with a whole set of frescoes and Durbar Hall. The latter houses a collection of arms.
- Old Moti Bagh Palace. The Palace, built in the mid-19th century, was the seat of the Patiala royal family. With over 1,000 rooms it's one of the largest royal residences in the world. Today it houses the National Institute of Sports
- Baradari Gardens. The gardens were designed in 1876 by Kaur Sahib Ranbir Singh, the younger brother of the Maharaja. They surround colonial buildings and a marble statue of Maharaja Rajindera. Today, the Baradari Palace is a heritage hotel run by Neemrana Hotels group
- Gurudwara Dukhniwaran Sahib Ji.
- Ijlas-e Khas.
- Maiji Di Sarai.
- Mall Road.
- Panj Bali Gurdwara.
- Qila Bahadurgarh.
- Rajindera Kothi.
- Rang Mahal and Sheesh Mahal.
- Shahi Samadhan.
- Temple Kali Mata Ji.
- Dhillon's Fun-World, ☎ .
- Omaxe Mall, Mall Road, Baradari, ☎ . 11:00 am – 9:00 pm.
- AC Market (Adalat bazar).
- Bitly Bros. Gift House. local traditional Gift items.
- Desi Jutti. local traditional Indian shoes.
- Patiala salwar.
- Punjabi suits.
- Reshmi naale.
- Gopal Sweets, Phowara Chowk, ☎ . 9:00 am – 10:00 pm. Located near Leela Bhawan , on the best locations in Patiala. The best budget restaurant in city. The only problem is it is self-service.
- Sadhu Ram di Kachori, Books Bazaar. 8:00 am – 8:30 pm. Oldest in the town...Fresh every Day. The best & pure you can get.
- Mohan Continental. provided excellent food , but cost is sky high.
- Sahni's. good budget food , serious competetion to Gopal Sweets. Near 22 no, flyover.
- Dominos (near Gopal Sweets).
- Subway (near Gopal Sweets).
- McDonalds. you can find McD in Omaxe Mall
- Amritsari Naan, Near AC market parking.
- Gopal Sweets.
- Jaggi Sweets.
- Manu lassi, ☎ . 7:00 am – 8:00 pm.
- Sahni Sweets.
- The Baradari Palace, Baradari Gardens, ☎ .
- Hotel Garden Resorts, Phatak, Rajbaha Road, Green View Colony, ☎ .
- Hotel Grand Park, Bhupendar Road, Model Town, ☎ . closed?
- Green's Hotel, The Mall.
- Hotel Flyover Classic, Near Railway Station, ☎ .
- Hotel Eqbal Inn, S.S.T Nagar, Rajpura Road, ☎ .
- Hotel Narain Continental, Chotti Bharadari, ☎ .
- Hotel Prince Palace, Bus Stand Road,, ☎ .