(Redirected from Phimai Historical Park)
Local buses run approx. every 20 minutes (06:00-19:00) from the nearby provincial capital of Nakhon Ratchasima (also known as Khorat). The local bus may stop on the road leading to the Khmer ruins; if you see a Khmer temple, by all means get off.
From points north, disembark at Talad Kae, and wait for the local bus as above. The fare from Nong Khai is 200 baht to Talad Kae, and then 13 baht from there to Phimai.
The town itself is quite small and can be easily explored on foot. Visiting the Banyan Tree requires renting a bicycle, motorbike, or taxi.
- Phimai Historical Park (ปราสาทหินพิมาย). opens daily from 07:30. The Khmer temples are among the best-preserved in Thailand and similar (if much smaller) than those at Angkor Wat. Parts of the park are older than Angkor Wat. Includes Khmer buildings, sculptures leading to the shrine, restaurant, and gift shop. 100 baht for foreigners.
The largest banyan tree in Thailand is located approximately 2 km outside the centre of town.
The night market takes place every evening in the centre of town (16:00-21:00). The Monday market takes place each Monday on the outskirts of town, near the new bus terminal and the Phimai Inn. The 8 market takes place on the 8th, 18th, and 28th of each month beyond the South Gate of Phimai, alongside the road leading to Baitey's and the Vocational School.
The night market offers cheap, if sometimes unidentifiable, food.
- Baitey's Restaurant (1 km south of the city centre). Serves popular Thai and Chinese dishes, along with a few Western staples, in a scenic open-air setting.
The most obvious choice for late-night entertainment in the centre of town is the restaurant next to the 7-Eleven and across from the night market. It serves beer and whiskey until 01:00-02:00, and is popular with young Thais (and foreigners), who gather for celebrations and musical performances. There's daily live guitar and singing. There are also various karaoke bars scattered in and around the city.
- Boonsiri Guesthouse, 228 Jomsudasadej Rd (50 m from Phimai Historical Park in the centre of Phimai.), ☎ , fax: +66 44 471159, e-mail: email@example.com. Clean and central. Social area upstairs, library, and Thai cafe with Western breakfasts. Dorm, 150 baht; fan room, 400 baht; air-con room, 500 baht..
- Khru Pom Restaurant & Guesthouse, 276 Moo 2, Naimuang Rd (30 m down a small lane just beside the downtown 7-Eleven), ☎ +66 44 471541, +66 83 9930251. Clean, modern rooms with air-con. Excellent restaurant: try the fish fried with lemon grass. from 300 baht.
- Moon River Home Stay, ☎ . Thai-style elevated bungalows with covered terraces line the river just opposite the National Museum. A ten minute walk from the town centre and the Khmer temple/Prasat Hin. Hot showers, TV, free Internet; breakfast optional. Owner Khun Chin speaks English and German. The river is safe to swim and great fun, too! Bungalow for two with air-con is 600 baht, with fan, 400 baht..
- Phimai Hotel. In the heart of the town offers air-conditioned rooms.
- Phimai Inn. A slightly more up-scale lodging and has a swimming pool and restaurant, but is a hike from town.
|Routes through Phimai|
|Nong Khai ← Khon Kaen ←||N S||→ Nakhon Ratchasima → Saraburi|