Qom is a province in Central Iran.
- Qom - The capital.
- Qom train station, ☎ +98/(0)251/6617141.
Driving from Tehran might be a reasonable option, however, if you're worried about driving in Iran you can reserve a private bus to take you to Qom. After all, it is much safer to travel by private buses.
There is a pretty impressive bus and taxi system, which has many bus routes to Tehran and other cities. It is very cheap to travel by local buses in Qom. Private tour buses are generally much more expensive.
Shi'a Muslims believe the Islamic redeemer, known as Mahdi, will come to save humanity along with Jesus (also known as Isa) one day. Shi'a Muslims believe that the Mahdi is hiding in a well behind the Jamkaran Mosque and will one day appear from the well. Pilgrims to the Mosque will write prayers down and drop the prayers into the well for the Mahdi.
- Jamkaran Mosque. The mosque is reserved for Muslims only.
- Mar'ashi Najafi Library. Library has over 500,000 handwritten texts
- Shrine of Fatima-al-Massumeh. The Holy Shrine is the burial place of "Fatema È Massumeh". Women must wear a chador to enter.
- Howzeh lake: Rich in natural spring water which is said to purify the heart.
- Feyze seminary: The place which devout Muslims gather up to meet and hear speeches from the religious leaders.
Qom has many carpet and sweet (candy) shops. Qom is famous for it's "sohan," a flat sweet biscuit made of pistachios and saffron. "Gaz", a nougat candy is also available. Qom is also known for the unique and beautiful silk rugs which are famous worldwide for their unique silk and patterns. Naturally, as one of Islam's holy cities there are numerous religious shops which sell religious books, versions of the Koran and cassettes.
There are lots of places to eat in Qom which range from old style Persian restaurants to international restaurants. Persian restaurants offer a more authentic cultural atmosphere than international restaurants.
Drinks are forbidden in Islam, thus the only types of drinks you will be experiencing there will be non-alcoholic.