Ranchi is located on the Chotanagpur plateau, at a height of 2,140 feet above sea level.The entire area is generally covered with red soil. Extensive forests around Ranchi are composed mainly of sal, gambhar, asan, kend, simul and mahua. Bears, sambar, chital, nilgai and hares are found in the forests. Summer afternoons are hot but evenings and nights are cool and enjoyable(maximum 40 degrees centigrade, min 16 degrees centigrade). It is cool/cold in winter (maximum 25 degrees centigrade and minimum 0 degrees centigrade). Annual rainfall is 1530 mm.
Languages spoken are Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Maithili, Sadri, Oraon, Mundari and some dialects. English is not a common language but is well understood at most of the tourist spots. Even if it is not understood at a place, people are willing to help around with interpretation.
The Ranchi Airport (Code: IXR) is located in Hinoo. It is approximately 7 km from the city centre and 1 km from the nearest Hatia railway station. The airport name is Birsa Munda Airport.
- Air India (previously Indian Airlines) operates a Mumbai-Delhi-Ranchi flight. Check Flight Schedule
Recently Go Air) has added another daily flight between Delhi - Ranchi - Mumbai.
- Jet Airways operates flights from Delhi and to Delhi.
- Jet Airways operates 2 daily flights from-Kolkata-Ranchi-Kolkata flight.
- Jet Lite operates Mumbai-Ranchi-Mumbai Daily flight. .
Ranchi is connected by rail to important places all over the country. Hatia is a station next to Ranchi and serves as terminus for many of the trains. Given below are some of the convenient trains. The first number is for the train from Ranchi and second for the train to Ranchi.
- 8616/8615 Hatia Howrah Express
- 8624/8623 Hatia Patna Express
- 8622/8621 Hatia Patna Pataliputra Express
- 8611/8612 Ranchi Garhwa Banaras Inter-City Express
- 3352/3351 Dhanbad Bokaro Allepy Express *8601/8602 Hatia Jammu Tawi Express
- 5027/5028 Hatia Gorakhpur Mayurya Express
- 8451/8452 Hatia Puri Tapaswini Express
- 8608/8607 Ranchi Baidyanathdham Express.
- 2020/2019 Ranchi Howrah Shatabdi Express (Except Sunday)
- 3304/3303 Hatia Dhanbad Inter-City Express (Except Sunday)
- 2439/2440 Ranchi New Delhi Rajdhani Express (Biweekly),
- 8603/8604 Hatia Delhi Jharkhand Swarna Jayanti Express (via Barkakhana) (Triweekly)
- 8605/8606 Hatia Delhi Jharkhand Swarna Jayanti Express (via Gomoh) (Triweekly)
- 8609/8610 Ranchi Lokmanya Tilak Express (Weekly)
- 2812/2811 Hatia Lokmanya Tilak Express (Weekly)
- 2835/2836 Hatia Yeshwantpur Express (Bi-weekly)
- 3403/3404 Ranchi Bhagalpur Vananchal Express (via Andal) (Triweekly)
- 3405/3406 Ranchi Bhagalpur Vananchal Express (Biweekly)
- 5661/5662 Ranchi Kamakhya (Guwahati) Express (Biweekly).
Ranchi is well connected by a network of roads with all the neighbouring cities and towns. The distance to some important locations are as follows: Bokaro 110 km, Dhanbad 170 km, Jamshedpur 140 km, Chaibasa 130 km, Hazaribagh 100 km, Gaya 220 km, Patna 340 km, Barhi (on NH 2 Grand Trunk Road) 136 km, Rourkela 250 km, Kolkata 415 km. Bus connections are available for almost all cities and towns in the area.
You can travel to Simdega, Chaibasa, Jamudag, Lohardaga and other places using Lily Travels Delux bus service from Ranchi City.
Hired cars, autorickshaws and cycle rickshaws are available for local transportation. Ranchi like a number of other cities in North India, has a concept of share auto. The share autos operate along fixed routes and take in as many passengers as physically possible. Fares vary depending upon the route. City buses also ply on designated routes for most of hours.
- Kanke Dam
- Dhurva Dam- A reservoir on the outskirts of the city. An excellent place to enjoy a scenic sunset view.
- Rock Garden - A beautiful place to hang out with friends, families, relatives and loved ones. Entry ticket Rs.10 per adult. Vehicle parking facilities available.
- Tagore Hill- at Morabadi, about 5 km from the heart of the city, is about 300 ft. above its base. The elder brother of Rabindranath Tagore, Jyotirindranath Tagore purchased the hillok Morabadi and built up an ashram after the suicide of his wife Kadambari Devi.
- Ranchi Lake - excavated in 1842, it is centrally situated. The lake has boating facilities.
- Deer Park - 16 km on Ranchi-Khunti Road
- Bhagwan Birsa Jaiwik Udyaan, Ormanjhi. This is an excellent biological park to visit.
- Pahari Mandir – Located on a small hill, off Ratu Road which is about 2 km from Main Road. It gives an excellent 360-degree view of the city. A must visit.
- Durga Pooja, Across all locations in the city. Dashehara time: One of the best poojas the country has... the atmosphere, the feel, the decorations, the Goddess statue, the people ... just amazing.
- Aqua World (Machhli Ghar). An aquarium, game parlor and food court are worth seeing and good values.
- nakshtra van.
- Rukka Dam (8 kms from booty more). A big dam on the outskirts of the city.It offers an excellent ambiance for picnic and recreation.
- jaganath temple.
- JSCA cricket stadium-located in HEC area, world class stadium with modern facilities.
- Science city, chirondi (near morhabdi). A good place to take children, showing wonders of science in a entertaining way. Even adults would enjoy.
- Kashmir Vastralaya
- Big Shop
- Saloni, GEL Church Complex
- Vishal Mega Mart
- Chandu sales
- Rekha Sales Corporation. [CDs/DVDs,HandyCams,CyberShot]
- Rekha Electronic & Mobile [Mobiles & Accessories, World Space]
- Yashvi Enterprises [Mobiles & Accessories]
- Reliance Mart, Kanke Road, Ranchi. Buy everything from fresh green vegetables to life style products
- Dhanuka, Mitra Market, Upper Bazar. Towels, Bedsheets & Furnishing
- Kanodia textile co. (Sapnay), shradhanand road, (upper bazar). wide range of bedsheets ,cotton prints
- Big Bazar, Main Road (Near Overbridge). New Shopping experience in Mall
- Reliance Mart, Kanke Road, Ranchi (Rock garden). Buy everything from green vegetables to life style products.
- Dhanuka, Mitra Market - Upper Bazar. Towels and Bedsheet.
- Kanodia textile co. (Sapnay), shradhanand road,. wholesale merchant,wide range of fancy bedsheets,brand name sapnay
- Jassi Gifts, churuwala chowk, upper bazaar, ranchi (near churuwla chowk).
- J D High Street Mall, Main Road. First Mall of Ranchi. Situated just in front of famous G.E.L. Church Complex. It has Glitz, a Three Screen Multiplex. And many other Branded shops & Gaming Zone is there in this Mall.
- Spring City Mall, Hinoo. Newly opened Mall near Ranchi Airport. It is going to host Multiplex Fun Cinema. It has the Food Court, Lemon n Ice & Maya Life Style Shoppee. And more r likely to open sooner or later. Abhi
- PUMA, Main Road. This is showroom of one of the best sports garments and accessories.
On Main Road
- Kaveri Restaurant, GEL Church Complex - Has a collection of North Indian and Chinese dishes. A meal for two would cost close to Rs. 300
- Krsna Hotel, GEL Church Complex - Very similar menu and prices as Kaveri
- Punjab Sweet House, Opposite GEL Church Complex - Marvelous collection of sweets and chaat items
- Birsa Vihar Birsa Complex,
- Dakshini, near Sujata Cinema Hall,M.G.Road.
- Food Plaza,, ☎ . Opposite Gurudwara,M.G.Road,
- Marwari Kalewalay,, ☎ . It has many franchisee in Ranchi,
- Maruti Watika,, ☎ .
- Sudarshan Restaurant,, ☎ .
- Kathi Kabab,, ☎ .
- Chinar, - it's preparation of non-veg is marvelous in Ranchi.
- Capitol Hill - Buffet meals @ Rs.240 per head, awesome variety of food to choose from. opposite GEL Church Complex M.G.Road,Ranchi.
- Capitol Residency - Buffet meals @ Rs.240 per head, awesome variety of food to choose from. opposite The Ranchi Railways Station, on Station Road.
- ChuruWala - famous for sweets - top and town near road no 2;asoknagar
- GreenHorizon - on Station Road - one of the best non-veg resturant.
- Alora Bar & Restaurant
- Birsa D Bar & Restaurant, Birsa Chowk, Khuti Road
- Hangul Bar & Restaurant,, ☎ +91 651 207780-81-82/83. Hotel Chinar,
- Natraj Restaurant & Bar, Telephone +91 651 209383,307087
- Neelum Bar Restaurant,, ☎ .
- Saqi Bar & Restaurant, Kanke Road
- Hotel Green Horizon Station Road Ranchi 06516458522,06516458533
- Hotel Element,, ☎ . Station Road,
- Hotel Capitol Hill, Main Road,, ☎ .
- Hotel Capital Residency,, ☎ . Station Road,
- Hotel Greenridge Avenue, Station Road
- South Eastern Railway Hotel,, ☎ . Station Road,
- Hotel Konark,, ☎ . Station Road,
- Hotel Kwality Inns,, ☎ . Station Road,
- Hotel Amrit,, ☎ . Station Road,
- Hotel Satkar,, ☎ . Station Road,
- Hotel Chinar,, ☎ . Main Road, - 84
- Hotel Embassy,, ☎ . Main Road, - 84
- Hotel Hindustan, Main Road, Telephone +91 651 206032/206039/ 205565
- Gujrat Hotel,, ☎ . Near Taxi Stand, Main Road,
- Sartaj Hotel,, ☎ . Main Road,
- Hotel Annapurna, Main Road, +91 651 311352
- Hotel Basera,, 5 Main Road. Telephone +91 651 312893, +91 651 207237
- New Sisai Hotel,, ☎ . Taxi Stand, Main Road,
- Hotel Yuvraj Palace,, ☎ . Doranda, - 27
- Hotel Ranchi Ashok,, ☎ . Doranda, Hinoo,
- Hotel Crown,, ☎ . Plaza, Birsa Chowk, Hinoo,
- Anand Hotel,, ☎ . Line Tank Road,
- Ganga Ashram Hotel,, ☎ . Kutchery Road,
- Hotel Apsara,, ☎ . 48 A, Circular Road,
- Hotel Rajasthan,, ☎ . Circular Road, Lalpur,
- Palace Hotel,, ☎ . Kadru,
- Hotel Park,, ☎ . Kadru Road, (updated)
- Hotel Akash Ganga,, ☎ . North Market Road,
- Hotel Akashwani,, ☎ . Ratu Road,
- Hotel Aloka,, ☎ . Radium Road,
- Hotel Anuraag,, ☎ . Radhey Shyam Lane,
- Hotel Arya,, ☎ . Hazaribagh Road,
- Hotel Ashirvad,, ☎ . Court Compound,
- Hotel Highland,, ☎ . Old Hazaribagh Road,
- Hotel Maharaja,, ☎ . Radium Road,
- Hotel Natraj,, ☎ . Radhey Shyam Lane,
- Hotel Natraj Mini,, ☎ . Opp. Daily Market,
- Hotel New Rajasthan,, ☎ . Hazaribagh Road, Lalpur Chowk,
- Hotel Sanjay,, ☎ . Hazaribagh Road,
- Hotel Savera,, ☎ . Kadeu Chowk,
- Hotel Siddhartha,, ☎ . Bangla School Lane, O.C. Cmpnd,
- Hotel Swaraj,, ☎ . S.N. Ganguly Road,
- Hotel Anjali, ☎ . Purulia Road,
- Little Italy, Opp. Khukri Petrol Pump, Near Overbridge. A great place to have italian cuisine
- Green Acres (Hotel), Airport Road, ☎ . , 06516458599
- Hotel Radisson Blu, Main Road, Kadru Division(opposite Chambers of commerce), Ranchi, ☎ .
Do not be carried away by media coverage of stray incidents. Those desirous of travelling out of town, particularly at night, should check with local people, say the hotel management, about the law and order situation in a particular area. However, it is not advisable to venture out late in the evening/ night even in unknown localities of the city unless one is fully aware of that area.
In case of a healthcare emergency, ambulance can be sought from Orchid Medical Centre ( http://www.orchidmedcentre.com ) by calling 0651-2219501/2/3/4
- Hundru Falls – about 28 km from Ranchi, on Subarnarekha River, the water falls from a height of 320 feet.
- Jonha Falls - also known as Gautmadhara falls , about 18 km, it is approachable by road and from Gautamdhara railway staion on the Ranchi-Muri section.
- Dassam Falls - about 40 km on Ranchi Jamshedpur Road, near Taimara village, on Kanchi river, the water falls from a height of about 144 feet.
- Hirni Falls – about 90 km on the Ranchi Chakradharpur Road.
- Rajrappa Falls - about 65 km from Ranchi, also Chhinamasta temple. One has to go to Ramgarh (on the Ranchi-Hazaribagh Road) and then take the road to Bokaro. The falls are at the confluence of the river Damodar and Bhera.
- Netarhat – 144 km from Ranchi, the ‘Queen of Chotanagpur’ at a height of 3622 feet above sea level.
- Bokaro steel city- 128 km from Ranchi, One of the best planned City in country and a industrial giant city surrounded by greenery and well layout infrastructure.
- Patna – 350 km from Ranchi, AC Deluxe Buses Available from ITDC Ranchi Ashoka, BSTDC/JSTDC Birsa Vihar main Road..
- Bodhgaya – 200 km from Ranchi, Place of Budha Enlightnment. Buse/Train available to Gaya
- Sun Temple – Situated about 39 km from Ranchi on the way to Dassam Falls. Private buses or jeeps available from Khadgarha bus stand.
- Pahari Mandir – Situated at an altitude of 2140 feet from the sea level. There is a temple of God Shiva at the top of the hill from where the whole city can be seen.
- Tagore Hills – Situated at Morhabadi. It is about 300 feet high and about 3 km from Elbert Ekka Chowk.It is said number of books were written by Rabindra Nath Tagore on the top of the hill. It is panormic view from the top pf the hill. A great part of Ranchi can be seen from this place.