Traveling from Delhi, Roorkee is located towards north approximately 170 kilometers. Take the highway NH-58 (Delhi - Haridwar - Sri Badrinath Ji) , and it passes through Roorkee. The city of Haridwar is located further on the same highway about 29 kilometers from Roorkee. In addition, the Panchkula (Chandigarh) - Yamunanagar - Roorkee NH-73 also serves an important route whhile coming from Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, J & K etc.
The main bus depot of Roorkee is located on NH-58. Several buses run from various cities in North India (includes the cities from Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, New Delhi, J & K and Punjab).
Nearest airport to Roorkee is Dehradun's Jolly Grant airport which has Indian Airlines services from New Delhi. But most preferable airport nearest from Roorkee is the New Delhi International Airport which is about 200 kilometers away.
Easiest way to get to Roorkee is by train. The Roorkee city station is located on Kolkata (Howrah) - Amritsar Main Railway Line. There are several trains connecting Roorkee daily from various cities of India.
IMPORTANT TRAINS: 01) Mumbai (Lok Manya Tilak Terminus) - Haridwar A/c Special S/F Exp., 02) Mumbai (Bandra Terminus) - Dehra Dun Exp., 03) Chennai - Dehra Dun S/F Exp., 04)Kolkata (Howrah Jn) - Amritsar Punjab Mail, 05) Kolkata (Sealdah) - Jammu Tawi Exp., 05)New Delhi - Dehra Dun A/c Exp., 06) New Delhi - Dehra Dun Shatabdi Exp., 06) New Delhi - Dehra Dun Janshatabdi Exp., 07) Guwahati - Jammu Tawi Lohit Exp., 08)Gorakhpur - Jammu Tawi Amarnath Exp., 09)Jamshedpur (Tata Nagar) - Amritsar Jalianwala Bagh Exp., 10)Ahmedabad - Haridwar Haridwar Mail, 11)Indore - Dehra Dun Intercity Exp., 12)Sri Ganga Nagar - Haridwar Intercity Exp., 13) Lucknow - Chandigarh Intercity Exp, 14)Amritsar - Haridwar Jan Shatabdi Exp., 15) Ujjain - Dehra Dun Ujjayni Exp., 15) Puri - Haridwar Kalinga-Utkal Exp., 16)Kochuveli - Dehra Dun Super Deluxe Exp., 16) Jodhpur/Barmer - Haridwar Link Exp., 17)Okha - Dehra Dun Uttaranchal Exp., 18)Muzaffarpur - Ambala Cantt. Harihar Exp., 19)Dhanbad - Firozpur Ganga-Satluz Exp., 20) Valsad - Haridwar S/F Exp.
In addition, several other express/ mail trains, passenger/ shuttle trains, summer special trains and festival special trains etc. are also having their stoppages at Roorkee City Station.
Roorkee is connected by trains to various important Indian cities like New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Jammu Tawi, Dehra Dun, Lucknow, Varanasi, Gorakhpur, Tata Nagar, Patna, Puri, Guwahati, Jodhpur,Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Jam Nagar, Bhopal, Ujjain, Indore, Raipur, Puri, Bhubaneswar, Ernakulam etc.
The common ways to get around the City: Vikram Auto Rickshaw and Cycle Rickshaw. Walking is recommended in certain Old City areas.
- Main building & IIT Campus, IIT Roorkee
- War Memorial, Roorkee Cantt.
- Bann Ganga Wetland
- Himalayan Eco Park, Haridwar Road
- Boat Club, IITR, Roorkee
- A walk along Canal Banks (Roorkee Haat)
- Solani River - Upper Ganga Canal Aqueduct
- Walk around Upper Ganga canal near IRI
- Civil Lines, Main Bazar, Sapper Bazar etc. for shopping
- Temples: Shiv Mandir, Prem Mandir, Saraswati Mandir, Sri Ram Mandir etc.
- Shopping Complexes: Vishal Mega Mart, Shiv Complex, Tyagi Market etc.
- Institutions:College of Engineering Roorkee, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee; Irrigation Research Institute, Roorkee; Irrigation Design Organisation, Roorkee; National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee; Central Building Research Institute, Roorkee, District Institute of Education and Training, Roorkee; Roorkee School for Deaf and Dumb, Roorkee; Bengal Engineers Group and Centre, Roorkee Cantt. etc.
- Jain Mandir, Kanoongoyan.
- Patanjali Yogpeeth, New Haridwar Road.
- Patanjali Yogpeeth, New Haridwar Road.
(01.) Flower Shows organised by National Institute of Hydrology, Central Building Research Institute, Bengal Engineers Group and Centre, Afro Asian Hoste, IIT Roorkee etc. (02.) All India Festivals like THOMSO (IIT Roorkee Annual Cultural Show), COGNIZANCE (IIT Roorkee All India Annual Technical Festival), SHRISHSTI (All India Techno Hobby Exhibition, National and International Conferences/Seminars etc. (03.) Different Business Fairs (04.) All India Mushaira by Anjuman Farog-E-Adab (05.) Kanvan Festival during July-August
Shopping is a must in Roorkee. Roorkee is basically famous for its drawing and survey cottage industry. Several stores of various groups are there (export houses cum show rooms etc.) for the purpose. In addition, Window Shopping and Shopping in Civil Lines, Main Bazaar, and Sapper Market are different experiences.
Hotel & Restaurants: Motel Polaris, Hotel Godavari, Hotel Centre Point, Hotel Grand Premdoot,Hotel Divine International, Hotel Siddharth etc. Restaurants: Dynasty, Divine, Prakash, Laguna, Kavery, Mayur etc. Fast Food Joints: Domino, Pizza Hot, Patiala Lassi Centre etc. Oldy Goldy: Andhe Ke Chole, B.T.Ganj, Punjabi Dhaba, Opp. State Roadways Bus Stand, etc.
Food: Hotel Center Point Roorkee 01332274050 Coffee: (01.) Cafe Coffee Day, Haridwar Road, (02.) Nescafe Cafetaria, Near Campus Post Office, IIT Roorkee, (03.) Other Coffee Shops and Restaurants Bars: Hotel Urvashi, Hotel Divine International etc. Cold Drinks/Lassi etc.: (01.) Patiala Lassi Centre, (02.) Hapineez, GPO Road etc.
Hotel Center Point ,Hotel Godavari, Hotel Divine International, Hotel Dynasty, Hotel Urvashi, Hotel Siddharth, Hotel Prakash etc.
- Hotel Mandakini, NH-73,Village kishnapur,dehradun road,roorkee,uttranchal, ☎ . Check-in: 24 Hours, check-out: 12 Noon. Hotel Mandakini is newely built hotel with 40 spacious and luxurious rooms.Hotel Have swimming Pool,Restaurants and Conference hall in it.it is just next to the Building of Hotel Sarover in Roorkee. 1400.
- HOTEL KRISH RESIDENCY, 22, Civil Lines, Near IIT Centuy Gate, Roorkee (Roorkee Talkis Chowk), ☎ . Check-in: all day, check-out: 12.00 pm. Fully Ac luxurious rooms, Lift Facility, Secured & Covered Parking, 24 Hours Room Service, Best Food in the town. Just 500 mtrs away from City Bus Stand, At the gateway of IIT Roorkee Starting from Rs.1400.