Siófok is a town on the south coast of Lake Balaton. The charming little town is one of the most popular holiday resorts in Hungary. The population is around 35,000 people but in the summer season there is another 200,000 people being on vacation at the same time. The name of the city means Cape Sió (Sió is a river bringing water into river Danube).
Siófok is mostly famous of its huge nightlife and the never ending parties specially in the weekends. The town is often called "the partying capital of Hungary". But it is important to know that outside of the town centre there are many quiet and peaceful beaches and strands for every age groups. The party season usually begins by the start of the summer break at schools and the end of the spring term at universities which is the end of June, early July. The last party events are on the final weekend before the start of school.
- Tourinform Siófok, Víztorony, Fő tér 11, ☎ , fax: +36 84 310117, e-mail: email@example.com. Jun-Sep daily, off season Monday closed and shorter opening time.
Siófok is located on a fairly flat area at the south-east end of Balaton. As the north shore is quite hilly the wind usually hits the south coast bringing some random heavy storms usually in late June but other than that the climate is very hot all summer specially in August when the temperature can go up to 35 degrees in Celsius. People who don't like too hot weather can travel to the lake in May when it is not that hot but warm enough to jump in the water and to get suntanned.
Many tourists come to the city every summer (more and more every year). About 60% of the tourists come from Germany and there is a history of German tourism to Lake Balaton. Many school trips take place in the town with students arriving mostly from Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Italy, Poland and Slovakia.
There is a small international airport in Sármellék about an hour away from Siófok with flights arriving from many European cities especially London, Zürich, Dublin, Stockholm, Berlin and Frankfurt. The town can be connected to many parts of the World by using Budapest's international airports  which are circa 150 kilometers from Siófok.
Siófok can be accessed directly from the M7 motorway (part of European Routes E65 and E71) or using national route 7, which is passing through the city.
- Siófok Railway station, Kálmán Imre sétány 1. Trains Budapest,Déli pályaudvar railway station, taking about an hour and forty minutes (faster with InterCity Express). Nagykanizsa west. There is a daily train between Venice and Budapest which stops at Siófok (and other cities like Ljubljana and Trieste, by Venezia Experss).
- Hungarian State Railways
- Bus Station (Autóbusz-állomás, Kapos Volán), Fő utca 71-81 (Right next to Railway Station), ☎ . Kapos Volán is the local bus company.
- Port of Siofok, Krúdy sétány 2.
Siófok may not have a huge population, but in the summer it is capable of hosting hundreds of thousands of people. As most of the visitors are interested in the Lake Balaton, the city has a length of almost 15 kilometers. The most practical way of getting around is using a bicycle or a moped, both of which can be rented in Siófok for ~8 / ~15 Euros per day, respectively.
Siófok has a local bus system; the local transportation company charges ~1.5 Euros per trip. As the city has four train stops along the Budapest-Nagykanizsa railroad, it is very common to take the train from one end of the city to the city center or to the other end. It is probably the fastest way, although it takes quite a planning as trains stopping at each of the stations are a bit rare.
Taxis have a flat rate which changes from summer to summer. 10-15 Euros per trip is general.
- Visitation of Our Lady Church (Sarlós Boldogasszony templom), Fő utca (Centre).
- Museum of Egg (Tojásmúzeum), Szücs utca 9.
- Sio Canal (Sio Csatorna).
- Water Tower, ☎ . Jun–Sep daily 9.00–24.00, Oct–May Mon: closed, Tu-Th: 10:00-17:00, F: 10:00-21:00, Sa: 10:00-22:00, Su: 10:00-17:00. Here is also the Tourinform.
- Coke Club (the old Coca Cola Beach House) the main beach resort is the #1 attraction in town. The place offers many activities for visitors to do something more than just being on the sun. These activities include beach volleyball (organised amateur championships as well), swimming pool, streetball court, tennis, ping-pong, water polo and volleyball in shallow water, live concerts on the main stage, excersise shows on the main sandy beach, bars, restaurants, dancefloors all around the resort.
- Free access beaches are usually less crowded. Families tend to like these better. These are usually less noisy.
- Galerius Thermal Spa and Wellness Centre Siófok-Szabadifürdő, Szent László utca 183. In the summer of 2006 Siófok's newest thermal spa was opened to put Siófok onto the map of wellness centres in Hungary. The spa was named after the Roman Caesar Galerius and is opened all year. The complex is provided with water from Nagyberény which is circa 15 km to the south from Siófok. Guests enjoy bathing and relaxing in the warm (33-37°C) geothermal water that comes up from 1091 m deep, known for its positive effects on the skin and the bones.
- Have a breakfast watching over the new main square of the city, then take a walk to find the local goods and souvenirs.
- Get on a boat to see Siófok from another perspective, and visit Balatonfüred or famous Tihany.
- There are several annual sailing races for those preferring competition. For boat rentals go to Siófok Marina to the west from the main port. A 8m yacht from about HUF 30000/day (EUR 120/day).
- Kite surfing. Is getting very popular on Lake Balaton and there is a beach where everyone can have a go after a quick lesson. For more information get in touch with the providers firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Millenium Park, Kálmán udvar (Next to the Station). 24/7. Free.
Traditional Hungarian food made by locals can be tasted if you come in August, when the Bogrács fesztivál (Cauldron festival) takes place. Several different types of goulash, Hungarian fish soup are just a few of the dishes you want to give a chance to.
- Hernyo Shopping Centre, Semmelweis utca 2.
- Penny Market (Penny Market diszkontáruház), Vak Bottyán utca 4 (Center), e-mail: email@example.com. Daily. Discount store chain.
- McDonald's, Vak Bottyán utca 2. Fast food.
- Sándor Restaurant, Erkel Ferenc utca 30. . If someone feels like having a traditional Hungarian meal with friendly service then this is the place to go. The restaurant can be found just outside of the town centre. It offers party service as well and it has been voted into the top 100 restaurants in Hungary in 2002.
- Mala Garden, Petőfi sétány 15./a . This place is a special design hotel and restaurant. On the menu you can find Hungarian specialities and Asian foods as well. The whole building and the interieur has been inspired by the modern architecture of Bali Island.
- Amigo Restaurant and Pizzeria, Fo Utca 99. Not a Mexican Restaurant despite the name. Open all year round - great pizzas from a wood fired pizza oven. Hungarian dishes too. Very reasonably priced.
- Marcipán Café and Confectionary offers petit déjeuner, cakes, coffees at a reasonable price in the very heart of the city. Address here.
- Strand Snack Bar (Strand Büfé), Deák Ferenc sétány 15-17 (On the Lakeshore).
Café Móló, Szent István sétány 1. . Café Móló is one of the most popular bars in Siófok. It's not the cheapest place so it is mostly visited by people over the age of 25. There is a sandy beach right in front of the restaurant so you can enjoy the sunset whilst having a colourful cocktail.
Bacardi Music Café, Petőfi sétány 5. . During the day this terraced place is a cocktail bar and osteria. When the night begins they open the dancefloor in the back and it often ends up in great parties.
- Hotel Agro, Siofok-szabadifürdő, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel that can host 200 people, close to the Galerius Spa. from 15 EUR/night/Person.
- Hotel Azur, Vitorlás utca 11, ☎ , fax: +36 84 501427. a modern, family friendly hotel Twin for one / two person(s) €55/110 double for one / two person(s) €49/98 suite for two / three persons €150/226 Local tax: 400 HUF/night/person (18+ years old), Parking fee: 1500 HUF/night/car. Two courses lunc HUF3500 per person(Mid-Season prices) all year action 3=4, 5=7 nights.
- Caesar apartments and rooms, Vitorlás u. 9. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. Apartments and cheap rooms in the city center only 200m from the beach
- Siófok Hotel Lidó (Siófok Hotel Lidó), Siófok Petőfi sétány 11, ☎ . Check-in: 10:00, check-out: 14:00. Family owned hotel directly at the beach with lake view from hotel room at an affordable rate in Siofok 18 EUR.
- Hotel Molo, Vitorlás utca 16 (Lakeshore next to Hotel Yacht Club), ☎ , e-mail: INFO@HOTELMOLO.HU. ***. phone=+36 84 319004. In high season rooms only with half board in other time optional, weekend, single supplement Low Season / Mid-Season / High Season from 8300 / 10 500 / 20000 per person, extra bed 4500-11500 different about season, age and catering.
- Pater family hotel with apartments, Siofok Kinizsi u. 11, e-mail: email@example.com. 2 swimming pools, air-conditioning, restaurant at the beach entrance in the city center. from 15 EUR/night/Person.
- Solero Hotel in the centre, Siofok Batthyany str. 25, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Centrally located accommodation with wellness possibilities nearby. from 14-27 EUR/night/Person.
- Hotel Yacht Club, Restaurant & Bar, Vitorlás utca 14 (Behind Hotel Yacht Club), ☎ . ***. Wellness - Spa, For Trainings, Events, Weddings, Beauty. Low Season / Mid-Season / High Season. Sgl room HUF12200-13800/13500-14 700/15700-16600; Double for one person 14,400/15300/19900; Standard twin HUF9200/10700/11200, Deluxe double 11 000/12200/15800 (prices of weekends are higher 10-15%), Family room for two pers. 12 950/13 950/17500, Adult extra bed and breakfast (apartment also) HUF6000/7000/8000; Surcharge breakfast for children 6-14 years old HUF6000/8000/10000, Half Board HUF4000/4000/4000, Full board (3-course lunch) HUF6500/6500/6500.
- City Hospital (Siófok Város Kórház-Rendelőintézet), Semmelweis utca 1 (Center), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Fonyód — another bigger resort town on the southern lakeshore
|Routes through Siófok|
|Nagykanizsa ← Fonyód ←||W E||→ Székesfehérvár → Budapest|