With a population of over half a million, Siliguri is the third largest city in West Bengal.
As one of the most important transportation hubs in the north east, Siliguri has recently become something of a boom town. Sprawling and boisterous, modern condominiums dominate the landscape on entering the town, followed by endless streets of market stalls that surround a core of up-scale shops and shopping malls. Due to its position as a shopping and business hub and its high concentration of colleges and institutes of learning, the city enjoys a sophistication and range of shopping found in metro cities. It is the only city in West Bengal, other than Kolkata, to have a commercial airport.
- Siliguri has three railway stations: New Jalpaiguri, Siliguri Junction and Siliguri Town. These stations connect Siliguri with different places across India. New Jalpaiguri is about a twenty to thirty minute ride from the city center. Now Siliguri Junction also has some long distance trains like Mahananda Express(up to New Delhi), Kanchankanya Express (up to Sealdah) etc.
Siliguri Bus Station is located across the street from the Sher-e-Punjab Hotel on Hill Cart Road (Tenzing Norgay Road).
- There are regular buses to/from Kolkata. The well-known and comfortable Siliguri Rocket, run by the North Bengal State Transport Corporation (NBSTC), leaves Kolkata at 8 PM arriving Siliguri at 8 AM (Rs. 245). Some private bus lines also ply the route. The 'Royal Cruiser' Volvo buses run by Gupta Travel (Tel: +91 353 251-3451) leaves Kolkata at 8 PM arriving Siliguri at 9 AM (Rs. 745 AC/Rs. 325 non-AC).
- Under a joint understanding between Indian and Bangladeshi transport authority, there are regular bus services to/from Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh. BRTC (Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation) buses leave Dhaka everynight at 8 PM and reach India-Bangladesh border at Changrabanda post at early morning. These buses will not cross the border and the passengers have to clear customs, walk a few hundred yards to cross the border and board the waiting Indian buses for another three hour ride to Siliguri. The buses are air conditioned, very comfortable and depart on time. One way fare from Dhaka to Siliguri is between USD 20 to 25, depending on conversion rates.
- There is a regular bus service from Phuentsholing in Bhutan and the Bhutanese border town of Jaigon. The bus from Phuentsholing heading towards Siliguri leaves at 7am,7:30am,8:15am and 3pm daily and takes approximately 4.5hrs.
- The closest major international airport is at Kolkata, approx 570km south of Siliguri. The Bagdogra Airport is just 14km from the heart of Siliguri and has links with most major Indian cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and Guwahati, while Druk Air operates flights from Bangkok twice a week (incoming in Sundays and Wednesdays, outgoing on Tuesdays and Saturdays). Flights on the Bangkok route begin or terminate in Paro, Bhutan. Taxis are available from the airport to Siliguri, as well as to Darjeeling and Gangtok, though these are expensive. Cheaper options are available from Siliguri bus station.
Moving in and around Siliguri is cheap. Cycle-rickshaws, auto-rickshaws, buses, taxis are easily available in almost every part of the city. Cycle-rickshaws can be hired to move around within the radius of 1-2 km. The fares are pretty nominal. To go about 5-10 km, one can hire/share auto-rickshaws. You just need to flag down one and when you leave you pay a fixed amount. Cars can be hired from several agencies.
- New Jalpaiguri railway staion.
- Siliguri Junction railway station.
- Siliguri Town railway station.
- Salugara Monastery, Salugara (7 km from Siliguri towards Sevoke). A monastery in the Kagyu tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. The compound includes a 100 foot stupa consecrated by the late Kalu Rinpoche.
- Kalchakra Monastery, Salugara. 15 - 20 minutes from Siliguri. The Kalchakra Monastery at Salugara was inaugurated by the Dalai Lama when he visited Salugara, a neighbourhood in Siliguri, for the Kalchakra ceremonies in 1996.
- Iskcon Temple. International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), also known as Hare Krishna Movement manages the ISCKON temple, Siliguri. The temple houses many beautiful idols of Advaita Acharya, Lord Narasimha, Lord Chaitanya and many more.
- Coronation Bridge (At Sevoke. This is about 23 km from the city on way to Gangtok/Kalimpong and Dooars on the National Highway 31.). One can see the turbulent Teesta roaring below.
- Sevoke Kali Mandir (At Sevoke.). This is around 20 kms from Siliguri, near the Coronation Bridge. This is a temple of goddess Kali, the goddess of destruction, and is considered very holy. People from far off places come here to pray and worship her.
- Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary (At Sukna.). This is a wildlife sanctuary at the foothills of the Himalayas. One can hire a vehicle and enter the sanctuary at a minimal entry fee. Different types of wild animals are found here. However it is famous for its wild elephants and peacocks. However, the sanctuary is closed in the rainy seasons, i.e. 15th July to 15th September.
- Tea Gardens (At Dagapur / Sukna). You can see some tea plantations
- Dudhia, Siliguri-Mirik Highway. A common tourist spot
- Science City (At Matigara.). The campus has a museum, a planetarium and an Interpretation Centre that displays various type of flora.
- Swimming. Viramma Club, Siliguri Club, Cinderella Club, Stadium Swimming Pool
- Club Cabana. Siliguri's most popular disco.
- Blue Mountain Club. A relaxing country-club with landscaped gardens. If you have a country club membership you can go to this club
- Kunchenjunga stadium. Matches, exhibitions and varied events.
- Netaji Indoor Stadium. Exhibitions and varied events.
- Tea Estate Tours. Visit the serene and spacious tea farms located in and around the city.
- Savin Kingdom. Dagapur (near Darjeeling More). An amusement park located among tea plantations.
- Basil Fun World, Fulbari. This is an amusement park located in the outskirts or Siliguri. However, one will have to hire a vehicle to go there because no public transport runs on that route.
Basically, Silguri sells its wares on two streets - Hillcart Road and Sevoke Road. The former offers more traditional stores and is home to many of the city's hotels, while Sevoke offers more upscale shopping and is the center of the city's banking.
As the centre of a tea growing area, Siliguri is an excellent place to pick up some Darjeeling and other brands of the leaf.
- Fab India, Cosmos Mall, Sevoke Road - a large branch of the national chain that specializes in hand spun material and natural soaps and cosmetics.
- Cosmos Mall, Sevoke Road. A large and up-scale mall.
- City Mall, Sevoke Road
- Orbit Mall, check post, Sevoke Road. Includes an INOX movie theatre.
- City Center, Uttarayon. A huge mall offering major brands and international chain eateries.
- Bidhan Market.
- Hong Kong Market, Hill Cart Road. Specializes in imported goods - mostly from China, but also from other Asian countries such as Nepal, Thailand, etc. However, beware of duplicate items. Even items made in Delhi stamped with "Made in China" are being sold here. Keep in mind that the actual price of the item will be 1/2 or 1/3rd of the price the shopkeeper asks.
- Nivedita Market
- Seth Srilal Market. buzzing market in the heart of the city . get the best deal in this mkt. also famous for its momo gali
- Badshah Biryani Hut, Rishi Aurobindo Road, ☎ 9641330010. Excellent Biriyani along with several other cuisines.
- The Cinderella Hotel, 3rd Mile, Sevok Road, ☎ . , 2547136Amrapali - Vegetarian multi-cuisine restaurant, Recoil - Bar, Sizzler - discotheque for private parties, Patio - Roof-top restaurant-cum-bar.
- Havelli, Hill Cart Road, Siliguri.. An excellent restaurant for fish and mutton items.
- Viramma, Viramma Resort, Dagapur..
- Sharma Sweets, Mahabirsthan.
- Rasoraj, Mahabirsthan.
- The Palms (Sinclairs), ☎ +91 0353 2517674 / 2512675 / 2512440. 7.30 am to 11 pm. Also: O3 lounge bar, 5 to 10.30 pm.
- Amber's Restobar (Saluja Residency), Hill Cart Road, ☎ . , 2431701 , 2431683Multi-cuisine restaurant and bar
- Ranjit, Hill Cart Road. South Indian cuisine plus others
- Rasoi, Sevoke Road. South Indian and Chinese cuisine
- Tai Wah, Sri Bhavan building, ground floor, Hill Cart Road (Opposite Century Park), ☎ . Chinese cuisine.
- Kalpana (Near Siliguri Town railway station). Bengali cuisine
- Kalpatru Pice Restaurant, Ramkrishna Commercial Complex, Sevoke Road, ☎ 91 353 2642893. Bengali cuisine
- Bhojohari Manna (Hotel Golden Moments), 143 Hill Cart Road. Bengali cuisine
- New Zaika Biryani House, Hill Cart Road, ☎ 9434689708. Mughlai dishes
- Sartaj, Hill Cart Road, ☎ . Good food, good ambience
- Momo Goli, Near Margaret School, walking from Siliguri Bus Stand..
- Bedwin, Bidhan Market, Old Bus Stand, ☎ . Known for its delicious Biryani.
- Monarch Restaurant, 10 Sevoke Rd, ☎ . Famous for Indian, Tandoori and Chinese dishes.
- Barista, Bidhan Road (next to Hotel Dolly)
- Cafe Coffee Day, Basement, Cosmos Mall, 2nd Mile Sevoke Road.
- Cafe Coffee Day, Savin Plaza, Dagapur, Cinemax.
- Cafe Coffee Day, Bidhan Market near Panitanki More
- Cafe Coffee Day, near Khela Ghor More
- O3 in Sinclairs. Worth checking out for a nice evening drink and snacks.
- Mainak Tourist Lodge, Hill Cart Road, Pradhan Nagar., ☎ . Not as grand on the inside as on the out, but still good value. Standard: single - 340Rs, double - 450Rs, Deluxe: single - 525Rs, double - 700Rs..
- Dewan's Hotel (near New Jalpaiguri railway station), ☎ . A simple hotel located just outside New Jalpaiguri (NJP) Station. After exiting station, turn into first alley on right (adjacent to the taxi parking lot). The hotel is at the end of the alley.
- Athithi Guest House, Hill Cart Road. A well maintained hotel at low rates with AC and non-AC rooms.
- Nine Ten Hotel, Navin Sen Circle, Sevoke Road (near Gurdwara), ☎ . Check-out: 12 noon. upto Rs. 1,000.
- Hotel Ranjit, 44, Hill Cart Road, Mahanandapara, ☎ . , 252 4053
- Hotel Golden Moments, 143 Hill Cart Road (Near Hasmi Chawk), ☎ , e-mail: , 91 92336 56407 , email@example.com. Non-AC ouble room: Rs. 753-2249, AC double room: Rs. 942-2698.
- Hotel Heritage, ☎ . Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar. Conveniently located across from the city's main interstate bus station, Heritage is a well maintained and efficiently run hotel. Rs. 500 non A/C to Rs. 2,500 for suite.
- Hotel Manila, ☎ . Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar. Located next to Hotel Heritage. Rs. 600 non A/C to Rs. 2,400 for suite.
- Hotel Central Plaza, ☎ . Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar. Located about five minute taxi ride from main bus station. Clean and acceptable facilities. Rs. 650 non A/C to Rs. 3,500 for suite.
- Marina's Motel, This is just a stones throw away from the IXB airport., ☎ . (Mr. Rajib)
- Barsana Hotel, ☎ . Khaprail Road, Matigara. A beautiful hotel with all the modern amenities. Very reasonable as per the infrastructure and facilities.
- Hotel Cindrella, ☎ . , 2547130A four star hotel on Sevoke Road. Rs. 4,500 - Rs. 12,000.
- Hotel Sinclairs, ☎ . Pradhan Nagar. A well maintained hotel with good facilities. Located about a five minute taxi ride from main bus station.
- Royal Sarovar Portico, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road. A smart hotel located on the outskirts of town. Convenient for Orbit and Cosmos Shopping Malls. Good views over the Darjeeling Hills.
- Viramma Resort, Hill Cart Road, ☎ . A luxury resort on the Darjeeling highway.
- Miramar Resort, NH 31 Post: Bidhannagar, ☎ , e-mail: , 91 9434048608 , 91 email@example.com.
- Saluja Residency, Hill Cart Road, ☎ . Business Centre is complete with all modern facilities like Secretarial services, Fax, Internet, E-mail, Photocopying Non-AC Rs. 750-1050, AC Rs. 1500-1900, Suites Rs. 3,600-4,900.
- Hotel Vinayak, 35, Hill Cart Road (Near Punjab National Bank), ☎ . , 2433154
There are a host of internet cafes in the lanes behind Hotel Heritage/Hotel Manila (across from the main bus station). There is also an internet cafe among the row of restaurants directly outside NJP Station. Web connections in Siliguri are fast and reliable.
There are several banks on Sevoke Road that offers foreign exchange and ATM service.
- Gompa Dara
- Loleygaon or Lolegaon
- Phuentsholing. The Bhutan Government buses depart for Phuentsholing at 7:30AM and 1:30PM everyday from directly across from the bus station (near Hotel Heritage) - tickets are available on the bus. There are more frequent Indian buses to the border town of Jaigaon.
|Routes through Siliguri|
|Darjeeling ← Kurseong ←||N S||→ Jalpaiguri|