Sopron (pronounced "shop-ron"; German: Ödenburg, Croatian: Šopron, Latin: Scarbantia) is a city in Hungary, close to the Austrian border, with a population of about 61.000. The officially bilingual town (historical German language name Ödenburg).
When the area that is today Western Hungary was a province of the Roman Empire, a city called Scarbantia stood here. Its forum was located where the main square of Sopron can be found today. During the period of mass migration the once prosperous Scarbantia declined to become a lifeless city of ruins; a new settlement was created here only after the Hungarians took over the territory. Hungarians strengthened the old Roman city walls and built a castle. The town was named in Hungarian after a castle steward named Suprun. In 1273 King Otakar II of Bohemia occupied the castle. Even though he took the children of Sopron's nobility with him as hostages, the city opened its gates when the armies of King Ladislaus IV of Hungary arrived. The king rewarded Sopron by elevating it to the rank of free royal town. In 1529 the Turks devastated the city, but it did not fall under Turkish domination. Many Hungarians fled from the occupied areas to Sopron, and the city's importance grew. While the Ottomans occupied most of central Europe, the region north of lake Balaton remained in the Kingdom of Hungary (1538–1867). In 1676 Sopron was destroyed by a fire. The modern-day city was born in the next few decades, when Baroque buildings were built to replace the destroyed medieval ones. Sopron became the seat of the comitatus Sopron. Until 1918, the town (bilingual names OEDENBURG - SOPRON) was part of the Austrian monarchy, province of Hungary; inTransleithania after the compromise of 1867 in the Kingdom of Hungary. Following the breakup of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, after local unrest, Sopron's status as part of Hungary (along with that of the surrounding eight villages) was decided by a controversial, local plebiscite held on December 14, 1921, with 65% voting for Hungary. Since then Sopron has been called Civitas Fidelissima ("The Most Loyal Town"), and the anniversary of the plebiscite is a city holiday. Sopron suffered greatly during World War II and it was bombed several times. The Soviet Red Army captured the city on April 1, 1945. On August 19, 1989 the "Pan-European Picnic" took place near Sopron, when the "Iron Curtain" between Austria and Hungary was lifted for a few hours, allowing some hundred GDR citizens to cross the border.More
¤ After being suppressed during the Cold War, Sopron's German-speaking culture and heritage are now recognized again. As a consequence, many of the city's street-and traffic-signs are written in both Hungarian and German making it an officially bilingual city due to its proximity to the Austrian frontier.
- Bus Station (Autóbusz-állomás), Lackner Kristóf utca 9 (NW 200m from Downtown), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Workdays: 07:00-12:15 & 12:45-15:30, 1st-6th days of each month: M-F 06.00-16.00, Sat 07:00-13:00.. The local service provider is the Kisalföld Volan Ltd. Bus to Kőszeg (daily five-six direct, one to one and half hour), Szombathely (daily five-seven direct, one and half to two hour), Győr (weekday daily seventeen, weekend eleven per day, around two hours, to Budapest no direct bus (first you must to go Székesfehérvár or Veszprém or with a longer detour to Hévíz or Szombathely five to seven hours, - train is much better)
- Train Station (Vasútállomás), Állomás u. 2. (S half km), ☎ . Daily 03:00-23:00. Connected to Vienna by suburban trains every hour, departure from Wien Meidling at xx:38. Travel takes 70 minutes. Actually, Sopron is located within the Vienna regional tariff union, so if you have a ticket or travelcard covering the entire network, you can use it to travel to Sopron (but not other Hungarian towns served by suburban trains). - Services: Domestic Győr–Sopron–Ebenfurth Railway (GYSEV) service area information: Tel: 06/99/517-212 07:15-12:15, 12:35-16:15, 16:35-19:00. Credit card payment is yes. Disabled toilet. International Cash desk. (Open M-F 05:30-19:00 Sa 06:00-13:30, Int'nal information: Tel. 36 99 517156 M-W, F-Sa 08:00-19:20 Th 08:00-20:00)., Left luggage office (open 03:00-23:00, Phone: 36 99 517212) Bicycle parking. - Trains to Győr (hourly until 20:00, one and half hour), Szombathely (a dozen per day, fifty mins), Budapest (around thirty per day but just six direct!, two and half to six hours, HUF 4200-5650, 2nd cl.). - Toward Austria see: ÖBB
¤ The city isn't large, so you can walk or buy a ticket to ride the public bus lines. Local bus timetables. Prices (2014). Tickets: - HUF 320 in advance, - from driver HUF 390. Passes: - HUF 6,900 per month, - HUF 4,300 semimonthly, - HUF 2,250 per seven-day, - HUF 780 per a daily ticket. Local season ticket and single tickets can buy at Volan Tourist Travel Agency (Address: Lackner Kristóf utca) or without queuing, 24/7, from a ticket vending machine, (located in the city ten points.)
- TOURINFORM - Sopron, Liszt Ferenc utca 1 (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 517 527, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Fr 09:00-17:00, Sa 09:00-13:00, Su 9:00-13:00 (May to Sep). Tourinform Call Center ☎:+36 1 438 8080 +800 36 000000
Downtown street by street
- Firewatch Tower (Tűztorony, Ger.:Feuerturm), Fö tér 1 (Downtown), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Jan.-Mar M-Su 9:00-17:00, Apr M-Su 10:00-18:00, May-Aug M-V 10:00-20:00, Sep-Oct M-Su 10:00-18, Nov M-Su 09:00-17:00, Dec M-Su 9:00-17:00. Landmark of the city is the "fire tower", with a museum of history of the city. 61 meters high, there is a wonderful panoramic view from the top. Its cylindrical lower part was built on the remains of the Roman town wall, and served as the north tower of the city from the 13th century onwards. Also on top of the tower is a double-headed eagle, that was a gift from King Ferdinánd II and Queen Eleonóra for the parliamentary session and queen's coronation, both held in Sopron in 1622. HUF1150.
- City Hall (Városháza), Fő tér 1 (Downtown), ☎ . by appointment. The eclectic style building in the year of the millennium (1989) was completed by Hinträger Móric és Károly plans. On the barock main square. Also in December there is a christmas market on the square (must see!). Richly decorated (applied arts) interior design and furnishings. Protected Monument
- Storno House museum (Storno-gyűjtemény), Fő tér 8 (Opposite City hall), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Jan-Mar Tu-Su 10:00-16:00, Apr-Oct Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. Nov Tu-Su 09:00-17:00, Dec Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. A Baroque corner house with Renaissance elements. The building are the closed, round, two-storey corner balcony with its rich ornamentation, the basket-arched gate with the Festetics family’s coat of arms between the two Tuscan half pillars, and the door knockers with their pelican motifs. Here is the Local History Exhibition. The authentic documents and relics collected since 1867 HUF1000.
- Gate of Faith (Hűség Kapu), Fő tér/ Tűztorony utca. This was made in memory of the referendum of 1921. In this referendum Sopron and eight neighbouring villages expressed their wish to remain part of Hungary
- Kossow-House (Kossow ház), Fő tér, 4 (Downtown). Rebuilt in the Baroque era, then established a large residential lobby in the floor above the doorway. Now there is a wine bar
- Fabricius-House (Fabricius-ház), Fő tér, 6 (Downtown), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Apr-Sep Tu-Su 10.00-18.00 or by appointment. from 14th century with interior from 17th and 18th century. The Gothic hall is a wonderful piece of architecture, but the two story loggia with open staircase in the courtyard and the Gothic and Baroque cellars of the rear building also deserve special attention. The owners of the building were always rich citizens and traders with high ranking social positions. The house is named after one of the owners, mayor and magistrate Endre Fabricius, who purchased the house in 1806. There is a medieval cellar hall with a Roman Lapidary. Here is the former Roman Capitol decorating Trias sculpture group. -Three exhibits: Roman Lapidary, "Three thousand years along the Amber Road" archaeological exhibition and 17th and 18th. century bourgeois interior furnishing. Protected Monument Adult/Reduced tickets: History of Sopron and its Surroundings 700/350, Archaeological Exhibition - Roman Lapidary 700/ 350, Town Residences 800/400 (2014).
- Pharmacy Museum (Patika-ház), Fő tér 2 (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 311347, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Sep Tu-Su 10-14. Built in 15th–16th century. The former Angel Pharmacy operated in this house from the middle of the 17th century. Reconstructed in 1850, when the Gensel family extended the house by bricking up the arcades and the corridor. The house was pronounced the first national monument in Hungary by Louis II of Hungary in 1525. Protected Monument Adult/Reduced HUF500/250.
- Gambrinus - House (Gambrinus - Ház), Fő tér 3 (Downtown), ☎ . Only outside. Protected monument. Gothic origin. It was expanded in the late Renaissance style, the facade made in Baroque style. The interior rebuilt in the 18th century. There are frescoes from the 18th century in the rooms upstairs. Protected Monument
- Former County Hall (Vármegyeháza), Fő tér 5. (Downtown). Built in 1896. Protected Monument
- Holy Trinity Column] (Szentháromság-szobor), Fő tér (Downtown), ☎ . 24/7. One of the best-known attractions of the square. A masterpiece of the Hungarian Baroque (1701). Protected Monument Free. [Szentháromság-szobor
- General and Lackner House (Tábornok-és Lackner-ház), Fő tér 7 (Downtown). Here was the residence of the mayor dr. Lackner Kristóf (1571-1631). Protected Monument
- St. Jude Thaddeus Dominican Church and the former Dominican Monastery (Szent Júdás Tádé Templom (Domonkos Templom), Domonkos kolostor), Széchenyi tér 3-4 (Southern rim of Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 508986, e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 10.00-18.00. Baroque church with two towers built between 1719 and 1725, it is still without a tower, they only later, in the 1740's raised. The Dominican Monastery is now a school, built in Baroque, 1745-1750. The dining room decorated with whitewashed frescoes and richly curved wooden paneling, Baroque, around 1750.
- Former Széchényi Mansion (Széchényi Ferenc ház), Széchenyi tér 1 (Southern rim of Downtown). Just outside. Dwelling house, former Széchenyi Palace, the 18th century origin, Classicist style, rebuilt in 1827-1851. Count Ferenc Széchenyi held in here his valuable medal, book and map collection.
- Post Palace (Main Post office.Postapalota), Széchenyi tér 7-10 (Southern Downtown). Outstanding masterpiece of the Hungarian Art Nouveau. Carved in stone,-above the main entrance,-the Hungarian decorative coat of arms. Remained in the Art Nouveau style furniture too. Protected Monument . Architects: Ambrus Orth & Emil Somló, 1913
- Decorative garden with Széchényi Monument (Dísz tér a Széchényi emlékművel), Széchenyi tér (Southern rim of Downtown). 24/7. Full figure bronze statue. It was made by Matra Lajos, in 1896. Free.
- Liszt Ferenc Cultural Centre (Liszt Ferenc Kulturális és Konferencia Központ), Széchenyi tér 1 (Downtown). Former Casino. A five-storey building with conference, theater, dance, concerts, session and exhibition halls. - The piano virtuoso, composer, conductor and teacher Franz Liszt was born in Doborján (Raiding), in former Sopron County. The house where he was born is a memorial museum today. Today the new Conference and Cultural Centre, a choir, and the town's symphony orchestra bear the name of the Maestro. One of the most beautiful buildings in the city center.
- Flag of Loyalty (Hűségzászló), Széchenyi tér (Downtown). 24/7. Free.
- Dwelling houses on Széchenyi square (lakóházak a Széchenyi téren), Széchenyi tér (Downtown). Protected Monuments #5 (Classicist, 1855-1861. Modified 1879), #14 (early romantic, 1849), #17-18. (Romantic, circa 1860), #19 (Romantic 1856 Designed by Handler Nándor), #20 (Romantic, 1855)
- Berzsenyi Lutheran High School (Berzsenyi Gimnázium), Széchenyi tér 11. (Downtown). Just outside. Protected Monument. Classicist, 1825. Modified in eclectic style in 1894.
New (Új) Street
- Old Synagogue (Ó-Zsinagóga), Új utca 22 (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 311347, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Oct Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. Built in end of 13th century in Gothic style. This is a unique piece of Jewish architecture in Eastern Europe. A corridor from the entrance leads to the main hall. Its main door is decorated with a tympanum, and two side consoles date from 1300, the time of construction. The two focal points of the synagogue are the Aaron alcove and the pulpit. . There is a collection of Jewish religion and customs Adult / Student+pens HUF800/400.
- Synagogue (Zsinagóga), Új utca 11 (Downtown). A dwelling house with medieval details. Built in Baroque style, 18th century. The courtyard wing of the house is a synagogue, now a museum, Built in Gothic, circa 1350. Modified in the second half of the 15th century .
- Civic Apartment houses (Polgári lakóházak), Új utca (Downtown). Just outside. #4 (Baroque, 1710th Modified in the middle of the 19th century. Now office), #5 (18th-century origin. Received its present form in 1841), #7 (details of medieval, mostly Baroque style, 18th century), # 9 (Gothic style, 15th century. Modified in Renaissance and Baroque styles in the 17-18th centuries. Upstairs room decorated with stucco ornaments, Baroque, first half of the 18th century.), #13 (medieval, baroque, 18th century), #15 (medieval, Baroque, second half of 17th century), #17 (Baroque, about 1720), #18 (medieval baroque origin1748th Upstairs areas with frescoes, baroque, 1770-1780), #19(Baroque, late 17th century), #20 (Baroque, 18th century), #21(medieval, late Renaissance , around 1650. Two first-floor rooms with carved beam ceilings, made in the mid 17th century), #24 (medieval, baroque, 18th century), #26 (details of medieval age, baroque 18th century - Its Romantic facade made in circa 1860), #28. (medieval, baroque, 18th century, partly modified).
Church (Templom) Street
- Chapter Hall (Káptalan Terem), Templom utca 1 (Downtown), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Apr-Oct Tu-Su 10.00-18.00, Nov-Mar 10.00-16.00. Public Exhibition Room. Gothic origins at the end of the 13th century, renovated in the beginning of the 14-15th centuries . Ornamental and figurative painting remains, from the 14th century
- Mining Museum in Palais Esterhazy (Central Mining Museum, Központi Bányászati Múzeum), Templom utca 2 (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 312667, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su Nov-Mar 10:00-16:00, Apr-Oct 10:00-18:00 Closed on : Monday. Baroque building. This is the largest and most comprehensive mining collection] of Hungary. The most interesting part of the exhibition is a life-size mineshaft from the beginning of the 20th century. This museum offering an unforgettable experience to Hungarian and foreign tourists, with signs in German, English and Slovakian. HUF700/400.
- Bezerédj house (Bezerédj ház), Templom utca 6 (Downtown). Just outside. A baroque building based on medieval foundations, was built around 1710. One of the most beautiful rococo palace in Sopron¤ Várnegyed/Burgviertel (medieval city core)
- Forestry Collection (Erdészeti Gyűjtemény), Templom utca 4 (Downtown), ☎ 36 99 338870, fax: +36 99 523419, e-mail: email@example.com. Th-Tu 10.00-17.00. Multi-million-year old fossilized fragments of silicified trees, map from 1656, documents from the late 1800s, insect collections made in 1870, wooden household and user devices from the last century, machine models, maquettes. Hidvégi Béla's Hunting collection or 'National treasures: the forest' exhibitions HUF800/500 (each), HUF1300/700 (combined).
- Great Lutheran Church (nagy evangélikus templom), Templom utca 19 (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 523003, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Masses: Sundays at 8.00 and 10.00 (Hungarian), at 9.00 (German), at 9.00 (for children's in the Great Hall). Open during Church Service or by prior appointment. - Parish official hours: weekdays: 08-12.. 1783. Evangelic Collection. The third largest Lutheran church in Hungary. A hall church , which was divided into three vessels with eight huge Tuscan columns. The middle nave is wider and higher than the side aisles. A two level choir built over the side of the naves
- Goat Catholic Church (Szent Benedek Rend Nagyboldogasszony Temploma (Bencés /Kecske/ Templom)), Templom u. 1 (Downtown, on the southern side of the Firewatch Tower), ☎ . The City main roman catholic church also provided a venue for coronations and parliamentary sessions. Main sights are the frescoes, the lancet windows, and the unique Capistran pulpit
- Former Benedictine convent and the Chapter House (Bencés kolostor), Templom u. 1 (Next to the Goat church). A late Baroque door on the south side of leads to the Chapter House. There are unveiled Gothic pillars, beautifully crafted corbels and parts of medieval frescos. The distorted animal figures below brackets symbolize the medieval seven deadly sins: crouching monkey (arrogance), shrimp (inconstancy) winged devil or griffin - Infidelity , sleeping man and bat (sloth), animal-bodied man and woman (lust), female legs and hoofed creature grinning monster bent (envy) and bear (gluttony). The keystone represents:Angel with trumpet (Last Judgment), pelican with blood feeding its sons (Christ), Eagle with sentence ribbon ( St. John the Evangelist), angel figurine with sentence ribbon (St. Matthew the Evangelist) , winged lion (St. Mark the Evangelist), winged ox (St. Luke the Evangelist)
- Former Priests House (Evangélikus paplakok), Templom utca 17 (Downtown,). Just outside. Baroque, 17th century origins, its present form was built in the 1710s
- Houses in Baroque style (barokkstílusú lakóházak), Templom utca 5-28 (Downtown). #5 (medieval origin, Baroque and 18th century. One upstairs room 'kváder' pavement and painted interior room, 15th century), #6 (medieval base. Baroque rebuilding around 1710. Courtyard wings rebuilt in the late Classical style in 1850.), #7 (built on medieval foundations. mostly Baroque elements; in the 16-19th centuries rebuilt several times.), #9 (Gothic, 14-15th centuries. Modified from the 16th and 18th centuries and in the second half of the 19th century.), #11 ( late Renaissance elements. Medieval foundations, 1650's), # 12 (Medieval details. Baroque, 1767th), #13 (Medieval details, Baroque, 18th century), # 14 (Gothic, 15th century. Modified in late Renaissance style in the 1680's), #15 (Baroque, 1782), #16 (medieval origin, Baroque, 18. Modified 1837), #17 (Baroque, 17th century, in the form of origin, today was built in the 1710's.), #18 (Baroque, 1723), # 19 (Baroque, early 18th century), #20 (Baroque 1720's. Modified neoclassical style in the 1830's), #21 (Baroque origin, rebuilt in eclectic style around 1870), #22 (Baroque, around 1720. Current facade received in 1876, eclectic style), #25 (Romantic style, 1860.), #27 (Romantic, around 1870.)
- Lutheran Church Collection (Evangélikus Egyházközség Gyűjteménye), Templom utca 12 (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 523003, e-mail: email@example.com. Former Priests Residence
- Széchenyi István High School (Széchenyi István Gimnázium), Templom u. 26 (Downtown). Just outside. Monument. Romantic style, 1858
- Green House (Ház), Templom utca 3 (Downtown). =Just outside. Cultural heritage monument. Eclectic, 1872
- Baroque House, Templom u. 18 (Downtown). Just outside. Protected monument. Baroque, 1723
- Töpler House (Töpler-ház), Templom utca 22 (Downtown). Two-story baroque building. Substantially reconstucted in the second half of the 19th century.
Monastery (Kolostor) Street
- Kolostor street's palaces (Kolostor utca palotái), Kolostor utca (Downtown). Just outside. East side of the street are decorated town houses and noble palaces. #1, 3, 5, 7, 9
- Former Zichy-Meskó Palace (Zichy-Meskó palota), Kolostor u. 11.. Two-story enclosed balcony. Arched doorways leading into the courtyard. Staircase with beautiful wrought iron gates and with baroque stone sculptures. The female figures placed in niches could be made around 1770. There are allegorical sculptures of Luck, Force, Truth and Science (1725). Ceremonial Hall with baroque ceiling paintings from the 18th century. Receiving Room with the two Panno figures, around 1740, Van Roy works. Also here can be see some nice wood paneling made in the mid-18th century.)
- Monument Mansions (Polgárházak), Vary. - Kolostor u. (Downtown). #1 (Gothic, Baroque, built in 1776. Richly decorated stucco ceiling (on the second floor), first half of 18th century), #3 (medieval details, late Baroque, 18th century), #5 (With Gothic and Renaissance details mainly Baroque, 17-18th centuries. - The facade: Late Gothic and late Renaissance painting remains of 16th century. Doors and windows: mostly made in 18th century, with baroque fittings), #7 (Gothic origin, 14-15 century. - Rebuilt in neoclassical style in the first half of the 19th century. Interiors with 'kváder' room painting from the 15th century.), #9 (Gothic, baroque, mid-18th century), #13 (medieval, renaissance late, 1628. Now there are offices.).
Ursuline (Orsolya) square
- Fomer Ursuline Church and convent (Immaculate Conception Church, Szeplőtelen Fogantatás Templom, Orsolyita-templom, volt Orsolyita zárda), Orsolya tér 2-3 (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 523511. Daily 10.00-18.00. - Holy Mass: Sun 09.00 and 10:30, M-F 7:15, Sat 17,00. The fiesta on every December 8. - Adoration: the week of March 19 on Tuesday and feast day the Heart of Jesus is.. Roman Catholic. Romantic style with neo-gothic markings (1864). One of the most impressive architectural monuments of the past century. Replaced the former small convent church of the Holy Cross (1770's). Full romantically decorated, made around 1860. Sacristy cabinet, made around 1780. Baroque sculptures, made around 1740. - The Ursuline convent was built,-using two baroque buildings,-Romantic style in 1864. Designer: Ferdinand Handler. - Now: grade school.
- Mary's Well (Mária-kút), Orsolya tér (Right before Ursuline Church). 24/7. 18th century. Maria Immaculata sculpture staying on an indoor pool imitating base Free.
- Legged-House (Lábas-ház), Orsolya tér 5 (Downtown), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10.00-14.00. Built around 1570, the ground floor has ever lined butcher. Temporary exhibitions HUF500/250 (2014).
- Caesar-House (Caesar-ház, Soproni Horváth József Gyűjtemény), Orsolya tér, Hátsókapu u. 2. (Downtown,), ☎ . Th-Su 10:00-13:00, Sa 10:00-13:00 and 15:00-18:00, Closed: Mon, Tue, Wed or by appointment. A corner house. Baroque building with late Renaissance details, built in the 17-18th centuries . The second-floor hall made around 1700, early baroque, ornamental stucco ceiling. József Horváth Painter Memorial Exhibition. Adults: HUF 600, Student, Senior: HUF 300.
St. George (Szent György) street
- Medieval shop window and door on a building (Középkori üzlet bejárata , German:Neugebaude), Szent György utca 1. (Downtown).
- Church of St. George (Szent György-templom), Szent György utca (Downtown), ☎ , fax: +36 99 525031, e-mail: email@example.com. Open Daily 10:00-18:00. Masses: Su 08:00 (Latin), 10:00 (student-Mass), 17:00 (with organ), 19:30 (guitar) , M-Sa 18:00 (with organ). Built between 1380-1430, originally Gothic church with single nave. The arched nave closures decorated with stucco. Both side are chapels. It has got a lively, Italianate facade of the 18th century. The eclectic tower was built in 1882. Next to the sanctuary in the baptisms chapel is some medieval fresco fragment. Furniture of 18th century. The stucco ornaments made between 1705-1706 and its Pietro Antonio Conti's work,
- Eggenberg House (Eggenberg-ház), Szent György utca 12 (Downtown). 17th century, late Renaissance building. There is the Branderburg coat of arms,-over the gate,- and the Hohenzollern coat of arms,- in courtyard with balcony,- can be see.
- Forum of Scarbantia, Iron House (Vasaló-ház, Fórum Kiállítás), Szent György u. 2 / Új u. 1. (Downtown), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su Apr- Sep l0:00- 18:00, Oct - Mar 10:00- l4:00. Scarbantia (the Roman name of Sopron) was one of the border stations of the Province of Pannonia in the former Roman Empire. It was a part of the Amber Road, an important commercial route. The center of the Roman City was the Forum. Built of 'Lajta' limestone delivered here from the Fertőrákos (around ten km away) quarry. During the excavations between 1960 and 1970 the pedestals of three bronze equestrian statues were found on the southern part of the square. Altars to different gods were discovered on the sides of the Forum. The temples of the three main gods – Jupiter, Juno and Minerva - were situated at the highest point of the town. Adults/Students HUF300/150 (2011).
- Szent György street monument houses (Műemlék lakóházak), Szent György utca (Downtown). Dwelling houses: #8 (Medieval origin, rebuilt in Baroque, 18th century. Partly converted into the romantic style in the second half of the 19th century.), #10 (Baroque, 18th century. Highly modified.), #15 (Medieval origin, baroque, 17th c.), #19 (Baroque, 18th century.), #22 (Gothic, late Renaissance, 1648. There is on the first and second floors one-one 17th-century carved wood-beamed room.), #24 (Romantic, 1860). Other buildings: #1 Neugebäude, #5 Provost House, #7: Chapter House, #9 was a Benedictine high school, now the School of Forestry, #11th Lenk gateway, #14 Lutheran house of Convention (Gothic 15th century. Modified in Baroque style in the 18th century), #16 Former Erdődy Palace (Baroque, around 1740).
- Lenck Passage (Lenk gateway Lenck-átjáró), Szent György utca 11. (Downtown). On the facade the "Amazing fishing" relief and the Lenck family signboard can be see. The Szent György street connects with the Várkerület via Lenck Passage. Free.
- Former Chapter House (Káptalan-ház, Kanonok Ház), Szent György utca 7 (Downtown). Just outsde. A magnificent two-story late-Renaissance palace erected around 1650. Health Training Institute
- Former Boarding school (Internátus), Szent György u.13. (Downtown). Just outsde. Medieval origin, rebuilt in Baroque in the 17th century. Modified in the 18th and 19th centuries. Now Forestry secondary school.)
- Former Jesuit konviktus; dwelling house (Jezsuita konviktus; lakóház), Szent György u. 5. (Downtown). Just outsde. Late Renaissance, 1644. The second floor was built around 1680.
- Loyalty Fountain (Hűségkút), Várkerület. The fountain of three full-length bronze statues symbolize the city's history main events.
- Mary's column. (Mária-oszlop), Várkerület ~16 (Near to Loyalty Fountain). 24/7. Baroque, 1745. The reliefs depict scenes from the life of Mary (Annunciation, Mary and Elizabeth meeting, Adoration of the Shepherds, Presentation of Jesus in the Temple). Free.
- Pannónia Gallery (Pannónia Galéria), Várkerület 75. (Downtown), ☎ . Daily 9.00-17.00. Monthly a new exhibition can be senn in the gallery.Services: café, buffet, toilet/WC, cloak-room Free.
- Castle of Sopron remains (Vármaradvány), Várkerület. Roman walls remains can be see here several meters above the ground (Concrete shell protected against the weather). - City walls: The town core was surrounding with triple protection ring now only the outer ring wall sections remained. The most impressive part of the Barbican or The large Round Bastion. The large Round Bastion, located in the castle district doubles side part of Sopron inner walls. Here, the closed row of houses is broken and a fairly long section of the city walls can be seen. Photos
- Rejpal House (Rejpal Ház), Várkerület #7 (N of Downtown. At the corner of Festő-köz (Painter Alley)). Museum. Medieval details. Renaissance, around 1560. Expanding in the 1790's. The ceilings of the second floor painted, carved, wood-beamed also there is some decorative wall painting, 16th century. The two level dwelling house medieval predecessor was raised Roman building remains. Its present shape formed in the second half of the 16th century Renaissance style, although significant medieval details - such as the Gothic staircase - is preserved. Yard wings expanded the 16-17th centuries. At one time it was owned by tradesmen (blacksmiths, butchers, confectioners). - In front of the house is the statue of the painter Jozef Horvath.
- Rococo building (Rokokó lakóház), Várkerület 9 (corner of Festő köz). Two-story rococo building received its present form in 1750-60. On the right side a cross-vaulted doorway give direct access to the courtyard. The upstairs living room decorated with stucco. In another room there is a Renaissance wooden ceiling.
- Dwelling House with eclectic facade (Lakóház), Várkerület 11 (N of Downtown). Just outside. Baroque, 18th century. Interiors of carved wood-beamed ceilings.
- Catholic Collection (Katolikus Gyűjtemény), Várkerület 25 (Right out of Downtown), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Open: May-Oct, Tue 14.00-16.00, Th 09.00-11.00. Adult / Students and pensioners: HUF 800/400.
- Dwelling House (Lakóház, Patikaház), Hátsókapu u. 3./ Várkerület 108. Just outside. Baroque, 1773
- Dwelling House (Lakóház), Várkerület 19 (N of Downtown). Just outside. Medieval foundations. Rebuilt in Rococo style, in 1757. At the right wing of the building is a Renaissance door frame in the wall, 16th century.
- Dwelling house (Lakóház), Várkerület 59. Just outside.
- Dwelling house (Lakóház), Várkerület 77 (E of Downtown). Just outside. Classicist, eclectic styles, 1868.
- Arany Angyal Inn (Arany Angyal vendégfogadó; lakóház), Várkerület 51. Just from outside. It was the Golden Angel Inn. Baroque style around 1800. Modified in the second half of the 19th century.
- Former Fehérló Inn (Fehérló vendégfogadó; lakóház), Várkerület 55. Just from outside. It was the White Horse Inn Medieval origin. Then baroque reconstruction, 18. Classicist transformation.
- Füredi house (Füredi-ház), Várkerület 67 (E of Downtown). Copf style, 1778
- Dwelling houses (Lakóházak), Várkerület. #2 (Baroque, 1770), #5 (Baroque, 18th century), #8 (Baroque, 18th century), #9 (Baroque 1750's. Upstairs great room with rich stucco ceilings, 18th century), #10 (eclectic, romantic, 1851. There is wooden ceiling of the 18th century), #11 (Baroque, 18th century, the Facade is eclectic - Carved beamed wood ceilings, 18th century), #13 (Rococo, circa 1750.), #15 (Eclectic, 1870's. The courtyard wing made in Baroque style, 18th century), #17 (Rococo , circa 1750), #19 (Medieval foundations. Rebuilt in rococo, 1757. Renaissance door frame, 16 century.), #20 (current form got with an additional floors in 1846), #21 (17th century origin. Rebuilt in Baroque in the 1780's. Facade is eclectic, 1881. Modified in 1885.), #22 (late Baroque, around 1800. Partly modified), #23 (late Romantic, circa 1870.), #24 (early Classicist, circa 1800), #25 (baroque, 1733-1735. There is a Maria Immaculata fresco in upstairs loggia , circa 1750. Repainted Storno Kalman, 1925), #27 (baroque, 18th-century origin. transformed into the romantic style. The facade made in around 1870), #29 (Baroque, circa 1720.), #30 (romantic, circa 1860), #31 (Baroque, 17th century. - Current facade got around 1730), #33 (late Classical and early eclectic, mid 19th century.), #35 (late Classical, middle 19th century), #37 (Now Post Office, Built in Baroque, 18th century. Rebuilt in eclectic style in 1896), #39 (Baroque, 18th century.), #43 (Baroque, 18th century origin. Modified), #47 (Baroque, 18th century origin. Modified), #49 (Romantic style, around 1850), #53 (Baroque, 18th century origin. Substantially rebuilt), #54 (eclectic, 1885), #56 (romantic, 1861), # 57 (Rococo, circa 1750), #62 (Romantic, 1862. Rebuilt in 1883.), #63 (Baroque, 18th century. Modified in the 19 century), #65 (Eclectic, 1883), #70 (Classicist, 1815. - Designed by Jakab Handler), #72 (Romantic, 1862 - Second floor finished in 1883), # 74 (Romantic, 1859), # 77 (Classicist and eclectic details, 1868), #79 (late Classical, circa 1840), # 85 (Romantic style, circa 1860), #88 (Classicist, 1814-1816), # 92 (late Baroque, circa 1800. Partly modified, rear wing facade decorated with a St John of Nepomuk Statue from 1790's), #94 (early Eclectic, around 1870), #104 (Baroque, around 1770. Modified and expanded with second floor in the second half of the 19th century), #106 (romantic, 1860), #108 (Romantic, circa 1860), #110 (Classicist, 1814 Built by Handler Jakab).
- Formerly Hungarian King restaurants (Magyar Király vendéglő; iskola és diákotthon), Várkerület 73 (E of Downtown). Classicist origin. Transforming in the second half of the 19 century. Now school and dormitory
- Old casino (Régi kaszinó), Petőfi tér 3. (Downtown). Built in 1789.
Out of Downtown
¤ Buy some bottles of the famous Hungarian wine "Kékfrankos"
¤ Take a walk in the forest around the city.
¤ Drink a coffee in the café at Széchényi Tér with a view on the beautiful Liszt Ferenc Központ (Theatre and Casino).
¤ Festival Weeks - Concerts in the Cave Theatre in Fertőrákos.
¤ Early Music Festival
¤ Choral Festivals
¤ Spring Days
¤ Sopron Wine Festival
¤ Pan-European Picnic
Shopping is (still) cheaper than in neighbouring Austria.
In the city you can buy trendy clothes in the shop "Jeans Club" or you can buy clothes and other stuff in the Plaza outside of the city. There's a new shopping centre near to the border of the town, where you can find shops of various famous brands, like Benetton or New Yorker.
Lots of restaurants, predominantly Hungarian but also Viennese cuisine, frequented by Austrian daytime tourists.
Tips: Graben Restaurant on the street around the city centre, Hungarian and Austrian specialites. The restaurant has a good atmosphere.
Mediterrano: it has 3 restaurants, one of them is called "Spago". Italian food and good wines, there are mostly younger people because of it's design.
If you're in Sopron, you have to drink a glass of the famous wine of the area around sopron, it's called "Kékfrankos".
There's also a disco in the city plaza, the "Colosso".
- Best Western Pannonia Hotel. Varkerulet 75, About €30-80. The oldest hotel in the city with free Wi-Fi.
- Hotel Sopron. Providing a view to the town, 10 minutes to the Austrian-Hungarian border. It takes 5 minutes walking to reach the heart of the city.
- Hotel Fagus wellness and conference hotel in the Lövér forest. 7 km from the Austrian border.
- Hunguest Hotel Szieszta in the middle of a park in the Lővérek, a green hilly area with a view onto the town.
- Mandarin Pension. Baross u. 1. About €30-80. Not recommended, next to 2 railway lines, a busy road and a night club.
- Danubius Bio Sport Hotel Lövér. Varisi ut 4. About €65-155.
- Rosengarten Hotel near the downtown and offering a full range of services in dental tourism to its guests.
- Saphir Aqua Aparthotel. Opened in summer 2010 in a pine forest area. The 4-star aparthotel offers 30 apartments in different sizes.
Sopron is close to the quarries of Fertőrákos, where in summer operas are held, and with a nice view on the Neusiedler See / Lake Fertő.
Near to the city is the Castle Esterházy in Fertőd.