South Kingstown is the largest town in the South County region of Rhode Island. It contains the villages of Matunuck, Kingston and Wakefield, each covered in their respective articles, as well as the villages of West Kingston and Peacedale. South Kingstown showcases some of Rhode Island's oldest buildings. South Kingstown is home to the University of Rhode Island. Throughout the summertime, tourists come in to spend time relaxing on the many beaches located in or near South Kingstown.
- 95 South — Take Exit 9 towards North Kingstown. For Kingston and West Kingston, take Exit 5B off Route 4 and a left at the light. For Wakefield, stay on Route 4 until it merges onto Route 1 S and stay on until you reach the Wakefield exit. For Matunuck, stay on Route 4 until it merges into Route 1 S. After roughly 13 miles, make a U-turn onto Route 1 N and take a right at Matunuck Beach Rd, and a left at Atlantic Ave.
- 95 North — Take Exit 3A towards Route 138 and URI's Kingston Campus. For Kingston and West Kingston, stay on Route 138 and you will be brought directly there. For Wakefield, stay on Route 138, after roughly six miles take a right at Route 108. After two miles, with the South Kingstown Public Library on your left, take a left on High Street.
- Amtrak, 1 Railroad Av., West Kingston, +1 800-872-7245, . Although newly renovated, his historic train station has been there since 1875. It is one of Rhode Island's three stations. Van/car service is available to Newport. Call +1 401-295-1100 for information and (required) reservations.
- T. F. Green Airport, 2000 Post Road, Warwick (Take US 1 S... Exit 5B, left at light, will take you into Kingston area with the URI Kingston campus. If you want to go into Wakefield, US 1 S will take you right there.). Located 6 miles south of Providence.
- RIPTA. Bus System that travels through the state of Rhode Island. For schedules and prices visit the website at .
- Wakefield Cab Co Inc., 73 Emmett Lane, Wakefield, ☎ . Family-owned taxi business.
- Wright's Taxi, 31 Canal St, Westerly, RI 02891 +1 401 596-8294- Although operated out of Westerly and Narragansett, Wright’s Taxi serves South Kingstown RI for any transportation needs.
- Entertainment Cinemas South County Commons, 30 Village Square Drive, ☎ . Located in the South County Commons development, Entertainment Cinemas is South County's only multiplex-style cinema. First-run movies show seven days a week with matinee prices all day on Tuesdays, and discounts for students on Wednesdays.
- Courthouse Center for the Arts, 3481 Kingstown Rd., West Kingston ((On Route 138)), ☎ . Previously the Old Washington Courthouse, this theatre and art gallery is now used for education in the following arts; music, theatre, dance, photography, and art. There are also adult programs for authors and lectures on various topics. Events occur year round.
- South Kingstown Town Beach at Matunuck -, ☎ . Located in South Kingstown on Matunuck Beach Road, Rhode Island 02883. This calm, family-friendly beach offers 1,300 feet of beautiful beach, including a boardwalk, playground, and communal volleyball court and picnic area. Just a short walk to local ice cream, pizza and deli restaurants. Requires a seasonal pass for residents or nonresidents if you need to park; free for walk-on only. For more information, please visit: http://www.southkingstownri.com
There is a variety of beaches within 20 minutes of anywhere in South Kingstown, however, here are some fun spots right here.
- Old Mountain Bowling Lanes, 756 Kingstown Rd, Wakefield, ☎ . F Sa nights: Rock n' Bowl.
Sunday nights: $10 for bowling and hotdog/hamburger and fries.
- South County Commons, 50 South County Commons Way, ☎ . South Kingstown. The South County Commons offers a variety of tourist and local establishments. This is the home to Calvitto’s Bakery, Applebees, Shogun II, Trattoria Romano, Brewed Awakenings, and Lickety Splits Ice Cream and Sweets Shop for food, but that is not all this center has to offer. The Commons is home to a variety of shops and businesses as well as the local Cinema. The Hampton Inn is also located in The Commons for visitors' stay. Apartments and condominiums are also available for those looking to make South Kingstown their home. The Commons also offer a gazebo and plenty of space for those looking to enjoy the landscape and during the summer, different bands and events are generally planned for entertainment.
- Neighborhood Guild, 325 Columbia Street, Peacedale, ☎ . Hosts concerts, activities, clubs and has a popular park out front. Over the summer, there are outdoor concerts on the park.
- The Ryan Center, ☎ . One Lincoln Almond Plaza. Attend various events which ranges from men and women high school and collegiate games, concerts, Harlem Globetrotters boat show, circus and show for the kids and family. Check out the event calendar on the website for upcoming events.
- South Kingstown Public Library, 1057 Kingstown Rd, Peacedale, ☎ . Hours vary. Wide selection of books, also has some movies and music.
- William C. O'Neill Bike Path, 401-789-4422 Currently extends 5.6 miles starting the West Kingston train station and ending at Route 108. It goes through the Great Swamp, Peace Dale and Historic Wakefield. Construction is currently underway to extend the path to Narragansett.
Parks There a number of parks located in or near South Kingstown available to use for sports recreation, family events, playgrounds, swimming and other such activities. These places are generally surrounded by, if no located in, woodsy areas so it is important to have bug spray and be aware of plants and wildlife around the locations.
- West Kingston Park, 3840 Kingstown Rd. West Kingston, RI 02892. This park has tennis courts, basketball court, volleyball sand pit, softball fields and playground. Pets are also allowed as long as they are trained, get along with people and other animals, and are cleaned up after.
- Fourth of July Celebration at Old Mountain Field,, 756 Kingstown Road, ☎ . South Kingstown - - People from all over Rhode Island and out of state come to enjoy one of the largest Fourth of July displays in Rhode Island.
Most of the shops you'll find in South Kingstown are located in Wakefield on Main Street or in the Wakefield Mall.
- Wakefield Mall, 160 Tower Hill Road, Wakefield R.I. 02879. Has Olympia Sports, Hallmark Store, GNC, WetSeal, FYE
- Sweenor’s Chocolates, 21 Charles St, ☎ . Wakefield, RI 02879
- Jennifer’s Chocolates, 160 Old Tower Hill Road, ☎ .
There are many places to grab a quick bite to eat, as well as a few nicer restaurants. Higher-end restaurants are found along the waterfront in neighboring towns such as Narragansett or Newport, but here are some places offering good food and services.
- Panera Bread, 160 Old Tower Hill Road, Wakefield R.I. 02879, ☎ . Simple and cheap. Great place to go if you are trying to grab a quick meal. Good study/work atmosphere
- Bagelz, 90 Pershing Avenue, ☎ . Locally owned coffee and bagel shop, free wi-fi, great studying atmosphere
- Kingston Pizza, 63 Briar Lane, ☎ . Open 7 days a week from 10AM-2AM. Has a variety of items which includes custom made calzones and pizzas, salads and other items.
- Ram’s Den, 50 Lower College Road, ☎ . Serves breakfast all day, with lunch available after 11AM. $2-7.
- River’s Edge,, 387 Main St, ☎ . # B. This popular breakfast cafe has a classic menu that includes favorites such as a $2.99 Early Bird Special.
- PD’s Pizza,, 1202 Kingstown Road, ☎ . Formerly known as PJ's Pizza, this pizzeria has been operating for nearly twenty years.
- Casey's Bar and Grill, 191 Old Tower Hill Road, ☎ . 11:30AM-1AM. Home of URI sports. A Casual Sports bar that offers $2 Coors Light Bottles Tu-Sa. A great place to go to watch a game or just relax and have a beer. Known for it’s famous 10-cent wing night on Tuesday night and Karaoke Sunday. The bar is also a popular place among college students.
- Cucina Twist. Rt. 108. A Casual Fine Dining Restaurant well known for their array of Martinis and Margaritas. Their Signature drinks are Pinelli’s Lemonade, Pinelli’s Passion, and Pinelli’s Fruit Cocktail. Offers a diverse menu with upscale dishes in addition to a variety of sandwiches, burgers, pizza, etc. Best time to go is everday between 4PM-6PM for ½ off appetizers. Tuesday deals: A bottle of wine at ½ price with any entree. $12-20.
- The Pump House,, 1464 Kingstown Road, ☎ . Located in the village of Peace Dale, this restaurant has been serving South Kingstown pleasant food and atmosphere for the past few decades.
- Cap’n Jack’s Restaurant,, 706 Succotash Road, ☎ .
- Hanson’s Pub,, 210 Salt Pond Road, ☎ . Overlooking Salt Pond this bar serves patrons year 'round with reasonable prices.
- Fat Belly's, 333 Main Street, Wakefield R.I., ☎ . Su-Sa 11:30AM-1AM. Great beers on tap. Has only been in Wakefield for a couple years. Also in East Greenwich, Providence, and Warwick
- Casey's Bar & Grill, 191 Old Tower Hill Road, Wakefield R.I., ☎ . Close to the beaches, and has been around since 1981. Very popular place to go, with a great atmosphere. Good for families, couples, and friends. Has a great room for private functions and banquets. Serve's food till midnight
- Bobby G's, 703 Kingston Road, Wakefield R.I. 02879, ☎ . Great place to go for drinks with friends. Very popular to college students on Tuesday nights. Try the $5 Tidal wave
- The Mews Tavern, 456 Main Street, Wakefield R.I. 02879, ☎ . 69 Draught beers available for you to drink. If you are a fan of beer this is the place for you to go. Great food and awesome spot to watch any of the big games
- Ocean Mist, 895 Matunuck Beach Road, Wakefield R.I. 02879, ☎ . M-F 11:30AM-1AM Saturday and Su 9AM-1AM. Literally right on the water and has great views of the ocean. Tuesday nights are very popular because of Ticket Tuesday. $5 dollars for entry and you receive 2 tickets, this can get you any two drinks that you want at the bar. Awesome place for music artists as well
- Brewed Awakenings, 60 S Commons Way, South County (Located in the South County Commons), ☎ . Offering a large variety of coffee drinks, breakfast or lunch items and desserts, this coffee shop also provides WiFi with tables, couches and chairs available for studying or meetings. Nice atmosphere for spending time in with fireplaces and dim lighting.
- Taylor's Landing Country Store, 3362 Kingstown Rd, West Kingston, ☎ . Coffee, drinks and sandwiches. They also occasionally have open mic with music, poetry and comedy on Friday nights.
- Java Madness, 134 Salt Pond Road, ☎ . Wakefield, RI 02879
- Hampton Inn, 20 Hotel Drive, South Kingstown, ☎ . Offers complimentary breakfast, swimming facilities, free internet and fitness center.
- Holiday Inn, 3009 Tower Hill Road, ☎ .
- The King's Rose, 1747 Mooresfield Rd, South Kingstown, ☎ . Bed and Breakfast located right outside of URI's Kingston campus. The 75-year-old Colonial style home features antique rooms and two acres of gardens. It is exhibited as one of the National Register of Historic Places.
- The historic town of Newport offers all sorts of places to see and things to do. Classy restaurants, shops and boutiques downtown, parks, and beaches are only naming a few. Be sure to take a tour of the Newport mansions or take a stroll along the Cliff Walk. Take Route 1 N and merge onto RI 138 E. Take RI 238 S and that will lead you into Newport.
- The city of Providence is another place you may be interested in visiting. There are a number of restaurants along Federal Hill or Thayer's Street with a variety of menus and fancy dining. Bars and night clubs are popular and there are plenty to be found throughout the city. The Providence Place mall has a wide range of stores varying from designer to discount. Take Route 4 N onto 95 N you'll be lead into Providence.
- If you're looking for a broader range of restaurants and bars, Narragansett is right next door. Looking for a nice restaurant? Check out Coast Guard House, Amalfi's, Arturo Joe's, Spain or Turtle Soup. Looking for a popular bar? Charlie O's, Coast Guard House, Bon Vue, Pelly's and Pancho O'Malley's are a few good spots to try.
- Foxwoods Resort & Casino, 39 Norwich-Westerly Road Ledyard Center, CT 06339 (860) 312-3000. The largest casino in the United States is home to thousands of games and four hotels on site.
- Mohegan Sun, 1 Mohegan Sun Boulevard Uncasville, CT 06382 (888) 226-7711. This aesthetically pleasing Casino is home to plenty of games, a hotel, and the very popular Mohegan Sun Arena which plays host to concerts and sporting events.
|Routes through South Kingstown|
|New Haven ← Westerly ←||SW NE||→ Providence → Boston|
|New Haven ← Charlestown ←||S N||→ Wakefield → Providence|
|Griswold ← Richmond ←||W E||→ North Kingstown → Newport|